2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

According to a report by Corriere dello Sport, Fred Vasseur attempted to sign GP Lambiase, Max Verstappen’s race engineer, in hopes that he would be Lewis Hamilton’s race engineer next year. GP turned him down and extended his contract at Red Bull instead.
The suggestion is laughable.

https://racingnews365.com/ferrari-attem ... l---report

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
06 Sep 2024, 10:48
Formu1a uno confirm corrections (parts) will come to Austin to hopefully improve the car's balance.

Article says the floor will be the main area

:wink: Not sure why some said it couldnt happen, Austin is a logical place to bring parts. Three week break before and start of triple header

Wouter

Newey commits to £30m-a-year Aston Martin deal

Adrian Newey is set to join Aston Martin in 2025
Andrew Benson

An Aston Martin source told BBC Sport that Newey has made a long-term commitment to the team,
said to be a five-year contract worth up to a possible £30m a year, including bonuses and add-ons.

The deal will be announced at a news conference organised by Aston Martin at their F1 base at Silverstone on Tuesday.

Newey, who in April negotiated an early exit from his contract as Red Bull chief technical officer, will start work in early March.

The 65-year-old's manager Eddie Jordan refused to discuss the situation when approached for comment by BBC Sport.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/arti ... gqd8lz9g1o
The Power of Dreams!

Chuckjr

Re: Red Bull RB20

Seanspeed wrote:
06 Sep 2024, 12:13
Red Bull, at least when Newey was there, had been extremely good at not getting caught out, and adapting quickly to any issues they did have with the car. Like, do people really not understand that RB's dominance of 2009-2013 ended largely cuz in 2014 and for nearly half a decade afterwards, they had an uncompetitive engine? As soon as the engine became competitive again, they were right back at the front. They've honestly been the most consistently strong team on the grid for a long time if we're counting the things that were actually under their control.

I still have no idea why people are just overlooking the obvious - Newey leaves, and the team becomes lost in how to develop the car or get it in shape over a weekend. That's extremely unlikely to just be some coincidence. He was not some unimportant figure, no matter how much Horner tries to claim so.
Because they are living in denial.

When Newey first went up for sale basically most every person here at f1 tech wanted him on their favorite team or on a team with their favorite driver—or in some cases, where their favorite driver is going next year. Now that Newey’s gone to AM, those same people are coping hard, and giving every excuse they can muster to convince themselves they didn’t need him in the first place. Lol.

As for Horner it’s clear from what I’ve read here, that this is just collateral damage to Horner who seems to be in a one track mindset to turn Red Bull into a ultra car manufacturer like Ferrari or Macca with him as the originator and boss. So everything is secondary to that endeavor.

The way he is dismissing the need for Newey on the team is shameful. Especially after all the success they enjoyed with Newey on the team. But again, it all comes back to the larger view, and in fact, I think Horner would maybe prefer to restart the team in a way similar to what a new coach does in the NFL. Often there is a clearing out of all but just a handful of coaches when a new coach comes in to take over. Horner seems to be doing this and so losing a lot of the team maybe he sees as just opportunity for him to showcase his talent to build a team, rather than concern for the current situation.

I think he thought he could ride 2024 pretty easy to both the championships (the signing of Checo smells of this), and it now it seems he may not get either.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Chuckjr

K1Plus wrote:
06 Sep 2024, 12:14
Also, even though Newey doesn't design aero, there was a saying he was crucial in getting the setup over the race weekend right. In 2021, there were a few weeks when he wasn't there and Red Bull struggled with balance.
He was. He’s a full participating figure and these ideas he just drops in from time to time while mostly vacationing around the world are ridiculous. I personally think the weekend set up for the car was often resolved by him.

The guy bleeds success and he will bring it to Aston.
Watching F1 since 1986.

zoroastar

Chuckjr wrote:
08 Sep 2024, 00:15
K1Plus wrote:
06 Sep 2024, 12:14
Also, even though Newey doesn't design aero, there was a saying he was crucial in getting the setup over the race weekend right. In 2021, there were a few weeks when he wasn't there and Red Bull struggled with balance.
He was. He’s a full participating figure and these ideas he just drops in from time to time while mostly vacationing around the world are ridiculous. I personally think the weekend set up for the car was often resolved by him.

The guy bleeds success and he will bring it to Aston.
yeah its going to feel really strange if redbull are the ones that have problems solving their technical issues. they have always been the one team that rarely stumbled, and if they did, it was fixed by the next update (usually by the next race). i didnt see them letting go of him before he walked away for good. if they seriously believed that Newey wasnt really needed anymore, then i feel they may be learning a hard lesson really soon.

lio007

But they really have to learn the lesson anyway. AN would not have been with the team forever, given his age. Also his bicycle accident shows that things may change heavily from one day to the other.
Don't get me wrong, AN was an integral part of the team. But like any other company, organisations evolve and it's the job of a CEO to prepare and empower the organisation for successions of certain individuals.

