2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

Mekies has something to say.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

2024 Spanish GP: Qualifying

Jody Egginton (Technical Director)

“It’s fair to say that despite the hard work by everyone and changes made overnight, combined with initial feedback on the updates highlighting that on a macro level they have broadly met expectations, we have not been able to extract enough from the car so far here in Barcelona. With the midfield battle being so close, it’s very easy to go to the back of the group if you are struggling, which is what we have unfortunately seen today. In terms of car balance, there has been some improvement. This alone has not been enough, so clearly, we have a lot of homework to do tonight, but also ahead of Austria, to extract more from the car and a large part of this work will be analysing in detail the aero data we have gathered here in Barcelona. On the flip side, both drivers have done a good job of supporting the engineering team with feedback on the numerous test items we have evaluated here and also extracting the maximum from the cars we have been able to provide them with, so we have plenty of data to work with to make the necessary steps forward.”

Daniel Ricciardo #3
Third Practice Session – Best lap: 1:14.161, pos. 16th, 17 laps
Qualifying – Best lap: (Q1) 1:13.075, pos. 18th

“It’s a tricky weekend. We have a lot of new parts on the car, and we still need to understand the best way to make them work. After yesterday, when we were still finding a bit of balance, we made pretty big changes overnight and today in qualifying the car felt much more together. We made progress in terms of feeling and balance, but unfortunately, we’re still in a tough spot in terms of the stopwatch. Being out of Q1 with both cars, especially using three sets of soft each, shows that at the moment, we don’t have the pace. There’s still more to find and we’ll keep chipping away. Tomorrow is going to come around quick, but we have a few races ahead of us with similar track characteristics, so we obviously need to figure out together the things we’re missing.”

Yuki Tsunoda #22
Third Practice Session – Best lap: 1:14.420, pos. 18th, 22 laps
Qualifying – Best lap: (Q1) 1:12.985, pos. 17th

“We’ve been struggling with pace this weekend and tried multiple things to try and improve, and in the end, I felt better in qualifying than in Free Practice. At least I’m happy with my lap and feel like I was able to maximise the current package. The last races have been going well and even if it’s a shame, I think it’s important that we’re facing this more difficult moment together as a team. It’s a good opportunity to learn from our struggles and grow as a team. The most important thing is to remain positive, and we certainly will.”
The Power of Dreams!

djos

Big Gun wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:30
Ricciardo seemed to make a mistake on his second run in Q1 after being ahead after the first runs, not that it matters they had no pace.
There was only 9/100ths between them on the Q1 final run, prior to that Daniel was ahead by around 3/10ths on most of his runs, so that seems plausible.

Still, the car has been slow all weekend. 😢
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Bill wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 16:46
i wonder if the team is trying to develop an upgrade that helps ric to fell more comfortable and have backfired
Driver inputs come in primarily for setup and overall aero balance. All the previous updates worked well and made both drivers faster, so trying to pin this on Daniel is just silly.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Wouter wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 22:41

“It’s fair to say that despite the hard work by everyone and changes made overnight, combined with initial feedback on the updates highlighting that on a macro level they have broadly met expectations, we have not been able to extract enough from the car so far here in Barcelona. With the midfield battle being so close, it’s very easy to go to the back of the group if you are struggling, which is what we have unfortunately seen today. In terms of car balance, there has been some improvement. This alone has not been enough, so clearly, we have a lot of homework to do tonight, but also ahead of Austria, to extract more from the car and a large part of this work will be analysing in detail the aero data we have gathered here in Barcelona. On the flip side, both drivers have done a good job of supporting the engineering team with feedback on the numerous test items we have evaluated here and also extracting the maximum from the cars we have been able to provide them with, so we have plenty of data to work with to make the necessary steps forward.”
Hmm, sounds like they just haven’t found the performance sweet spot for the car yet. I hope they figure it out soon.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 23:34
Bill wrote:
i wonder if the team is trying to develop an upgrade that helps ric to fell more comfortable and have backfired
Driver inputs come in primarily for setup and overall aero balance. All the previous updates worked well and made both drivers faster, so trying to pin this on Daniel is just silly.
Yeah its just negative bias to assert this is Dan's fault. The upgrades are working in essence but they are just not able to extract enough time from them *yet*. There is alot of upgrades and its not like this hasn't occured before including at other teams too where upgrades don't quite correlate out on track and need some more investigation and adjustments to get them working at an optimum level. It happens.

Before this weekend at Canada the car looked quick and was on a good upward trajectory so hopefully just a small bump in the road in regards to upgrades and car performance progression.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

djos wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 23:49
Wouter wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 22:41

Hmm, sounds like they just haven’t found the performance sweet spot for the car yet. I hope they figure it out soon.
I think there is a lack of tire understanding at play here. That's usually how a Q3 car becomes a Q1 car overnight.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Bill
Bill

runningmanz wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 03:52
djos wrote:
Bill wrote:
Yeah its just negative bias to assert this is Dan's fault. The upgrades are working in essence but they are just not able to extract enough time from them *yet*. There is alot of upgrades and its not like this hasn't occured before including at other teams too where upgrades don't quite correlate out on track and need some more investigation and adjustments to get them working at an optimum level. It happens.

Before this weekend at Canada the car looked quick and was on a good upward trajectory so hopefully just a small bump in the road in regards to upgrades and car performance progression.
No that not bias the team have explicit that they are going to make the car comfortable for ric,i was just posing a question .the went from fighting russell in miami to fighting backmarkers in barcelona.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Bill wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:56
runningmanz wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 03:52
djos wrote:

No that not bias the team have explicit that they are going to make the car comfortable for ric,i was just posing a question .the went from fighting russell in miami to fighting backmarkers in barcelona.
They have been saying that long before this weekend. Besides that Yuki said he wants the same things out of the car as Dan. Up until this race the car was quick and as Mekies said ahead of schedule where they thought they would be . Previously they thought they might be there by mid year. Hopefully these upgrades just needs some fine tuning as they mentioned essentially they were working but they just need to extract more speed out of them. One race is not a pattern..

