2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

We shall see in 3 hours if the team manages to find a more ideal set up cause I notice that Mclaren doesn't find the ideal set up immediately. Unless though we are very weak at Austin.

Emag
Emag

I don't believe in the championship at all to be honest. Car is nowhere near being comfortably fastest to allow Lando win every race going forward.

This, for me personally, is notoriously reminiscent of the 2017-2018 championship battles. I remember just hoping things would go well for Seb so he could close the gap to Lewis and potentially stop the domination streak. It's looking like what happened those years will happen this season as well.

Getting that WCC though would be a big achievement and that's not over yet.

Ben1980
Ben1980

The Mclaren rear wing changes could be more than people thought.

Darth-Piekus

I suppose you might be right. Maybe next year we will have the car winning comfortably to get both titles. After all 2025 was the target to get the title and we got it one year early. If the team continues to gain so much performance than the opponents in each upgrade then that might happen next year.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Don't think the WDC was ever really on. Tge Mclaren wasn't clearly the best and Red Bull never really went away fully.

But, it was fun to hope and enjoy it.

Darth-Piekus

Ben1980 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 20:47
Don't think the WDC was ever really on. Tge Mclaren wasn't clearly the best and Red Bull never really went away fully.

But, it was fun to hope and enjoy it.
You never know. It's still a few races to go where anything can happen.

propercare
propercare

On the other hand, Piastri had solid last laps with all the battles. Maybe some setup changes can help with tyre life for the race.

SilviuAgo

The start was excellent for Lando and first part of the race he was almost in the rythm of Max. By the end his front tires were done, so maybe the new FW and suspension setup is not calibrated as was targeted. For Oscar was a good race, to very good let's say, and maybe some setup choice can be done also on Lando's car to improve tyre wear.
I am happy with the race outcome, although I wished last lapt not to be :))
Let's bring the race quali on and hope the team will do the optimal changes.

Darth-Piekus

Ben1980 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 20:46
The Flexy Mini DRS wing was only gonna be used in Vegas. They didn't have that here.

chrisc90

Plenty of races left.

What would be more worrying is the tyre drop off. Lando said his front were dead at the end, change of fortune there after the upgrade.

The 'lost' points during the stronger days of Mclaren's car (if they are over) will hurt them come the end of the season in the WDC battle. Consistency and being clinical is key in fights like that. Not rookie errors.

chrisc90

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 20:52
Ben1980 wrote:
The Flexy Mini DRS wing was only gonna be used in Vegas. They didn't have that here.
I seen earlier reports all wings had to be changed.

Emag
Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
That has nothing to do with the issues they have here.

Car was bad from FP1. They started too stiff, maybe naively thinking the resurfacing got rid of most bumps. They were struggling so much at T1 early on, but Lando got around it with better driving as he got more experience with the car. Still, it's difficult to drive a car like this consistently fast and when he was under pressure the mistake came.

Tire wear was also just slightly better than Mercedes, but when you account for the fact that Lando did not have to do much attacking, it's probably on par with them, which is saying something.

Car was bad on the slow-speed stuff and Lando was losing half a second managing on the fast right-handers in S3.

The car is bad in multiple ways, but none of the things that are bad are related to them fixing their rear wing so it doesn't give slightly better straight line speed with the drs closed.

Watto
Watto

The old fine line of car updates.

Wonder if that has just thrown the balance out or if just a case of not enough time to find it with the updates and the sprint weekend. The first time in a while the McLarens had balance issues.

Could it be the front wing? Piastri did a purple lap just before Max took it at the end. Norris said his front tyres were dead.

Emag
Emag

Watto wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 20:53
The old fine line of car updates.

Wonder if that has just thrown the balance out or if just a case of not enough time to find it with the updates and the sprint weekend. The first time in a while the McLarens had balance issues.

Could it be the front wing? Piastri did a purple lap just before Max took it at the end. Norris said his front tyres were dead.
The upgrade looked "formidable" because it was a long list in the update sheet. In reality, it's just a bunch of detailing around the suspension fairings. Slightly different front wing flap configuration and some presumed changes on rear brake duct exits.

I wouldn't even call it an upgrade.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 20:52
Ben1980 wrote:
They've had to change all rear wings according to yesterday's reports.