2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Is the car fixed? On track?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

the EDGE
the EDGE

GoranF1 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 13:34
Is the car fixed? On track?
Yes... Ignore Sky who claim the car has not been on track since it stopped this morning in the pitlane, it was a 10 min stoppage and they have consistently been out since (touch wood)

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Sainz doing longer runs in the last hour or so. Not much to be said.

nirvaand
nirvaand

Consistently in the 1.22s on the C3 long runs, yesterday and today.

Darth-Piekus

We seem to be faster than some people expected.

Shader

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 14:05
I would really like McLaren to put a sock in the mouth all these F1 media "experts"...

Darth-Piekus

Shader wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 14:06
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I would really like McLaren to put a sock in the mouth all these F1 media "experts"...
Do you know what I would really like. I want Mclaren to surprise everyone and turn into a title contender straight from Melbourne. Who's to say it won't happen?

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 14:08
Shader wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 14:06
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Do you know what I would really like. I want Mclaren to surprise everyone and turn into a title contender straight from Melbourne. Who's to say it won't happen?
As much as I would love that to be true, lets be honest Merc and Ferrari as just bigger teams with more money to spend on aero + they have a pretty nice PU. (Not saying Renaults' is not good). But I hope for a podium this year!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I was wondering, would Renault, as the engine supplier set the parameters of the engine modes McLaren, as a customer can use during these tests? Or would they recommend to McLaren and leave the decision up to them how they run the engines?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 14:08
As much as I'd love it, let's not get carried away! We're lining ourselves up for some major trolling if it doesn't happen! :lol:

Pace is very encouraging this week though, both long and short runs. I reckon heading the midfield is a genuine possibility heading into the season, but it's going to be incredibly tightly packed in there.

Darth-Piekus

We shal see. I can't say anything before the first race. All I see is that the car is consistently fast and reliable than other seasons.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I do not understand why teams wouldn't turn up the engines during the tests. Especially in the afternoon. From my understanding, engines in testing is not counted toward maximum number of engines for the season, so what purpose would be to run engine in a reduced mode? Surely you want to push your package as hard as you can in testing, to find and resolve any gremlins you might have.

Ofcourse, doing so in the morning is probably a bad idea because if the engine fails in the morning, you lose 4-5 hours of running but running engines at maximum power in the afternoon, including qualifying modes seems like a reasonable idea for a manufacturer that wants to test the reliability of their engine. Mercedes may not need to do so, as they are confident in reliability of their engine, but Renault or Honda would be fools to run engines in reduced modes only for them to blow up in real races.

M840TR
M840TR

FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 14:29
I do not understand why teams wouldn't turn up the engines during the tests. Especially in the afternoon. From my understanding, engines in testing is not counted toward maximum number of engines for the season, so what purpose would be to run engine in a reduced mode? Surely you want to push your package as hard as you can in testing, to find and resolve any gremlins you might have.

Ofcourse, doing so in the morning is probably a bad idea because if the engine fails in the morning, you lose 4-5 hours of running but running engines at maximum power in the afternoon, including qualifying modes seems like a reasonable idea for a manufacturer that wants to test the reliability of their engine. Mercedes may not need to do so, as they are confident in reliability of their engine, but Renault or Honda would be fools to run engines in reduced modes only for them to blow up in real races.
There isn’t much to gain from real world engines tests as opposed to their simulation tools. It’s important, sure, but not more than aero correlation which has a higher probability of failure. Toro Rosso is the only team that’s suited for this job as they’re effectively RedBull’s test bench since last year now.

Sieper

Because they don't have enough spare engines just yet? Because they want to spare the manufacturers if their engine would be the first to go poof?

mclaren111

ALO_Power wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 11:53
Could this issue be related with the new-spec Renault?
Surely they won't use full power so early in a day... Late afternoon maybe...