Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
madly
madly

Re: Renault R31

And shots of old and new RW:

new RW

old RW

Richard
Richard

beelsebob wrote:In P1 we just got a really nice shot of the renault exhaust in the wet – it would appear that it does cause some evaporation on the track
Isn't it kicking up spray rather than evaporation?

edit to add:

I'm curious about seeing bursts for individual cylinders. Say 3,0000 rpm for a slow corner gives 50 revs per second. Given 4 cylinders per exhaust, that gives 200 cylinder firings per second. Say the car is running at 25 metres per second (55mph) then one cylinder fires every 125mm. The exhaust pulse won't be instantaneous, lets say a pulse is 50% of the interval, then we'd expect bursts of spray every 65mm. Would we be able to see that in the context of the car moving along the track and the associated tyre spray?
Last edited by Richard on 06 May 2011, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.

madly
madly

Renault claimed to have new front wing in Turkey, but these wings on the photos looks like the Australian - pre season one. Maybe in the rain they didn't risk to loose a new one? Any photos of FW from FP2?

FrukostScones

mith wrote:Thanks for the pictures. I had to go to my university at the morning and was able to see only the last half of an hour of the practice.
:D me the same....

I ve noticed that the Renault front wing is pretty high compared to Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren and of course RedBull. Was clearly to see on Tv and on the pictures here.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ajprice
ajprice

madly wrote:Image

Not a technical issue, but when the endplate is so broken up and complicated, what is the point of having a sponsor logo there? I don't think I've seen an angle yet where 'Total' is readable on those endplates :) .

Interesting that Petrov drove his car with the new wing and Heidfeld had the old wing. As Mr Experience in the team I'd have thought Heidfeld would run the new stuff to give feedback on it.

Edit: scratch that, the top pic on this page shows the new wing on Heidfelds car too.

tikavi
tikavi

richard_leeds wrote: I'm curious about seeing bursts for individual cylinders. Say 3,0000 rpm for a slow corner gives 50 revs per second. Given 4 cylinders per exhaust, that gives 200 cylinder firings per second.
It is four-stroke engine, so every cylinder is firing one time per two revs.

We aren't seeing every firing because of the exhaust construction, each pulses are overlaping, so we're seeing less, but stronger pulses.

beelsebob
beelsebob

tikavi wrote:
richard_leeds wrote: I'm curious about seeing bursts for individual cylinders. Say 3,0000 rpm for a slow corner gives 50 revs per second. Given 4 cylinders per exhaust, that gives 200 cylinder firings per second.
It is four-stroke engine, so every cylinder is firing one time per two revs.

We aren't seeing every firing because of the exhaust construction, each pulses are overlaping, so we're seeing less, but stronger pulses.
That still wouldn't explain that we see about 4 pulses per second – I'm going on the very low frequency of them revving the engine to blow the floor to explain the pulses you see coming out of the exhaust.

piast9
piast9

beelsebob wrote:That still wouldn't explain that we see about 4 pulses per second
I haven't seen the practice in TV but maybe it was due to the stroboscopic effect which can happen if short shutter times were used in the TV camera.

beelsebob
beelsebob

piast9 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:That still wouldn't explain that we see about 4 pulses per second
I haven't seen the practice in TV but maybe it was due to the stroboscopic effect which can happen if short shutter times were used in the TV camera.
Absolutely definately wasn't – you could see a series of puffs of vapour/spray behind the car – one for each time the exhaust vented, them staying in phase with the camera, rather than just forming a general mist would be pretty damn unlikely.

Mikey_s
Mikey_s

Whatever you're seeing is not cylinder pulses... if the engine is revving at e.g. 18000 rpm, then there are 9000 ignitions per minute = 150 ignitions per second = each cylinder firing 18.75 times per second...

Without knowing the firing pattern of the engine, in any case the firing rate is far above 4/s.
Mike

HampusA

The overrun on the engine was very nice to see on TV for sure, you could see the pulses of the exhaust pretty well thanks to the rain but it seemed to be very raw and "aggresive" and not really linear and fine tuned even though it probably is.
The truth will come out...

tikavi
tikavi

Mikey_s wrote:Whatever you're seeing is not cylinder pulses... if the engine is revving at e.g. 18000 rpm, then there are 9000 ignitions per minute = 150 ignitions per second = each cylinder firing 18.75 times per second...
:oops: Once agin, each pipe is connected with 4 cylinders, 4 cylinders in 4-stroke engine = 2 ignitions per rev, so not 150 but 300 ignitions per second at 9000rpm.

I saw on the graphic in tv that when drivers are cornering engine has about 10k rpm excluding very slow corners on first gear like turnaround in monako.

ps. sorry for my english, I'm fully understand it, but when it comes to write something... :D

Blackout

Last evolutions: Larger vetical nose attachements (like Ferrari) + new splitter (a more classic one: the side channels are gone)

marekk
marekk

HampusA wrote:The overrun on the engine was very nice to see on TV for sure, you could see the pulses of the exhaust pretty well thanks to the rain but it seemed to be very raw and "aggresive" and not really linear and fine tuned even though it probably is.
Durring overrun phase fuel ignites inside exhaust/manifold by contacting hot surfaces - but they are not that hot, so the process is not 100% reliable IMO. From time to time some unburnt fuel accumulates in the pipes and when finally gets ignited we see those puffs of smoke (sometimes even flames). No correlation to actual RPM.

bot6
bot6

Interesting to see that the tea tray stops before the barge boards. I don't think they took the side foils off, it's just the angle of the light on the carbon fiber that makes it seem so.

Thanks for the pics by the way Blackout!