Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Red Bull RB20

cplchanb wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 20:24
RacePaceDemon wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 20:23
Hmmm so that's the w14 style aero removed. I somehow doubt this was their problem though.
why isnt it their problem? theyre the ones who put them on this car to begin with....
It wasn't a problem when they won the first 4 races. It's possible that the component lacked development potential with the rest of the car. However, it was posted above that this component will return at Spa (low/med downforce). I don't believe that...

It wouldn't make sense for Verstappen to say this package was important for the rest of the year, only to remove it for the next race and many more. They would be left with the package which was lacking in Silverstone.

organic

According to Obbs RB are going in the direction that a few on this forum had talked about for a while. Potentially bodywork specific for high/low downforce tracks, with Hungary suiting the high downforce bodywork.

And that the gulleys will return at Spa

Matt2725
Matt2725

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 19:51

According to Dr Obbs its a modular upgrade for high downforce tracks. In my mind this would mean that it is a fairly strong upgrade in performance to warrant a change like that
Also presents a lot of risk. That's a big spend for a few tracks that'll warrant it. I can only think of Zandvoort, Singapore and maybe Mexico off the top of my head that would need a high downforce config of the tracks left. Seems a big update for a (at this stage) niché requirement.

Worried Max may not be able to win in Zandvoort?

organic

Matt2725 wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 20:55
BlueCheetah66 wrote:

According to Dr Obbs its a modular upgrade for high downforce tracks. In my mind this would mean that it is a fairly strong upgrade in performance to warrant a change like that
Also presents a lot of risk. That's a big spend for a few tracks that'll warrant it. I can only think of Zandvoort, Singapore and maybe Mexico off the top of my head that would need a high downforce config of the tracks left. Seems a big update for a (at this stage) niché requirement.

It might not be so high downforce but rather that the old cannon style gullies are good on the efficiency dominated tracks IE spa, Monza, Vegas. I could imagine that tracks in the middle like Brazil and Abu Dhabi would use this new package. I doubt they'd spend so much development on upgrades that can only be used at a few tracks

Sergej
Sergej

It's not good news if this package will be used only in a few races while in the rest of the season we're back to see the (not so fast) Silverstone package.

You would imagine that a season changer upgrade (as Max described it) is not for a handful of races, but for all the season.

We will see.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 21:04

It might not be so high downforce but rather that the old cannon style gullies are good on the efficiency dominated tracks IE spa, Monza, Vegas. I could imagine that tracks in the middle like Brazil and Abu Dhabi would use this new package. I doubt they'd spend so much development on upgrades that can only be used at a few tracks
So the Silverstone car returns at Spa? :?
Last edited by AR3-GP on 18 Jul 2024, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

Paa

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 20:27
cplchanb wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 20:24
RacePaceDemon wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 20:23
Hmmm so that's the w14 style aero removed. I somehow doubt this was their problem though.
why isnt it their problem? theyre the ones who put them on this car to begin with....
It wasn't a problem when they won the first 4 races. It's possible that the component lacked development potential with the rest of the car. However, it was posted above that this component will return at Spa (low/med downforce). I don't believe that...

It wouldn't make sense for Verstappen to say this package was important for the rest of the year, only to remove it for the next race and many more. They would be left with the package which was lacking in Silverstone.
There could be potentially more upgrades, than the engine cover. I guess mechanical ones, doesn't even need to be reported?
It could be they are addressing the main issues with other changes, while the modular engine cover is just the cherry on top?

Matt2725
Matt2725

organic wrote:
Matt2725 wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 20:55
BlueCheetah66 wrote:

I did overlook Interlagos so good shout. Does look very RB18 this update as others have pointed out.
The long straights at Yas Marina would probably mean this bodywork is unlikely to be fielded I would think however.

Obviously they have their reasons, but seems a large spend for in my opinion is at best 5 circuits? Granted a bit more than 1/3 of the season left. We'll see.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 21:06
organic wrote:

Dr Obbs suggests only the engine cover will be track specific. There are new sidepods etc

Tommy.G
Tommy.G

Wow this quite a big change regarding cooling! It really reminds me of the 2010 RB6 cooling outlet…

Henk_v
Henk_v

Anyone notice the seeming lack of edge wing supports?

Also, a double set of louvres and a double cannon exit. That is a lot of exit for a car that might lack the halo inlets....

CjC
CjC

Henk_v wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 22:18
Anyone notice the seeming lack of edge wing supports?

Also, a double set of louvres and a double cannon exit. That is a lot of exit for a car that might lack the halo inlets....
Yea I did. Red bull have always been a step ahead of the competition with these.
Every other team is using Red Bulls old fixture, Red Bull have moved onto (for all of the season) where they have the mounts underneath the floor- probably actually aiding the aerodynamics rather than being a compromise like the other teams
Just a fan's point of view

Sergej
Sergej

anyway, this development in the middle of the season is fascinating, kudos to RB

fingers crossed it works as intended

Dr Obbs
Dr Obbs

organic wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 21:15
AR3-GP wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 21:06
organic wrote:

Dr Obbs suggests only the engine cover will be track specific. There are new sidepods etc
Probably something that got lost in all the craziness of the images. It’s just the shoulder gullies on the engine cover that would be track specific. The updates to the sidepods would be a part of the updated spec for all tracks.

I see this mostly for managing cockpit and halo losses. We know that as average speed increases the losses become more disruptive moving down the engine cover. So if adding this helps with rear wing and beam wing efficiency then that would be more than enough reason to make it track specific.

I did hear it’s a total pain to swap these from track to track.

RacePaceDemon

So from what I understand this engine cover bodywork change is focused mainly on increasing rear load at this high downforce track and the other package will return at others. Before I speak I'll mention I'm a complete layman. But from what I've seen, downforce is not their issue. They have plenty of floor downforce and rear instability or a weak front end have been fixed with either setup changes or front wing clicks. I thought their main problem is mechanical due to the super stiff suspension which is screwing with tyre wear and kerb riding abilities which lose them more time over a race distance.

I would presume this upgrade has a lot "under the hood" which won't be apparent to us but will be apparent to the drivers feeling and lap time.

It's just so odd though. Massive advantage at the start of the year gone. I guess it's a mix of red bull upgrades not being huge and other teams making bigger incremental gains. Or in mclarens case, one big gain.
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"