Wouter

Drivers and Team’s quotes after the race [Spanish GP]

“With the qualifying positions we had, we knew that it would be difficult to score points and we needed to be ready to try something different if the race provided the opportunity, but unfortunately it did not. Daniel’s pace and degradation on the medium compound in his middle stint was reasonable and he was able to close on the group of cars ahead including Alonso, Stroll and Bottas. However, some blue flags immediately after his second stop cost him some time and he lost touch with this group for a while. Although his pace was comparable, we could not get back onto this pack. Yuki was not happy with the balance of his car and although the guys worked hard to try and improve this via tools and flap adjustments, it was still difficult. We need to have a good look over the car when it’s out of Parc fermé and see if we can find anything obvious. Looking at the bigger picture from this weekend, we have a lot of analysis to complete ahead of Austria next weekend in order to understand in more detail why we have underperformed here in Barcelona relative to our expectations and our general level of performance up to this point in the season. We’ll then apply this learning to our preparations for Austria.”

Laurent Mekies (Team Principal)

“We came here with high hopes for the upgrades that everyone back in the factory has worked so hard to design and produce as part of our aggressive development strategy. Unfortunately, right from the start of Free Practice we were lacking pace in every session. There is no point denying this was a poor weekend for us and although the gaps were very small, we’re not going to make excuses for the fact we just weren’t competitive. Given our starting positions, it would have required some unusual circumstances – rain, a safety car – but the race was pretty linear and while both drivers did their best, we leave Spain with nothing to show for our efforts.

“Looking at the positives, we did a lot of tests across both cars to acquire as much data as possible. Now, our whole group faces a stern test to try and make some progress in the very few days available until we are back on track at the Red Bull Ring. It’s a very long season, so there are bound to be some tough weekends. We just have to put this one behind us, we must not get downhearted but instead, look ahead and focus on fighting back immediately in a few days’ time in Austria.”

Daniel Ricciardo #3
Race – Pos. 15th

“It’s obviously disappointing finishing in P15, but I’m happy with my race and how we managed it as a team with the two stops. I think yesterday I just missed a touch in qualifying, but honestly, today I feel like I maximised it with a good race. We managed the tyres and pushed when we needed to, so unfortunately, I think we just didn’t have more to show this weekend. There’s certainly lots to learn from weekends like this. We take a few little positives and a few more things to work on because we seem to be missing something with the new package. It’s a quick turnaround, so we’ll work on it tonight, trying to understand more in preparation for Austria next week.”

Yuki Tsunoda #22
Race – Pos. 19th

“It was a tough race, in which I struggled. The handling of the car was definitely not easy, and I did not feel as comfortable as I normally do. Something wasn’t quite right, and we’ll analyse everything that happened to understand what did not work well and come back stronger in Austria.”
The Power of Dreams!

djos

Yuki had a great first few laps and first stint, but faded badly after that and was nowhere for the rest of the race - I think he might have used up his tires too much and that forced him to stop too early. It was game over after that - I assume the balance issues he mentioned would have made tire deg worse.

Daniel lost a position on the start, but raced really well to get to 15th - staying out as long as he did on the first set really paid off when he had 15 lap fresher tires than those around him for the rest of the race. And crucially he made them work for him, however, I was pretty surprised that the team put him on hard tires for the final stint, I'd have thought the medium tire was the better option. Especially considering Hamilton and others complained about it being slow before Daniel stopped for them.
"In downforce we trust"

Wouter

Who is VCARB's strategist?? #-o
This makes no sense! Very short on the soft > short on the yellow > very, very short on the hard > long on the red!
Maybe someone can explain this to me? Only Perez and Yuki did a three stopper.

The Power of Dreams!

djos

Wouter wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 20:06
Who is VCARB's strategist?? #-o
This makes no sense! Very short on the soft > short on the yellow > very, very short on the hard > long on the red!
Maybe someone can explain this to me? Only Perez and Yuki did a three stopper.

https://preview.redd.it/spanish-gp-race ... 3bab39c873
Yuki said he was unhappy with the car balance, so I’m guessing that hurt his ability to manage the tires, thus the stints were shorter.

The hard tires weren’t all that fast, so maybe he wanted to get off them ASAP. The team pretty much admitted that they turned Yuki's race into a test session.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Dan said no need to panic yet with the car but if they don't find answers they might revert back to the old spec for now. He also said Yuki and himself were happy with the balance in qualli. Dan also mentioned in the race he felt good in the car but it obviously just wasn't fast. Hopefully they figure it out for Austria.

“From a competitiveness [aspect], we weren’t there. It was a really, really strange weekend for us to have dropped off so much,” the Australian explained.

“Honestly I felt good in the race. I was happy with what I got out of it, but 15th is not something that we can be happy about.

“But, with the package we had this weekend, I honestly don’t think we could have done anything better.

“So I don’t want to say that makes everything okay, it doesn’t but we need to move on. I’ve got plenty of notes and feedback from the race today to give to the team tonight and, over the next 72 hours, there are lots of things to look at.

“I didn’t have a bad feeling in qualifying. In the debrief, Yuki and I both [felt] we did good laps – we felt like the balance wasn’t bad.

“I think we simply lacked the load and we probably don’t really get everything out of the new package. But, today, in the race, I definitely felt a few more limitations so these are the notes I give back to the team and see what we come back with.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniel-ri ... ossibility