McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

I emphatically disagree with the more is always better logic.
You certainly try not to waste too much time producing df you cannot make use of .
That´s the reason why teams are developing track specific aerokit
if there is no corrners around for your high negative lift at low speeds then you want to get rid of the drag ,simple as that.
If there is no high speed cornering you would want to have the wings and difusser disappear at higher speeds.
also in many corners the quick way around is NOT to build up maximum sideforce but trying to keep the car flat -eg try to spend less time at high gs.

stefan_
stefan_

Spain 2013 - Thursday (09.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

CBeck113
CBeck113

Pup wrote:Kinda-sorta.

The thing is that if you look at the car as a whole, any increased drag produced by a better diffuser can be countered by reducing the wing - net result being either more downforce or less drag or both, you pick. Of course, the two are somewhat dependent on one another. The diffuser works in large part because it exits into a low pressure area created by the car and wing, so you might say that it is dependent on drag.

Having said that, here is an interesting post from a few years back that shows how introducing a diffuser actually decreases the overall drag on the car. It wasn't discussed further, but its interesting, despite being somewhat beyond my understanding...

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 39#p164039

So, one might argue that the diffuser is not only drag free - it's drag negative. :wink:

Actually, understanding the drag of a car is easy, and goes completely in line with the function of the diffuser (I hope I get the wording correctly here):
The drag of a motor vehicle (or any moving object) is the difference in pressure in front and behind the vehicle. The larger the pressure difference, the higher the drag. Basically you are displacing a medium (air), which rushes back to fill the void created by the vehicle. The common name for this effect is suction - the car is also being sucked into the low pressure area it created.

The diffuser is a tool to increase pressure. Basically it takes the flow of the fluid and decreases its speed by increasing the area through which it flows, which increasing the pressure. It also controls the pressure increase at its exit (versus a radical increase at the end of a plate, which causes extreme turbulent flow). The effect is the same as in a fast flowing creek which widens into a river - it slows down. Important: the actual diffuser effect is generated through the angle of the diffuser between the road and the car, not across the width of the diffuser. The additional elements help keep the flow smooth, but do not actually add pressure. The increase in downforce comes from the flow being smooth at the end of the floor, allowing more flow to pass under the car.

So, to sum it up: the diffuser increases the pressure smoothly behind the car (drag down) and evacuates the air from under the car (downforce up). For cars the perfect aerodynamic tool, which is why they have been limited so much by the rules.

Hope that was clear.....
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

It looks as there are new brake disks on the mp4-28. :D Others pictures with the upgrades?

scarlet
scarlet

stefan_
stefan_

Don't know, we'll see when the whole thing is put together.

Spain 2013 - Thursday (09.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

wesley123
wesley123

scarlet wrote:
Blown wheel nut?
Seems like it
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Thunder

wesley123 wrote:
scarlet wrote:
Blown wheel nut?
Seems like it
No its just the Cap thats missing. We've had Pictures like this from other Cars before.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Pup
Pup

And from McLaren. Same as before...

Pup
Pup

Looks like they're keeping the higher/farther forward exhaust, so I guess we'll still see that hump in the bodywork...

...compared to the first two races...

It seems to me like the exhaust is further outboard than it has been. I can't find a good photo from China or Bahrain to compare though.

wesley123
wesley123

Thunders wrote:
No its just the Cap thats missing. We've had Pictures like this from other Cars before.
On the other hand there is an additional duct on the front brake duct compared to Bahrain.

Thunder

hmm you're right. Thats an extra Inlet Duct just like RedBull had it as they tested their Blown Axle.

Well spotted.
#aerogollum

Pup
Pup

The outside duct? I think it was there before, but just further back.

Thunder

Thats's from Bahrain:

#aerogollum

wesley123
wesley123

The axle itself seems the same, just the same hollow axle as they ran before. There however is a new duct and the lower winglet has been removed.

Could be just for adequate cooling, but Barcelona isnt heavier on the brakes than Bahrain is it?