2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Seerix wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:36
Luscion wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:24
Mclaren summoned to the stewards

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXhSdysWwAA ... name=small
McLaren is fined €5,000 for team personnel being in pit lane during the race.
No big deal.
It’s ridiculous how the team members can’t climb the walls anymore to celebrate all because some photographers and some FIA personnel themselves entered the ‘live’ lane of the pit lane and started to block it off when Ocon needed to pit on the last lap.
It seems to me that the FIA are punishing the teams for their own incompetence :roll:
Just a fan's point of view

Marc.W

Emag wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:32
FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:01
Ben1980 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:25
https://x.com/FDataAnalysis/status/1835 ... z91kA&s=19

Is this new, or people just looking more?
That wing is relatively new IIRC. Brought in Spa this year.
Can't really confirm if the same behavior is visible at Spa because a McLaren never spent time defending there so we didn't see much of the rear wing in the live broadcast. Maybe someone with F1TV has access to the rear camera and can check?

I doubt it's blatantly illegal though. If it was on the edge, they would have at least talked with the FIA about it to clarify before putting resources into it. I don't think they're that stupid to put something that would make the car illegal and give the FIA ground for disqualification in the midst of a title fight.

At worst we may have the FIA intervene and disallow it in the future and they will be forced to not use it anymore.
I just went back and had a look, exactly the same thing happening on Oscars rear wing at Spa

GoranF1
GoranF1

Could Mclaren face 2007 like penalty whit all constructors points deleted for this cheating?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Emag
Emag

GoranF1 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:31
Could Mclaren face 2007 like penalty whit all constructors points deleted for this cheating?
What, no.

They didn’t even get banned for cheating in 2007, they got banned because they stole confidential data from a competitor.

Also, this is not cheating. We don’t know what the FIA stance is on it, but they have used this wing before and seem to have been okay with it.

emp
emp

GoranF1 wrote:
Where is the cheating? Just because someone is screaming on the social media something doesn't mean someone else is cheating. There are a lot of smart people who will figure this out at the FIA and at the other teams. For the first time in a decade, this team is leading in technical ideas and implementation. That's why they are in F1, to win. Regardless of the means, as 2007 proves. :D

bauc

Emag wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:33
GoranF1 wrote:
What, no.

They didn’t even get banned for cheating in 2007, they got banned because they stole confidential data from a competitor.

Also, this is not cheating. We don’t know what the FIA stance is on it, but they have used this wing before and seem to have been okay with it.
They did not steal, it was a sole act by Nigel Stepney who first tried to use for his personal gain within Mclaren, then went to Honda with the info, the only thing Mcalren are guilty of, is staying silent, they never used the data in any shape or form. In addition, this was done as personal vendeta from Max Mosley against Ron Dennis, this is well documented.

Furthermore, Mclaren is not cheating so stop trolling, it your life that much boring kid?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Emag
Emag

bauc wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:42
Emag wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
What, no.

They did not steal, it was a sole act by Nigel Stepney who first tried to use for his personal gain within Mclaren, then went to Honda with the info, the only thing Mcalren are guilty of, is staying silent, they never used the data in any shape or form. In addition, this was done as personal vendeta from Max Mosley against Ron Dennis, this is well documented.

Furthermore, Mclaren is not cheating so stop trolling, it your life that much boring kid?
Hard to believe the data was never used but nevermind, I am not going to go there. It’s in the past and irrelevant.

bauc

Emag wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:44
bauc wrote:
Emag wrote:

What, no.

Hard to believe the data was never used but nevermind, I am not going to go there. It’s in the past and irrelevant.
Like I said, it is well documented, Mclaren did prove in Paris that they did not use that data in any shape or form, as I recall it was a USB drive with charts and data about tire usage and temps.... at the end they were found guilty of possession of competitors technical data, but in fact they newer used did not helped them at the end, (again this was done as a sole act of one of Mclaren's employee, as Mclaren did not sent Stepney to spy in Ferrari, that was not the case nor they were aware of his actions) - do your research if you want, but yes that is history now.
Last edited by bauc on 15 Sep 2024, 20:51, edited 2 times in total.

Slahinki
Slahinki

What a race! Perfectly executed by the whole team, from Piastri wrestling the lead away from Leclerc, to Norris' recovery/damage limitation, the teamwork, the crushing of both ferrari and red bull in terms of WCC points. Without the ill-timed yellows in qualifying this is an easy 1-2.

McLAREN LEADS THE WCC! YEEEES! =D>

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

There is no chance that the car is deemed illegal. It just not that type of pushing the boundaries.

Maybe FIA clarifies and puts in another test but I don't think that will happen as they didn't do anything about front wings. Maybe after the season.

Btw this effect is probably only on these type of low drag rear wings. Other rear wings probably don't flex anything more.

CjC
CjC

bauc wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:48
Emag wrote:
bauc wrote:

Like I said, it is well documented, Mclaren did prove in Paris that they did not use that data in any shape or form, as I recall it was a USB drive with charts and data about tire usage and temps.... at the end they were found guilty of possession of competitors technical data, but in fact they newer used did not helped them at the end, (again this was done as a sole act of one of Mclaren's employee, as Mclaren did not sent Stepney to spy in Ferrari, that was not the case nor they were aware of his actions) - do your research if you want, but yes that is history now.
Like you say it was very much a Max Mosley vs Ron Dennis thing.
If I recall wasn’t McLaren initially cleared but because Mosley wanted to humiliate Ron there was another second hearing and that’s when the fine and expulsion was issued?

bauc

Darth-Piekus wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:54
GoranF1 wrote:
You mean the 2007 Spy Gate set up from the Ferrari International Assistance to gift a constructors to their favorite golden team?
Don't forget that in 2007 that very same year, Ferrari was found using movable floor and the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance) said it did not had any effect on the performance .... what a joke that was :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bauc

CjC wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:58
bauc wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:48
Emag wrote:

Like you say it was very much a Max Mosley vs Ron Dennis thing.
If I recall wasn’t McLaren initially cleared but because Mosley wanted to humiliate Ron there was another second hearing and that’s when the fine and expulsion was issued?
Correct, Mclaren proved that they were not aware of Stepney's actions and that they never used that data, never even touched it, but Max wanted blood from Ron Dennis, and he got his wish, Mclaren got a big fine, Ron left as a consequence of it as the sponsors & Mercedes with Haug in charge back then were those who took the biggest hit not the team itself.

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:53
There is no chance that the car is deemed illegal. It just not that type of pushing the boundaries.

Maybe FIA clarifies and puts in another test but I don't think that will happen as they didn't do anything about front wings. Maybe after the season.

Btw this effect is probably only on these type of low drag rear wings. Other rear wings probably don't flex anything more.
If you recall the wing McLaren took to Zandvoort was about ‘improving efficiency’ so that wing needs looking at too, wouldn’t be surprised if it flexed as well.

And just for record, I have no doubt all of the aero surfaces on the McLaren flex. They have found a technique and will no doubt be using it everywhere as high speed flex is so advantageous to lap time.

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

bauc wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:58
Darth-Piekus wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:54
GoranF1 wrote:
You mean the 2007 Spy Gate set up from the Ferrari International Assistance to gift a constructors to their favorite golden team?
Don't forget that in 2007 that very same year, Ferrari was found using movable floor and the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance) said it did not had any effect on the performance .... what a joke that was :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As it would be a joke if what McLaren does now indeed has effect on performance, and FIA doesn't do anything on it, well you know just because it would ruin the business opportunity to cash in on a tight championship.
Last edited by IntrinsicVoid on 15 Sep 2024, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.