2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McL-H
McL-H

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
28 Oct 2024, 02:27
McL-H wrote:
28 Oct 2024, 02:25
Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2024, 00:23
As I said by the way last week Max is a great talent but with racecraft like that he can't be anywhere near the greats.
Michael Schumacher
Ayrton Senna
Alain Prost

They drove with this same mentality against their championship rivals. I’d argue it’s the mentality that makes champions. I love Max for it and at the same time I hate him for it when it’s costing my dear team. I wished he drove for us.
I don't think either Senna or Prost have a legacy as being dirty racers apart from the one infamous mutual incident between them
Senna definitely had the reputation that you either avoided him or you both crashed and many drivers at the time were unhappy with his dangerous driving. Prost did not have such reputation. But when it mattered he too took both of them out in Japan 1989 to secure his championship. And Senna returned the favour the following year.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

FYI, this was posted in the Red Bull team thread:
On German Sky, Marko just confirmed that another engine penalty for Verstappen looks likely indeed. +5 only, though.

He said that Qatar may be a chance for a win, while Interlagos with its slow corner whould suit them less. So I'd assume he'll take it next week.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Peter Windsor reckons McLaren made another error that cost Norris the win. Why did they have their title contending driver giving up his seat in FP1 ? His lack of FP1 time most likely cost him in qualifying. The Mclaren was the fastest. If he qualified on pole, he wins. More points thrown away. Which is fine, if you learn from it for 2025.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Has Piastri been secretly laid off from McLaren? :lol: He is driving like a midfield driver for some races now. His performance has disappeared with that illegal rear wing.

Watto
Watto

Is nice seeing Lando getting more aggressive with Max. Somewhat used Max's own tricks against him in T4. Too fast into the corner around the outside so he was far enough along side but was never making the corner but by the rules Max had to leave him space he didn't and...

I think for sure he is learning a little more to be that way something he wouldn't have done earlier in the season I think never really wanting to force the issue. Well done I think.

BMMR61

As an unashamed Piastri fan I won't let this go. This was his worst race weekend in F1. Some of the thought processes and approaches to his sessions are just OFF! WTF the use of mediums in Q1??? Then when obviously under pressure he did it on his own - he only had to secure top 10-12 to move safely forward to Q2 and he drove it like he'd stolen it! If you watched the onboards his hands were working like a crazy man, he cooked the tyres in half a lap and then half beached it on the kerb.

Then for the race, the obvious was to start on the hards and go deep, it worked for Lawson last week and it would have given him the tyre durability to make his way through the 10-17 positions. No genius required to strategise that. On mediums he had to look after the tyres and by then the Haas drivers had scooted well up the road. The speed the car had to perform DRS overtakes should have made for a better recovery drive. His start was clearly poor and it took him about till lap 10 to clear Zhao! For last place! After witnessing his masterly win at Baku we all thought we were seeing the blossoming of a great career. This was BAAAAD! Real bad. Only good sign was his precise and decisive overtakes are still there. Big debrief coming between Andrea, Oscar and his race engineer. The team need him on the podium and what was regular now looks unlikely.

dialtone
dialtone

Macklaren wrote: Ummm. At monza LEC won with an insane strategy gamble after he was gifted the lead by the battling McLarens, COTA they were gifted the lead by Max, in Mexico, if Lando didn't have Max the Seagull dive-bombing him, he would have been on Carlos's rear wing within a couple laps. Monaco was somewhat dominant but you can't pass there anyway
If my granpa had wheels, he’d be a car. Probably still finishing ahead of Checo.

Sounds like you have no clue how races are won and lost. Hopefully mclaren listens to you.