2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Merc fastest in S1, third in S2 and second in S3

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Lets wait for quali and see what happens. So far, even listening to hamilton radio in fp3, they are much happier with the car at the moment. But we know that can change in a few hours time.

atanatizante

Rodak wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 01:26
I suggest they try to hoan in on the best performing set-up every weekend, step by step, not getting ahead of themselves. Then try to find the common denominator between the best performing set-ups and apply that knowledge to the simulator. The issue I have is these "experiments" seem more like stabs in the dark. It's trying to take three steps at once and more often than not (if not always) they end up back on square one.
It's 'hone in'! But seriously, changing more than one variable at a time means you have no way to understand how each variable affects the result and you are indeed taking stabs in the dark.

Things that can be tried during free practice are limited but add up to many possible changes. The team can quickly change ride height, camber and pressure (to Pirelli limits), toe, wings, shock (damper) settings, sway bars, suspension interactions, engine modes, etc, so there are an enormous number of combinations. This is where the step by step approach is required. Radical changes will tell you nothing. If we had unlimited testing these issue would probably be quickly solved; simulators are great, but they are not real life, especially with aero components when there are correlation issues.
That is what old school guys did in the past but nowadays they are using A.I. methods like Ferrari is doing now with their Reinforcement Learning A.I. software, which could handle multiple variables and parameters at once in real-time...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

denyall

atanatizante wrote:
Rodak wrote:
I suggest they try to hoan in on the best performing set-up every weekend, step by step, not getting ahead of themselves. Then try to find the common denominator between the best performing set-ups and apply that knowledge to the simulator. The issue I have is these "experiments" seem more like stabs in the dark. It's trying to take three steps at once and more often than not (if not always) they end up back on square one.
It's 'hone in'! But seriously, changing more than one variable at a time means you have no way to understand how each variable affects the result and you are indeed taking stabs in the dark.

Things that can be tried during free practice are limited but add up to many possible changes. The team can quickly change ride height, camber and pressure (to Pirelli limits), toe, wings, shock (damper) settings, sway bars, suspension interactions, engine modes, etc, so there are an enormous number of combinations. This is where the step by step approach is required. Radical changes will tell you nothing. If we had unlimited testing these issue would probably be quickly solved; simulators are great, but they are not real life, especially with aero components when there are correlation issues.
That is what old school guys did in the past but nowadays they are using A.I. methods like Ferrari is doing now with their Reinforcement Learning A.I. software, which could handle multiple variables and parameters at once in real-time...
AI and machine learning aren't magic. You still need to train them and give them good data for them to give good results.

Mercedes aren't dumb, they have their own predictive tools but the tools are only as good as Mercedes understanding of the car which currently is not great..

Rodak
Rodak

atanatizante wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 05:40
Rodak wrote:

I suggest you look at the three body problem.....

cplchanb
cplchanb

ham P11...their S3 time is shockingly terrible...wtf merc

j_ste
j_ste

Free practice glory runs are probably not the way to develop the car

dialtone
dialtone

j_ste wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 07:50
Free practice glory runs are probably not the way to develop the car
Are you sure? I think they should try even harder in FP, just do their qualifying in FP. (sarcasm here, I agree with you)

j_ste
j_ste

Ok. So it seems fairly set that the order is Red Bull to Ferrari to McLaren.

The Mercedes and Aston to duke it out for 4th and 5th in WCC?

Two stopper tomorrow?

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

That car is bonkers man. Lewis was faster in fp3 than he was in qualifying. George only about a tenth faster in quali. Wtf is going on?

Marble
Marble

Teams improved on average by 4 tenths between Fp3 and Q2 ... except Ham who lost time

organic

Hammerfist wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:12
That car is bonkers man. Lewis was faster in fp3 than he was in qualifying. George only about a tenth faster in quali. Wtf is going on?
Narrow performance window. Was an issue with the W13 and W14 too

Sevach
Sevach

Blah, blah, blah potential... this is a mid grid car.

CHT
CHT

organic wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:18
Hammerfist wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:12
Narrow performance window. Was an issue with the W13 and W14 too

Anything to do with last min adjustment to the car before quali?

Perhaps car was running too low?

Jurgen von Diaz

Amazing car!