2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonso Fan

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Redragon wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 19:35
Alonso Fan wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 19:20
Speaking of Toro Rosso, they did just 1 lap in the afternoon session. Definitely some kind of issue. Had this been mclaren Honda it would have been well publicised and all the doom and gloom stories all over the Web would be popping up at this moment...
Sorry but with quotes from Boullier yesterday saying "now we have a F1 car" is Mclaren who are shooting on their own foot
Corrected

I'm not defending what boullier said. He does talk rubbish sometimes. However my point stands
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 06 Mar 2018, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Mansell89
Mansell89

So guys, should we be REALLY worried about McLaren or is there still time to get the show on the road?

Any idea how major an issue today was?

Andres125sx

BrunoH wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:26
its obviouly the heat thats melting everything... cant be that the works team does not know how big in liters of ir is needed to cool, but mclaren knows they can with far less...
Sorry but I find this post pretty funny. So basically you´re acusing McLaren about being too wise (about the aerodinamic requirements for his car and PU), just a line after assuming you know it´s a cooling problem that melted everything, based on the information you get from the media?

BrunoH wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:26
its obviouly the heat thats melting everything
pretty ironical :lol: :lol: :lol:

aral
aral

Not again, and again, and again.....How many times do I have to remind contributors that the topic of this thread is McLaren Renault? Forget Honda, it is over and done with There is nothing to be gained by bringing Honda into every post, other than your post will be removed as being "off topic".

Alonso Fan

Racefans is the only website which I have visited who posted a good round up of the day.

Here is BBC 's round up of today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43303904

Not how they fail to mention that awesome day with 161 laps
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RonDennis
RonDennis

Mansell89 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 20:39
So guys, should we be REALLY worried about McLaren or is there still time to get the show on the road?

Any idea how major an issue today was?
It's probably not as bad as it looked today, we'll know more on Friday. There is plenty of time to fix things before Melbourne.

loner

ivanlesk wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:24
loner wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:21
starting to think Peter Prodromou was the problem not Honda hmmmm
Yep, he underpowered Honda engine, at least for 50bhp.
it seems you still can't understand what this current regulation formula is about its ok i was like you but i realized it HAHA
its THE AIR and sucking air and just more air you are not going anywhere with reducing your body work and cooling
a powerfull PU needs alot of air inside the compressor and a very good cooling.. heck you need a 7 races pu in 2018.
para bellum.

GoranF1
GoranF1

loner wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 21:30
ivanlesk wrote:
loner wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:21
starting to think Peter Prodromou was the problem not Honda hmmmm
it seems you still can't understand what this current regulation formula is about its ok i was like you but i realized it HAHA
its THE AIR and sucking air and just more air you are not going anywhere with reducing your body work and cooling
a powerfull PU needs alot of air inside the compressor and a very good cooling.. heck you need a 7 races pu in 2018.
https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... 6.high.jpg
Ioner knows what modern PU need but Peter Prodrumou doesn't.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

loner

GoranF1 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 21:46
loner wrote:
ivanlesk wrote:

we will know for sure this year if he is just shambles or not
para bellum.

GoranF1
GoranF1

loner wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 21:50
GoranF1 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 21:46
loner wrote:

we will know for sure this year if he is just shambles or not
It's true he has gone agressive, and there is already a report(in mcl33 thread) that there will be some changes to bodywork to adress cooling but he must of been advised by someone how far he can go whit it.....problems they are having ATM are not because of PP, they are due to late PU decidion and are called Integration problems.

Car looks very very good in turns 1-2-3 According to Pedro De La Rosa and a few others prof. racing drivers watching live last week. Better than all other midfield teams.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bauc

"We are here to test, and today is what sometimes happens in testing"

DAY ONE OVERVIEW
Date Tuesday 6 March 2018
Driver Stoffel Vandoorne
Location Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya (4.655km/2.892 miles)
Laps/km/miles 38/177km/110miles
Best laptime 1:21.946

PROGRAMME
An interrupted day to kick off the second week of pre-season testing in Barcelona.

The team suffered some niggling issues that meant running was relatively stop-start throughout the day. After an initial install lap as the track went green at 09:00am, Stoffel reported a loss of electrical power to the car and coasted back into the pits.

The same issue affected his next run, when after another three laps all electrical power to the car shut down, and Stoffel stopped out on track. The team investigated the issue and elected to swap the battery, after which Stoffel returned to the track just before lunch.

Despite a productive early-afternoon stint out on track, Stoffel’s run was cut short with a suspected hydraulic leak just before 16:00hrs. Due to the location of the leak, the investigation and fix were naturally time-consuming, and meant the day’s running concluded early.

Nevertheless, Stoffel completed 38 laps and still managed to gather a lot of useful data in preparation for tomorrow’s running.

STOFFEL VANDOORNE, McLaren Driver
“Today was challenging because of the issues we had which interrupted our running for today. We had a few stoppages on track, and we’ve been working through each one to make sure we’re fully prepared for tomorrow.

“The kinds of issue we’ve had weren’t particularly serious, but have taken a relatively long time to fix, so we weren’t able to run as much as we planned. The conditions this afternoon were quite tricky due to the wind, so the running we did wasn’t so representative.

“We’re hopeful the issues have been fixed and we can have a more productive day tomorrow.”

ERIC BOULLIER, Racing Director
“Today wasn’t the day we had hoped for on track, but, despite this, we aren’t overly concerned about the issues that we’ve faced today.

“It’s obviously not the productive day we had planned, but the problems – a battery issue and a hydraulic leak – are the types of niggles that we almost hope and expect to face during testing, in order to prepare us properly for the season ahead.

“We are here to test, and today is what sometimes happens in testing. It’s not ideal, and we would have liked more track time, but we’re working on it, we’re learning from it, and we’ll return to the track tomorrow armed with more information.”
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

galien
galien

More informations about the batteries issues.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... l-mclaren/

RonDennis
RonDennis

galien wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 22:14

Well it at least seems that none of the problems are being caused by the cooling, which is a good thing.

galien
galien

RonDennis wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 22:52
galien wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 22:14

Well it at least seems that none of the problems are being caused by the cooling, which is a good thing.
The validation method for batteries is quite interesting, Renault do it itself with a live stress test, then they select the best candidates. Theses methods from electronic industry are far way form classical methods used in mechanic area such as metrology / x ray inspection.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Battery issues down to bad batch according to Renault.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... ssues.html