2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Can't watch anymore. I hope by next week the problem is fixed. With other cars showing more out of their cars right now it's getting grim not knowing where the hell you stand. You got Mercedes/Ferrari/RedBull flying in front. Then both Alfa Romeo and AlphaTauri are setting very competitive times behind. Even Magnussen in the Haas showed a glimpse of competitiveness.

And to top it off, on the long runs we have seen Lando is over 1.2 seconds slower on average compared to Max. But is that really the gap when we have no idea how much everyone is pushing and how much the issue is affecting Lando?

Completely in the dark here. Could be anywhere from 3rd to 8th fastest.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 17:06
I would like to see at least where does this base car stand before the significant upgrade package for race 1.
Even if they would do a low fuel run… Whatever the time is from it, will be useless to know “where this base car stands”… This is testing, lap times don’t matter, nor can you use them to analyze the pecking order… For someone that claims to have been watching F1 for decades, I would have thought you understood this.

bauc

Emag wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 17:24
Can't watch anymore. I hope by next week the problem is fixed. With other cars showing more out of their cars right now it's getting grim not knowing where the hell you stand. You got Mercedes/Ferrari/RedBull flying in front. Then both Alfa Romeo and AlphaTauri are setting very competitive times behind. Even Magnussen in the Haas showed a glimpse of competitiveness.

And to top it off, on the long runs we have seen Lando is over 1.2 seconds slower on average compared to Max. But is that really the gap when we have no idea how much everyone is pushing and how much the issue is affecting Lando?

Stop weeping for gods sake, you must be a person that as soon as someting does not go to plan you hide your self and cry all day, you cant' watch? THEN DONT and STOP WEEPING!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lap times on C1’s before Red Flag:

the EDGE
the EDGE

Emag wrote:

And to top it off, on the long runs we have seen Lando is over 1.2 seconds slower on average compared to Max. But is that really the gap when we have no idea how :wink: much everyone is pushing :wink: and how much the issue is affecting Lando?

What did you expect… since when has being a McLaren fan been easy :wink: they call it TESTING for a reason, it just has a different meaning for us :lol:

bauc

the EDGE wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 17:29
Emag wrote:

And to top it off, on the long runs we have seen Lando is over 1.2 seconds slower on average compared to Max. But is that really the gap when we have no idea how :wink: much everyone is pushing :wink: and how much the issue is affecting Lando?

What did you expect… since when has being a McLaren fan been easy :wink: they call it TESTING for a reason, it just has a different meaning for us :lol:
Please do not feed this troll

diffuser

Emag wrote:

ROFL, you're a roller coaster. It's testing and not all races have heavy braking and heavy heat like Bahrain. Even the Bahrain race starts at sunset, no?

Emag
Emag

You can't really convey emotions through writing, and especially when writing with a language that is not your native one. You are missunderstanding. I am not weeping, I am just presenting the situation as it is. I have always been a realist, and I like to look only at the facts. I support this team, just like everyone here, but I am not going to pretend like everything is going nicely. And yeah, due to personal stuff going badly lately, I have been in a more of a "half-full cup" mood. Apologies if that has transposed here.

All I want to say is that from what we know right now, things are not looking as good as they did a couple of weeks ago. It's been a complete 180 and that's obviously disappointing. If you think this is fine, then you have probably set the bar much lower and are satisfied with less, but I have supported this team ever since I started following the sport and I have witnessed them going from one of the most "feared" and respected team in the paddock, to a disorganized mess that pushed it into positions its name never belonged.

All I say here, is within the context of the sport. I am following the same event as everyone here sharing the same passion for this sport and perhaps for the same team. Isn't that the point of this forum, to share a discussion about Formula 1? I admit, I have probably pushed the negativity a bit too far this weekend, but I wasn't exactly pleased with how things transpired. Something about the situation kind of "triggered" me, but I digress. I have probably focused too much on the bad stuff.

I apologize if that has annoyed most people here. From now on I will tone it down and keep what has apparently come across as whining to myself.
That was not the intention.

frosty125
frosty125

I Imagine the extreme longer run drop off is related to brake temperature build up and ever increasing lift and coast.

bauc

Emag wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 17:51
You can't really convey emotions through writing, and especially when writing with a language that is not your native one. You are missunderstanding. I am not weeping, I am just presenting the situation as it is. I have always been a realist, and I like to look only at the facts. I support this team, just like everyone here, but I am not going to pretend like everything is going nicely. And yeah, due to personal stuff going badly lately, I have been in a more of a "half-full cup" mood. Apologies if that has transposed here.

All I want to say is that from what we know right now, things are not looking as good as they did a couple of weeks ago. It's been a complete 180 and that's obviously disappointing. If you think this is fine, then you have probably set the bar much lower and are satisfied with less, but I have supported this team ever since I started following the sport and I have witnessed them going from one of the most "feared" and respected team in the paddock, to a disorganized mess that pushed it into positions its name never belonged.

All I say here, is within the context of the sport. I am following the same event as everyone here sharing the same passion for this sport and perhaps for the same team. Isn't that the point of this forum, to share a discussion about Formula 1? I admit, I have probably pushed the negativity a bit too far this weekend, but I wasn't exactly pleased with how things transpired. Something about the situation kind of "triggered" me, but I digress. I have probably focused too much on the bad stuff.

I apologize if that has annoyed most people here. From now on I will tone it down and keep what has apparently come across as whining to myself.
Nice reflection, now have faith in Mclaren, .... in Ron's words.... WE WILL WIN AGAIN

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 17:51

There was no need for any apologies… But I can appreciate a lot you posting this.

I don’t disagree that the scenario isn’t ideal and I don’t think that team thinks that it is (they have actually been very vocal on how it has negatively affected their testing plan)… I guess that criticism is warranted, but going from not having the test the team expected (or we fans expected) to more or less calling the team incompetent for struggling with an unexpected problem with a part “during testing” is what seems a little bit over the top.

Luckily testing is about to be over and the team has a week to get on top of the brake issues and push forward… BTW, as I write this, Lando just did a 1.33.2 on used C3’s… not too bad :)

ScottR267
ScottR267

Sky with Crofty, Brundle and Davidson thinking McLaren 4th best team which after a difficult second test I’m sure we would all take.

Let’s hope the brake issue is sorted for next weekend and that the upgrade for next weekend brings a good chunk of time too which can propel the team.
Last edited by ScottR267 on 12 Mar 2022, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

Im on a different opinion. I believe the car is very very close to Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari and I am confident the big upgrade will bring it even closer if not equal. I still believe we haven't shown our best form yet due to brake problems while I think that both Red Bull and Ferrari has shown their almost best form.

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:03
Im on a different opinion. I believe the car is very very close to Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari and I am confident the big upgrade will bring it even closer if not equal. I still believe we haven't shown our best form yet due to brake problems while I think that both Red Bull and Ferrari has shown their almost best form.
Thinking with your heart instead of your head, setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm totally free of all and any expectations, but remain confident.

MrGapes

Guys it wasn't a perfect test, but I'm proud of the team for pushing through, I'm sure it wasn't easy for the team back home to rapidly produce the parts, but it means the team got some good long runs in on the final day. There true form is yet to be shown, it's better this way no-one will see it coming! :)