2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 08:34
Ben1980 wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 08:18
dialtone wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 04:37

This is not even close to true. Even the british press doesn’t agree with the ruling. What you meant is they agree with the penalty on Norris, not on the ruling which missed the penalty on Max.
Wasn't that all covered in the ruling. Lando would have got 10 seconds, and Max 5. But they balanced it out to 5 for Norris.

The penalty was correct though.
I think that the fact that Norris was fully ahead before the corner may make this more debatable. If Norris is ahead at the end of the straight, before braking, Verstappen could be viewed as an attacker that forces Norris off, if that is the case Norris did not gain the advantage.

I do think the right of review will be dismissed as nothing new will be brought forward and it is gray enough that they can easily dismiss it. But I am happy that the team is challenging.
CjC wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 08:32
Ben1980 wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 08:18

Wasn't that all covered in the ruling. Lando would have got 10 seconds, and Max 5. But they balanced it out to 5 for Norris.

The penalty was correct though.
That was my understanding too.
Only thing I can ascertain from an article is that they now have footage from Verstappens forward facing camera which wasn’t available during the race and they must feel they can see Verstappen out of control or something but that would show up in the data too?
I think McLaren are just wasting energy with this right it review.
You have to try. You don't lose anything by doing it. I am sure they are aware it is very unlikely to change the decision.

Spot On...

Jurgen von Diaz

Has Norris waved the white flag? I can't remember when was the last time a championship contender admitted that his rival is better than him in the middle of a championship fight. This kind of honesty is uncommon.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 12:03
The forward camera from Verstappen car may not have been available. That camera is the clearest that Lando was fully ahead before braking.

I still doubt it will change the outcome but I think putting pressure on the stewards and FIA makes sense.
It is crazy that the forward camera missing was what bailed Verstappen out in Brazil 21, and that they still haven’t addressed it. If that is a thing that can help make racing fair, it’s incomprehensible that they haven’t fixed it. You would think a high tech business like F1 should be able to cover that.

langedweil

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 08:28
dialtone wrote:
langedweil wrote: The whole world that doesn't wear a McL shirt agrees with the stewards ruling. Just take it on the chin, experience, adapt, move on.
This is not even close to true. Even the british press doesn’t agree with the ruling. What you meant is they agree with the penalty on Norris, not on the ruling which missed the penalty on Max.
It's interesting how always the guys that come here and claim everyone agrees with the ruling have their most active topic a Red Bull one. I wonder why?
It's not a claim, it literally was 98% of everyone .. even Kravitz. And the consequence comes through ruling, so let's not word-salad ..

But what I said is not pissing about the ruling, and they absolutely should have the right to appeal .. except it brings the wrong energy to the team, even if they might have a point. For instance, I always found the power of Stella his silence, and silently deliver way more than even expected.
It's way more powerful than to blend in with Horner and Toto.
And why I say that is that I genuinely hope McL can have a serious dab at de WDC. Engineering over TP drama queens ..
They deserve a title, if only for stamina reasons !
HuggaWugga !

Dazmacca5700
Dazmacca5700

langedweil wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 15:57
FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 08:28
dialtone wrote:

It's interesting how always the guys that come here and claim everyone agrees with the ruling have their most active topic a Red Bull one. I wonder why?
It's not a claim, it literally was 98% of everyone .. even Kravitz. And the consequence comes through ruling, so let's not word-salad ..

But what I said is not pissing about the ruling, and they absolutely should have the right to appeal .. except it brings the wrong energy to the team, even if they might have a point. For instance, I always found the power of Stella his silence, and silently deliver way more than even expected.
It's way more powerful than to blend in with Horner and Toto.
And why I say that is that I genuinely hope McL can have a serious dab at de WDC. Engineering over TP drama queens

There is consensus, 'grey areas', among armchairs, alleged experts, drivers and stewards and that it does need addressing, why not, minimal energy and raises possible change. There are no rules, only guidelines, and the only guidelines enshrined are from post 2021, and then a variation to the current set. Agreed, that any appeal in general in always rejected, as the FIA are not transparent and inconsistent. The current guidelines are too open to manipulation. For me its perhaps the interpretation and the changeable flow of who is the attacking and defending,
They deserve a title, if only for stamina reasons !

Ben1980
Ben1980

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 14:49
Has Norris waved the white flag? I can't remember when was the last time a championship contender admitted that his rival is better than him in the middle of a championship fight. This kind of honesty is uncommon.

Isn't that just saying he is better at a certain style of attack and defence, in part because he's done it more?

Seems to be quite obvious, pretty common when a younger driver goes up to someone more experienced at the sharp end.

mwillems

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

He said Max is better at a certain type of defense and attack, and in itself, it was almost a backhanded compliment, suggesting that it shouldn't be how they race.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

dialtone
dialtone

2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Yeah I don’t see it as giving up, I see it as a maturity point. The quote taken out of the context he was speaking in gives the wrong vibe, and for a bit I was puzzled, but reading it all he’s spot on and he shows reflection which is a key part of learning and growth.

Good for Lando.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

mwillems wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 17:17
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

He said Max is better at a certain type of defense and attack, and in itself, it was almost a backhanded compliment, suggesting that it shouldn't be how they race.
Pretty much saying "There's one set of rules for Max and another set of rules for everyone else". McLaren have nothing to lose from challenging the decision from the last race. I just want to see the stewards making consistent decisions that are applied properly no matter who the driver is.