Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@ Pocketmoon

Where did you source the quotes from mate? I ask because it seems Mercedes are keeping very schtum about anything W03 related.
Sam Bird also(probably ordered from above) asked that people be patient and to stop pestering him over the car on twitter....
5 mins later he was thoroughly endorsed by the official Mercedes AMG twitter feed for toeing company line.
yeah that was me - Desperate fan with F1 withdrawal symptoms.. :lol:

xpensive
xpensive

xpensive wrote:Mercury for hydraulic fluid?

Mercury have a density of 13.5 (hydraulic oil about 0.88), which within a 2.5 meter long line from rear to front would create a pressure of 13.5 Bar under 4g deceleration. If this pressure would affect an 80 mm diameter hydraulic cylinder it would create 6800 N (680 kg) of force, probably enough to lift the suspension on each front wheel to raise the nose.

So if that's what it was all about, clever, no wonder they wanted to spend time on it, such a shame if it was banned?
Myself, I hope to see something like the above, at least I'm sure they were toying with it, perhaps banned now?
Anyway, an inactive member has done an outstanding job developing the concept, working both front and rear actually.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

As matters stand with the team, I wouldn't mind an unreliable car for the first few races due to missing the first test as long as they're fast.

Put it this way, if they retire 50% of the time up until Europe, but retire from 2nd or 3rd (I daren't go higher :? ) on merit - I would consider their strategy a success.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

pocketmoon

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@ Pocketmoon

Where did you source the quotes from mate?
#1 Me. I was on that tour :)
#2 F1 Racing Tech guy who was tweeting live from the presentation in January.

Maggot

Is this Mercedes’ secret Reactive Ride Height (RRH) stability system?

http://abulafiaf1.wordpress.com/2012/01 ... ty-system/

Found this...What do you guys think about it?

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Maggot wrote:Is this Mercedes’ secret Reactive Ride Height (RRH) stability system?

It seems so, yes.

scarlet
scarlet

Maggot wrote:Is this Mercedes’ secret Reactive Ride Height (RRH) stability system?

Interesting. If passed legal and it works, it could acheive a similar effect to what lotus were aiming to do and allow the cars to be run much closer to the ground. One potential issue at first glace - will the extra plumbing and fluids cause packaging and cog issues? And mercury as we all know is pretty heavy and toxic, hardly ideal to be used in large quantities in a racecar.

dren

That looks pretty good. I think it might be legal.
Honda!

Joie de vivre

I just hope their system is legal. I would be thrilled seeing Schumi once again on podium!

AbulafiaF1
AbulafiaF1

Hey guys - glad you like the article. Would really appreciate any feedback you may have.

yace

i think it's legal, but is it reliable?
ImageImageImage

AbulafiaF1
AbulafiaF1

yace wrote:i think it's legal, but is it reliable?
If Merc are indeed running such a system, let's hope it is!

;)

xpensive
xpensive

Mercury have a density of 13.5 (hydraulic oil about 0.88), which within a 2.5 meter long line from rear to front would create a pressure of 13.5 Bar under 4g deceleration. If this pressure would affect an 80 mm diameter hydraulic cylinder it would create 6800 N (680 kg) of force, probably enough to lift the suspension on each front wheel to raise the nose.

So that's what it was all about, clever, no wonder they wanted to spend time on it, such a shame if it was banned?
So you believe me now, esteemed F1T members, see I have kristal ballz...
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

aral
aral

xpensive wrote:

So if that's what it was all about, clever, no wonder they wanted to spend time on it, such a shame if it was banned?
Myself, I hope to see something like the above, at least I'm sure they were toying with it, perhaps banned now?
Anyway, an inactive member has done an outstanding job developing the concept, working both front and rear actually.
Bearing in mind that the Lotus ride height system has been banned, citing article 10.2.1 and 10.2.3, what is different to this system that is no different. If Merc put all their eggs in one basked with this idea, they will be in deep trouble.

PlatinumZealot

Very good.. Similar to what I thought was said by (forgot that members name).. Very clever abulafia.

The containers of the fluids imparts the acceleration. Their masses being different over a unit area of the container surfaces projected on planes perpendicular to the acceleration. The denser fluid will have more pressure along the distance of the car. This means it can move those two pistons at the front forcing the less dense fluid to the rear of the car. The two front pistons are linked to the front suspension and the same for the two rear pistons.. Niiice.

I can see even more scope with this.. the fluid lines can be damped. Flywheels can also be added (mounted on power ball screws).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028