2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

It works on the back straight, too much vibration on the main straight? The activation happens at 300 plus KPH, not strong enough to push through this much pressure on the wing?
Those are the possibilities.
Not fixed for today, this will be a bad race for Aston.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Sevach wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 11:28
It works on the back straight, too much vibration on the main straight? The activation happens at 300 plus KPH, not strong enough to push through this much pressure on the wing?
Well I wouldnt be that pessimistic... certainly it will be more difficult to climb up or defend, but if both cars finish with a decent amount of points it wont be a bad race given the circumstances. Bad race would be a double out of the points Australia à la Ferrari

Bisonas

Sevach wrote:
If one of the 2 possibility are the cause, i would prefer to be the "High Speed Pressure and load" one and not the vibrations.

Maybe, and it's a "big" maybe, if it is in did due to very high speed load and pressure on the wing on the main straight, i say maybe, being able to stay close enough trying to pass, or being inside a DRS train in the main Straight, being in a tow/slipstream reduces that load and reduces that pressure on the wing so it may be able to open.

If that's the case, it would be a good thing and won't affect them much in the race.

If it is Vibrations they may experiment by opening it, 1 or 2 seconds l8r than normal.
Last edited by Bisonas on 29 Apr 2023, 13:03, edited 2 times in total.

Sevach
Sevach

Bisonas wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:59
Sevach wrote:
If one of the 2 possibility are the cause, i would prefer to be the "High Speed Pressure and load" one and not the vibrations.

Maybe, and it's a "big" maybe, if it is in did due to very high speed load and pressure on the wing on the main straight, i say maybe, being able to stay close enough trying to pass, or being inside a DRS train in the main Straight, being in a tow/slipstream reduces that load and reduces that pressure on the wing so it may be able to open.

If that's the case, it would be a good thing and won't affect them much in the race.
This would be the best case scenario, it also means the "painful" part is already over, let's see.

search

KimiRai wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:26
Sevach wrote:
Well I wouldnt be that pessimistic... certainly it will be more difficult to climb up or defend, but if both cars finish with a decent amount of points it wont be a bad race given the circumstances. Bad race would be a double out of the points Australia à la Ferrari
will probably still be difficult to make up ground in the sprint, but yeah, the race should still offer some opportunities. Going for an endless first stint has always been a good strategy for them to make up ground in Baku - maybe just do it again.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Info on the DRS issue:

Bisonas

KimiRai wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 13:59
Info on the DRS issue:

Yea that's what i said earlier.
If that is the case it may doesn't affect them much in the race, as they would be able to open it in a DRS train, or when trying to pass someone.
Last edited by Bisonas on 29 Apr 2023, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Bisonas wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 14:35
KimiRai wrote:
Info on the DRS issue:

If that is the case it may don't affect them much in the race, as they would be able to open it in a DRS train, or when trying to pass someone.
Remember Verstappen in Barcelona last year? It's not guaranteed.
A lion must kill its prey.

Bisonas

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 14:40
Bisonas wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 14:35
KimiRai wrote:
Info on the DRS issue:

If that is the case it may don't affect them much in the race, as they would be able to open it in a DRS train, or when trying to pass someone.
Remember Verstappen in Barcelona last year? It's not guaranteed.
I know it's not guaranteed. I am sure they will try different things during the sprint while following someone. If the reduced wing pressure from a tow doesn't seem to open it they will probably try to experiment opening it 1 second l8r or something to try to find the sweet spot vibration wise. Or maybe taking a slightly different line in the straight to reduce vibrations. They will play with it i am sure trying to find a way to open it when it matters, especially if they are in DRS train, or trying to pass someone.

diffuser

Sevach wrote:
In Quali, yesterday, if flat out stopped working in Q3. Today it was working down the back straight.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:26
Sevach wrote:
They've got 2 laps to find clear air and use Sector 1 and 2 to hold them off. Alonso is purple coming out of that last corner before the long straight, he'll be pulling away until the DRS zone. Tire choice will be a biggie too, Aston seemed alot faster on Mediums (without the DRS) but I think everyone will go with Softs.....wear is low in Baku.

karana
karana

diffuser wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 14:48
Sevach wrote:
In Quali, yesterday, if flat out stopped working in Q3. Today it was working down the back straight.
Looking at telemetry, it definitely worked on the back straight yesterday as well as today. It also worked for Alonso on the main straight at the end of his fastest lap today.

Sevach
Sevach

Alonso is the fastest car entering the DRS zone, so at least this wing is low drag with DRS closed.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Very well done by Fernando and thanks to Lance for not being aggressive which meant Fernando could focus on the Williams on the start.
Also Id say there is good tyre deg for Aston. Drs seemed to work in traffic.
Last edited by KimiRai on 29 Apr 2023, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.

NAPI10
NAPI10

DRS worked just fine during Sprint. That's a good part.
Tire wear seems to be high. If it remains the same tomorrow, Alonso will get both Ferrari & Merc.