In RBR's case for sure it's rather a revolution than evolution given longtime employees (RM, AN, JW) will leave or have already left. Also the budget cap era makes it even harder to ensure stability when other teams come and make big offers.
It gives the lower ranks the chance to step up which is one of the very little positives.
For me the current cap system is very unfair to the lower ranks employees, as stated by ex-F1 engineers. If the system continues like that a lot of team may struggle to hold their engineers as they would earn more money in the non-F1 industry for less working hours... but I'm getting off topic :)

Back on topic: When you look at Dan Fallows & Peter Prodromou, not all ex-RBR-employees can do magic right from the start in other organisations.
So it will be interesting how the team regroups, how it will keep the competitive focus and hands-on mentality.
I hope it's an incentive for the whole Red Bull F1 organisations to show the F1 world: we can cope with that, we are a strong and united team and the top step of the podium is our main focus for the near and foreseeable future!

Sergej
Sergej

Marko said they will run Japan spec in Baku, Lawson ran it in recent Monza test.

Bill
Bill

Chuckjr wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
Red Bull, at least when Newey was there, had been extremely good at not getting caught out, and adapting quickly to any issues they did have with the car. Like, do people really not understand that RB's dominance of 2009-2013 ended largely cuz in 2014 and for nearly half a decade afterwards, they had an uncompetitive engine? As soon as the engine became competitive again, they were right back at the front. They've honestly been the most consistently strong team on the grid for a long time if we're counting the things that were actually under their control.

I still have no idea why people are just overlooking the obvious - Newey leaves, and the team becomes lost in how to develop the car or get it in shape over a weekend. That's extremely unlikely to just be some coincidence. He was not some unimportant figure, no matter how much Horner tries to claim so.

When Newey first went up for sale basically most every person here at f1 tech wanted him on their favorite team or on a team with their favorite driver—or in some cases, where their favorite driver is going next year. Now that Newey’s gone to AM, those same people are coping hard, and giving every excuse they can muster to convince themselves they didn’t need him in the first place. Lol.

As for Horner it’s clear from what I’ve read here, that this is just collateral damage to Horner who seems to be in a one track mindset to turn Red Bull into a ultra car manufacturer like Ferrari or Macca with him as the originator and boss. So everything is secondary to that endeavor.

The way he is dismissing the need for Newey on the team is shameful. Especially after all the success they enjoyed with Newey on the team. But again, it all comes back to the larger view, and in fact, I think Horner would maybe prefer to restart the team in a way similar to what a new coach does in the NFL. Often there is a clearing out of all but just a handful of coaches when a new coach comes in to take over. Horner seems to be doing this and so losing a lot of the team maybe he sees as just opportunity for him to showcase his talent to build a team, rather than concern for the current situation.

I think he thought he could ride 2024 pretty easy to both the championships (the signing of Checo smells of this), and it now it seems he may not get either.
Newey had not being involved in f1 car design for the last 2 years that just facts .he was working on a road car.ground effect cars are are a difficult beast and all teams are having balance issues at some point .the problem with redbull is that they a having issues with older parts which were not problematic on earlier races ,so the question is why have the lost something on the car which aided driverbilty ealier.

bluechris

Bill wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 13:49
Chuckjr wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:

Newey had not being involved in f1 car design for the last 2 years that just facts .he was working on a road car.ground effect cars are are a difficult beast and all teams are having balance issues at some point .the problem with redbull is that they a having issues with older parts which were not problematic on earlier races ,so the question is why have the lost something on the car which aided driverbilty ealier.
So you say that RB even though they had Newey who is one of the last remaining dinosaurs that had knowledge of ground effect cars from the previous era, they designed a car that had no porpoising and it was almost a perfect car without his influence and knowledge?

You have any proofs of what you say because maybe i have missed this info from Horner or anyone else taking credit of the aerodynamice of the RB

Bill
Bill

he initially worked on suspension but the last years he was working on rb17

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 13:38
Marko said they will run Japan spec in Baku, Lawson ran it in recent Monza test.
That test proved useful.

FNTC
FNTC

Going back to spec from just before Newey negotiated his gardening leave and stopped working on the car... :wtf:

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 14:41
Sergej wrote:
That test proved useful.
How so?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 16:54
AR3-GP wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 14:41
Sergej wrote:
That test proved useful.
How so?
In the 2 race weekends, they tested parts of the Bahrain spec, the Hungary spec, and the Japan spec over race distances. They decided on the Japan spec. They were even able to compare the aero balance and balance migration of the Japan spec to the latest spec on the same circuit (Monza race vs Monza test). All of this data would have been useful for understanding why they should go back to Japan spec. I think it's clear that the bad updates started with the Imola floor. I pointed this out a long time ago. This is the first race that the gap between Perez and Verstappen became unmanageable.