2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Well done to the team and great drive by oscar and lando.
Singapore is probably the track of all the remaining ones that we have the biggest chance to get the biggest points on redbull and max.
Let's keep the pressure on and momentum going.
Last edited by Mcl_G10 on 15 Sep 2024, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

IntrinsicVoid wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:04
bauc wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:58
Darth-Piekus wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:54

You mean the 2007 Spy Gate set up from the Ferrari International Assistance to gift a constructors to their favorite golden team?
Don't forget that in 2007 that very same year, Ferrari was found using movable floor and the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance) said it did not had any effect on the performance .... what a joke that was :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As it would be a joke if what McLaren does now indeed has effect on performance, and FIA doesn't do anything on it, well you know just because it would ruin the business opportunity to cash in on a tight championship.
If it's effective and within the rules then that falls in line with pretty much what every other team in the sport is doing. That's the whole point of the sport. Come up with clever ideas within the rules that give you an edge over the competition.

If the FIA has no problem with it, then everyone else would have to invest resources to get the benefits the same way McLaren did.

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Emag wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:07
IntrinsicVoid wrote:
bauc wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:58

Don't forget that in 2007 that very same year, Ferrari was found using movable floor and the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance) said it did not had any effect on the performance .... what a joke that was :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As it would be a joke if what McLaren does now indeed has effect on performance, and FIA doesn't do anything on it, well you know just because it would ruin the business opportunity to cash in on a tight championship.
If it's effective and within the rules then that falls in line with pretty much what every other team in the sport is doing. That's the whole point of the sport. Come up with clever ideas within the rules that give you an edge over the competition.

If the FIA has no problem with it, then everyone else would have to invest resources to get the benefits the same way McLaren did.
Of course I meant if it's within the rules. My point was, if all of this comes as that, FIA can do anything to go over it just because it would not want to ruin the already tight championship. This PTSD, Karen conspiracy mumbo jumbo attitude that FIA always pleases Ferrari is annoying.

Emag
Emag

IntrinsicVoid wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:15
Emag wrote:
IntrinsicVoid wrote:

Of course I meant if it's within the rules. My point was, if all this situations comes as that, FIA can do anything to go over it just because it would not want to ruin the already tight championship. This PTSD, Karen conspiracy mumbo jumbo attitude that FIA always pleases Ferrari is annoying.
Well I would ignore some of those comments. The FIA does whatever benefits the FIA. Certain people who were involved with Ferrari in the past found themselves into positions of power in the organization and I guess that's where people get a little suspicious. But I personally don't believe there is significant (personal) bias influencing major rulings.

Coming back on topic, it's a little sad that McLaren is arguably being treated so much harsher by the community for doing what every other team tries to do. Win.

When Aston was doing the same last year with their wings everyone called it clever engineering, even though their solution turned out to be extreme and illegal.

When Ferrari came up with a new way to put an S-Duct into these cars, it was called clever engineering. Nobody said anything about it being against the "spirit of the rules".

At the moment, all we know is that this wing was run before and there wasn't any mention of it from official sources. Neither of the teams has complained about it (yet). Everything going on right now is speculation yet people seem to have had the trial and passed the judgement already.

I don't understand (in the case everything is okay with it), why you would be mad that a competitor came up with a clever way to find an advantage within the rules. You could be annoyed, understandably, but mad?

It makes no sense, even as a fan.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Mclaren wouldn't risk being disqualified for a negligible amount of performance from natural flex on a wing. I mean those videos that are doing the rounds look worse than it is because of the angle of the light.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Jdn1327 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:41
Mclaren wouldn't risk being disqualified for a negligible amount of performance from natural flex on a wing. I mean those videos that are doing the rounds look worse than it is because of the angle of the light.
You don't get disqualified if you wing flexes. Did that ever happen? All wings flex. The worst that could happen is that FIA institutes another test that makes it effectively banned in the future but I think this is being blown out of proportion by butthurt Ferrari (and Red Bull) fans.

I doubt anything will come out of it.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

What Norris did today exceeded damage limitations. He started 15th and beat his title rival. While sacrificing time to help his teammate.

One of the best races in Norris's career.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Jdn1327 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:41
Gapping your DRS flap isn't negligible. It fits within the spirit of cheating in F1 that everyone likes so much. And they got away with it this time. But I wouldn't call it negligible.

