Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
yace

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

NewtonMeter wrote:
Good heavens thats ugly! Not an insult to you, I think you did a steller job! But the look of the thing! Someone beat it with an ugly stick.

BTW, what is the reasoning behind the extended front wing pylons?
i agree, the car is ugly like this, but it could be close to this

for the pylons, i was inspired by scrabsf1 http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/2 ... nd-trends/

here is the animated gif:

ImageImageImage

dren

gilgen wrote:
dren wrote:

I think the mercury is used in the dampers to increase the dampening, not as a fluid to change suspension component geometry.
I think that you will find that the use of mercury is also banned, due to its toxicity , and danger to rescuers.
When or where was it banned? Was this in the newest technical directive?
Honda!

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

dren wrote:
gilgen wrote:
dren wrote:

I think the mercury is used in the dampers to increase the dampening, not as a fluid to change suspension component geometry.
I think that you will find that the use of mercury is also banned, due to its toxicity , and danger to rescuers.
When or where was it banned? Was this in the newest technical directive?
It isn't banned. I read somewhere that the amount of mercury used is minuscule too.

astracrazy
astracrazy

NewtonMeter wrote: Good heavens thats ugly! Not an insult to you, I think you did a steller job! But the look of the thing! Someone beat it with an ugly stick.
looks good compared to what the Caterham looks like

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

astracrazy wrote:
NewtonMeter wrote: Good heavens thats ugly! Not an insult to you, I think you did a steller job! But the look of the thing! Someone beat it with an ugly stick.
looks good compared to what the Caterham looks like
True that...
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

What I think is at least 50% of the car on the grid will feature a Catterham like nose as its the simplest way and save resources as they basically carry almost everything over from the previous car and make some height adjustment

CmdrVOODOO

NonNewtonic wrote:What I think is at least 50% of the car on the grid will feature a Catterham like nose as its the simplest way and save resources as they basically carry almost everything over from the previous car and make some height adjustment
Exactly what my thinking has been all along... the bottom half or so of the grid would probably opt for the simplest solution to following the new nose regulations without having to make changes elsewhere to compensate.

I have a feeling some of the 2012 cars are going to look very different than the Catterham does. I think some will be something very different than what we've seen predicted over the last few weeks.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

CmdrVOODOO wrote:...

I have a feeling some of the 2012 cars are going to look very different than the Catterham does. I think some will be something very different than what we've seen predicted over the last few weeks.
I agree, it'll be similar to how BMW took the rules very literally for KERS and had a really simple car, but then the rest of the designs seemed quite normal in comparison. Normal in that they didn't look like ironing boards and didn't have squared out sidepods IIRC.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

PlatinumZealot

gilgen wrote: The FIA have ruled that any device that changes the length of the suspension, is in breach of the regs. Not the aero regs, but the suspension regs.
So if the Merc system is designed to lift or lower the suspension at any point, it is illegal.
You can lift the suspension without changing the length of it ala Renault.

Using the momentium of the decelerating mercury to lift a piston which moves up anti dive is not too bad an Idea!

This is a bit different from the hydraulically linked suspension rumors. Such sustem relies on the difference in suspension travel between front and rear. The front and rear "T" bars connected with a hydraulic system.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

yace wrote:
NewtonMeter wrote:
Good heavens thats ugly! Not an insult to you, I think you did a steller job! But the look of the thing! Someone beat it with an ugly stick.

BTW, what is the reasoning behind the extended front wing pylons?
i agree, the car is ugly like this, but it could be close to this

for the pylons, i was inspired by scrabsf1 http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/2 ... nd-trends/

here is the animated gif:

I modified your photoshop a bit..here is it with the Gator nose.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

aral
aral

n smikle wrote:
gilgen wrote: The FIA have ruled that any device that changes the length of the suspension, is in breach of the regs. Not the aero regs, but the suspension regs.
So if the Merc system is designed to lift or lower the suspension at any point, it is illegal.
You can lift the suspension without changing the length of it ala Renault.

Using the momentium of the decelerating mercury to lift a piston which moves up anti dive is not too bad an Idea!

This is a bit different from the hydraulically linked suspension rumors. Such sustem relies on the difference in suspension travel between front and rear. The front and rear "T" bars connected with a hydraulic system.
Please read article 10.2.1 and article 10.2.3.

yace

n smikle wrote:
I modified your photoshop a bit..here is it with the Gator nose.

OMG! i can't imagine a mercedes with a nose like this!

but you had a good idea
ImageImageImage

pocketmoon

McLaren - 1 Feb
Ferrari - 3 Feb
Force India - 3 Feb
Lotus - 5 Feb
Sauber - 6 Feb
Red Bull - 6 Feb
Mercedes - 21 Feb

I hope that MGP are sitting on something they believe brings such an advantage that it's worth keeping under wraps. I recall the BGP001 was late showing. And there have been some interesting noises coming out of MGP;

"I cannot tell you what we're doing in there [wind tunnel] ... they have some crazy, crazy ideas" - a engineer giving a factory tour last summer.

"We're approaching a revolutionary increase in our understanding of what makes a fast racecar" - Geoff Willis, World Motorsport Symposium 2012

I can but hope :)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

New Mercedes AMG:

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ Pocketmoon

Where did you source the quotes from mate? I ask because it seems Mercedes are keeping very schtum about anything W03 related.
Sam Bird also(probably ordered from above) asked that people be patient and to stop pestering him over the car on twitter....
5 mins later he was thoroughly endorsed by the official Mercedes AMG twitter feed for toeing company line.

Im of the opinion they want more aero time. If they have an innovation, fair play. But dont hold out hope on it, nor have the team given any official indication what they are up to.
Looking at Today's caterham unveiling, and how they managed to get those sidepods looking Red Bull sexy,it seems even the small fry are capable of decent design.
Hence why Merc are taking their sweet time with the W03 IMO...getting the details right first time....
More could have been done.
David Purley