[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Helmut Marko: "1.4 seconds behind Mercedes, that's insane"

Topman Helmut Marko, like Max Verstappen, is not happy with Red Bull's performance in Budapest, where Verstappen was seventh in qualifying. "We don't even have to dream about a victory or podium here."

Clear language as always from Marko, in front of the German branch of Sky Sports F1. According to Marko, on the night from Friday to Saturday, Red Bull "converted the entire car" to find a solution to Friday's problems. "Unfortunately, in aerodynamics, things that we don't understand still happened," he admits. "That made it impossible for our drivers to be competitive."

"A 1.4 second behind Mercedes on this track is actually insane," says Marko.
"We don't even have to dream about a victory or podium here."

"There is little time for the races at Silverstone, but we have to find a solution to what turns out to be a fundamental problem."
The Power of Dreams!

TNTHead

Disappointing with the high hopes at the start of the season. Even more because of the 'now we can fight Mercedes comments' by the team. A typical over promise, under deliver moment. Mercedes did a bulls eye with their car, engine wise and aero/handling wise.
Still looking for the complete picture of explanations. Probably Etusch is right with his observation that RB took a big gamble in developing the preseason car further without track validation, which they obviously need to get maximum potential of their car.

All is not lost, they have talented people and were not without reason for years in the top three. They need to show they can master this, although it may be too late for this season.

But what a bad season start this is, wow.

caesar1
caesar1

Wouter wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:37
Helmut Marko: "1.4 seconds behind Mercedes, that's insane"

Topman Helmut Marko, like Max Verstappen, is not happy with Red Bull's performance in Budapest, where Verstappen was seventh in qualifying. "We don't even have to dream about a victory or podium here."

Clear language as always from Marko, in front of the German branch of Sky Sports F1. According to Marko, on the night from Friday to Saturday, Red Bull "converted the entire car" to find a solution to Friday's problems. "Unfortunately, in aerodynamics, things that we don't understand still happened," he admits. "That made it impossible for our drivers to be competitive."

"A 1.4 second behind Mercedes on this track is actually insane," says Marko.
"We don't even have to dream about a victory or podium here."

"There is little time for the races at Silverstone, but we have to find a solution to what turns out to be a fundamental problem."
That sounds like he is saying there is a fundamental problem with the aero. If that's true and with the cars being mostly frozen for next year it would be very difficult to fix.

godlameroso

Looking at where Verstappen gained and lost vs last year it's clearly a mechanical issue. He was faster in sector 2 which puts more emphasis on downforce, whereas sectors 1 and 3 are about engine power, and mechanical tire usage. We can excuse being slightly slower in sector 1 due to having more downforce, and thus more drag, but you can't excuse the fact there is a mechanical grip issue having lost nearly two tenths there over last year. When the only corners in sector one are low speed corners, and in sector 3 there's only 3 corners and 2 are low speed and one medium speed. Not a lot of room for aero to work it's magic until the exit of the final corner.

If it is a mechanical tire usage issue, then engine settings, diff settings can somewhat improve the situation, I hope it's just something they can fix by changing the suspension geometry, otherwise I fear the flaw is terminal and requires a new chassis.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

I think they just screwed up with the new suspension designs... And that must require a new chasis. Or the suspension is a good and innovative solution, but hard to setup and understand... But my opinion is that the suspension is a failure right now...

godlameroso

Marti_EF3 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:06
I think they just screwed up with the new suspension designs... And that must require a new chasis. Or the suspension is a good and innovative solution, but hard to setup and understand... But my opinion is that the suspension is a failure right now...
The difference between using the tires properly and being out of the window is worth as much as 1.2 seconds per lap.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

godlameroso wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:07
Marti_EF3 wrote:
The difference between using the tires properly and being out of the window is worth as much as 1.2 seconds per lap.
But it will be critical design failure? Or only that it's hard to setup. That's the big question...

velizare
velizare

Marti_EF3 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:12
godlameroso wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:
But it will be critical design failure? Or only that it's hard to setup. That's the big question...
it could be literally anything...

fritticaldi

Alex Albon is in the worst performance wise segment since his short F1 career began. A few more opaque performances and you can be sure that Helmut Markko will push the eject button. It is widely known that Red Bull like to substitute their drivers in the course of a season. Reality is that Red Bull has not been able to find a driver of Max Verstappen's calibre.

tangodjango
tangodjango

godlameroso wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Probably as much as 1.5 seconds and given that Max is upto 0.5 seconds a lap faster than any other driver they should be back on Pole as soon as they figure out their issues.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Pany
Pany

Nope. This time the problem is the car performance and the fact is totally built for Verstappen needs, in order to maximise driver title fight

McMika98
McMika98

fritticaldi wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:44
Alex Albon is in the worst performance wise segment since his short F1 career began. A few more opaque performances and you can be sure that Helmut Markko will push the eject button. It is widely known that Red Bull like to substitute their drivers in the course of a season. Reality is that Red Bull has not been able to find a driver of Max Verstappen's calibre.
Max is a generational talent like Hamilton, who is one of the best all time. That means they don't come that often. Danny Ricc was blown away by Max so Alex has very little hope. Today the redbull was slower than Mclaren but Max drove quicker.
He outscored Max for stretches last year and he would have had few podiums and win if not for Hamilton. Pretty lame for a guy who has been in f1 for a year. I expect him to show better form in silverstone.

Big Tea

I still see it as reinforcing what I said earlier. They are starting the wrong side of the line. Instead of starting in a safe area of setup they have dived straight in at the deep end and don't know where the bottom is. They have started from day one this year as squeezing everything out of it, and if its not right keep going in the same direction.
It could not have been a worse year as there has been no gap between races for then to take a step or two back, establish a baseline they know is safe, then on one step at a time.
It will probably mean sacrificing one test session to find their feet as the drivers can not even tell them what the problem is, just the result of it

Edit, who could they bring in to drive a test session and knows Red Bull? Renault are not likely to allow Danny Ric, is Webbo still eligible to drive in a practice?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ispano6

fritticaldi wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:44
Did you see Max and Alex's identical Suzuka qualifying time last year? Alex has given Hamilton enough pressure to make him do uncharacteristic mistakes. Gasly nor Kvyat ever did. Ricciardo left on his own accord, no one showed him the door or kicked him out. Alex earned his way to F1 and made a name for himself through outstanding performances. He's also Thai and Asian, a perfect fit for Red Bull and great for representing Asian drivers.

Also, Red Bull have come out and said it's an aero issue yet people still insist it's something else mechanical or PU related. The balance issue is due to the new to RBR cape concept that they are behind on and late to implement, let alone understand it seems.
Last edited by ispano6 on 18 Jul 2020, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

IvailoStefanovBG

Its not driver issue. First they have to fix the car.