Slahinki
Slahinki

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:51
What Norris did today exceeded damage limitations. He started 15th and beat his title rival. While sacrificing time to help his teammate.

One of the best races in Norris's career.
It's a shame it didn't end in a greater points swing in Norris' favour, he had such a good race.

CrazyCarperF1
CrazyCarperF1

Emag wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:33
IntrinsicVoid wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:15
Emag wrote:

Of course I meant if it's within the rules. My point was, if all this situations comes as that, FIA can do anything to go over it just because it would not want to ruin the already tight championship. This PTSD, Karen conspiracy mumbo jumbo attitude that FIA always pleases Ferrari is annoying.
Well I would ignore some of those comments. The FIA does whatever benefits the FIA. Certain people who were involved with Ferrari in the past found themselves into positions of power in the organization and I guess that's where people get a little suspicious. But I personally don't believe there is significant (personal) bias influencing major rulings.

Coming back on topic, it's a little sad that McLaren is arguably being treated so much harsher by the community for doing what every other team tries to do. Win.

When Aston was doing the same last year with their wings everyone called it clever engineering, even though their solution turned out to be extreme and illegal.

When Ferrari came up with a new way to put an S-Duct into these cars, it was called clever engineering. Nobody said anything about it being against the "spirit of the rules".

At the moment, all we know is that this wing was run before and there wasn't any mention of it from official sources. Neither of the teams has complained about it (yet). Everything going on right now is speculation yet people seem to have had the trial and passed the judgement already.

I don't understand (in the case everything is okay with it), why you would be mad that a competitor came up with a clever way to find an advantage within the rules. You could be annoyed, understandably, but mad?

It makes no sense, even as a fan.
I would imagine every part of every car on the grid is pushing the grey areas of legality, that is where the time is gained and innovation made, this wing characteristic is easier for the layman to identify so being used as justification for why other teams are not winning.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Please take a breath before sending hyperbolic waffle into the forum.

FIA this and that.. No
Obvious trolling.. No

Keep it technical, factual and just lay off the conspiracy stuff

Thanks
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

BMMR61

Just to add to the good retrospectives here which are all factually and essentially true.....
The Mosley-Dennis feud was well prosecuted. Mosley was a somewhat.... strange..... person albeit with a keen intellect. His distorted ideas on many matters personal and sporting led him to increased delusions. It was obvious that McLaren's only 'crime' was failing to bow the knee to the emperor. There could be no benefit in trying to use Stepney's stolen data as the Ferrari and McLaren were conceptually so different and, at the same time, well advanced. Fernando's actions behind the scenes were less benign. All this TOPICAL because MCLAREN NOW LEADS THE WCC!!!!

Great work all round. This was expected to be a track that we could really struggle against Ferrari and that Red Bull would be competitive at. Tremendous work by Oscar to size up a situation and make his own decision on the fly - a sign of a champion. Lando's charge was impressive as well as sporting in light of his assistance to Oscar's win. It almost feels like a one-two.

mwillems

The attention the Mclaren receives doesn't bother me. It's typical that at the front you get a lot of scrutiny.

The front wing flex has been and gone and I expect the same of the rear wing flex. But even if there's a TD, I don't think it's a game changer. Largely it's something produced by news outlets to get fans excited. Not exactly clickbait, but close enough.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

People have short memories and its popular to bash on McLaren right now.

It’s funny when people use the “spirit of regulations” as if that’s something any of the teams is trying so hard to stay within.

S-duct, double-decker diffuser, blown diffuser, F-duct, mass damper system, the fuel flow limit bypass, das etc …

Surely, all of these were carefully crafted to be within the spirit of the rules. Nobody would want to break that. Come on …

It’s literally this year that Mercedes came up with a front wing that could bring back the y250 vortex (to a certain degree), something that was a specific target to get rid off for these regulations, but nobody cared enough because Mercedes scrapped the idea. It did not work.

And nobody cares in F1, as long as you’re not winning. To use this “spirit of the rules” as an argument to claim some sort of moral highground is so absurd.

As long as things are technically legal, then that’s the best kind of legal the teams would be looking for in the sport. No one is out there trying to “respect” the rules and their intention. They’re there to win.

Henri
Henri

Oscar wants to be the new alpha of this team.. he will have more wins than norris this season.. that drive was impressive. The mlc38 is a great car and should have 8 wins by now