McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Please keep on topic, this is meant to be about the actual features of the car. Team chatter has been moved to the team thread.

stefan_
stefan_

Spain 2013 - Friday (10.05.2013)

The new front wing being bolted on Perez's car

via Matt Somerfield

via formula1.com
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Sevach
Sevach

The new "shoulders" pretty much guide the air to go over the exhaust.

Would a FRIC suspension help Mclaren? Can they come up with one before halfway 2013?

Holm86

I Wonder if the 2012 Pirelli's will help the MP4-28?? I guess we'll see in Canada.

Jackles-UK

Is it just a trick-of-the-light or are we seeing an incredibly accurate exhaust burn mark on the floor just inside the rear wheel?

Also, anyone reckon the new RW endplate is perilously close to the Ferrari Venetian blind of a RW? Work in progress maybe?

astracrazy
astracrazy

Sevach wrote: Would a FRIC suspension help Mclaren? Can they come up with one before halfway 2013?
a lot of the teams with a fric system have been working on it (or that idea) for a few years now. Merc is on there 3rd/4th? Remember Lotus has that similar idea a few years ago (altho it was band) but have been on that bandwagon for a while now

Unless one is already in the pipeline, i'd doubt its something they'll have this season

stefan_
stefan_

Closer look at the RW endplate (click for larger version).

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Holm86

So does anybody think they will revert to the old floors?? Without the cutouts that compensates for the deformation of the 2013 tires?

I hope McLaren will see a performance boost with the "new" tires ...

turbof1

Probably they will not know that themselves until they hit track. Expect different solutions tested during FP1 in Canada.
#AeroFrodo

Richard
Richard

A page and a half discussing Pirelli tyres has been moved to the right place. http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

ringo

I think this car will have a bad time in Monaco.
Judging by it's behavior in the previous races in slow corners, it may be fighting in midfield.
Imagine how it will shudder going over the curbs.
For Sure!!

trinidefender
trinidefender

People are talking about bringing back the mp4-27 but they aren't factoring in on of the major problems with the mp4-28....the tyres. For all we know the mp4-27 may run horribly with the new tyres. As much as this years car annoys me Mclaren is still my team and always will be. Does anybody know of any after race reports from Spain as to why the updates didnt help?

On a side note Mclaren is set to paired up with Honda engines for 2015. Something I have wanted to hear for a while now! :D

Coefficient
Coefficient

trinidefender wrote:On a side note Mclaren is set to paired up with Honda engines for 2015. Something I have wanted to hear for a while now! :D
Probably the worst kept secret in F1 ever. It's been on the cards since they signed button and was mooted to Whitmarsh by a Journalist in the paddock when Merc announced they were buying Brawn at Yas Marina 2009. No smoke without fire as they say.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson's take on the new MP4-28 FW and other problems. The McLaren MP4-28 Bercelona updates consisted of the following-

New: FW / Engine Cover / Rear Suspension Uprights / Diffuser / Sidepods / RW

via AutoSport

aral
aral

Coefficient wrote:
trinidefender wrote:On a side note Mclaren is set to paired up with Honda engines for 2015. Something I have wanted to hear for a while now! :D
Probably the worst kept secret in F1 ever. It's been on the cards since they signed button and was mooted to Whitmarsh by a Journalist in the paddock when Merc announced they were buying Brawn at Yas Marina 2009. No smoke without fire as they say.
And you really think that even before the revised engine formula had been considered, that Honda were considering a return? Honda pulled out because they were losing money, purely an economic decision.