Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
HampusA

Re: Renault R31

marekk wrote:
HampusA wrote:The overrun on the engine was very nice to see on TV for sure, you could see the pulses of the exhaust pretty well thanks to the rain but it seemed to be very raw and "aggresive" and not really linear and fine tuned even though it probably is.
Durring overrun phase fuel ignites inside exhaust/manifold by contacting hot surfaces - but they are not that hot, so the process is not 100% reliable IMO. From time to time some unburnt fuel accumulates in the pipes and when finally gets ignited we see those puffs of smoke (sometimes even flames). No correlation to actual RPM.
Ok never noticed any smoke but that could be because i only watched the exhaust in the rain where the spray would mask it.
Also saw a picture here after a pitstop where you could clearly see the exhaust gases hitting the ground leaving "marks" of fuel i presume.

I´m wondering if the setup they have is any more beneficial then let´s say a RBR setup? They both have the same engine but RBR get´s their gases through the rear wing/diffuser much quicker then Renault´s during lift off because of the shorter distance.
The truth will come out...

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

At 18,000 rpm constant exhaust flow is a non issue. The differences your seeing are due to puddles and/or attributed to an uneven surface.

marekk
marekk

HampusA wrote: I´m wondering if the setup they have is any more beneficial then let´s say a RBR setup? They both have the same engine but RBR get´s their gases through the rear wing/diffuser much quicker then Renault´s during lift off because of the shorter distance.
My rough approximation is +40kgf of downforce when stationary and at 18,000 RPM for RB7 by blowing outer parts of diff directly. I've used plain inverted wing for calculations, so could be wrong by big margin, but i'm quite sure there is some extra downforce off the line with this solution.

R31 blows about the same volume of exhaust through the area under the floor, inducing (jet pump) some flow of external air - no idea how strong this effect is, but due to longer path and bigger working surface could produce more downforce then RBR and Co.

Italiano
Italiano

Some Renault FEE awesomeness.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT2P2fhRFQA[/youtube]
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Carlo's
Carlo's

Renault will do straight line test with Bruno Senna behind the wheel. I'm getting impatient to see them having a lot better pace than it was in China and Turkey.

They have been trying their new rear wing in Turkey but they decided to stick with old wing, it was also tested in China... hope that thet will sort it out soon.

Neno
Neno

Carlo's wrote:Renault will do straight line test with Bruno Senna behind the wheel. I'm getting impatient to see them having a lot better pace than it was in China and Turkey.

They have been trying their new rear wing in Turkey but they decided to stick with old wing, it was also tested in China... hope that thet will sort it out soon.
http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/4952-Brun ... sting.html

When they aero testing become straight line testing or reverse :roll: i hope that aero testing will be more aero then just straight. r31 have great straight speed and i dont see reason for this other then see Bruno Senna behind the wheel.

GSakkF1
GSakkF1

SchumacherM wrote:Some Renault FEE awesomeness.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT2P2fhRFQA[/youtube]

Thank you for posting my video :) I took it at Fp1 on Istanbul park ! :)

THE MOST SWEET SOUND! <3

Italiano
Italiano

Thank you for filming it, helps others that don't have the chance to go to a GP to hear these beasts.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

GSakkF1
GSakkF1

SchumacherM wrote:Thank you for filming it, helps others that don't have the chance to go to a GP to hear these beasts.

No problem my friend. The special part of that video is to see how the r31 works in water ;)

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Did you guys notice that the flow stopped when the traction control came on .. could be a problem coming out of some corners ..

netoperek
netoperek

there is NO traction control. Its illegal :P

Neno
Neno

BreezyRacer wrote:Did you guys notice that the flow stopped when the traction control came on .. could be a problem coming out of some corners ..
TC is illegal. but has been known for years that Renault has very good traction in slow corners, maybe this is the case. only problem is that Renault is little struggling in aerodynamics, and i think R31 is great base in that area for devolopment in next several years.

HampusA

Thanks guys, interesting stuff.

Just watched the video, it seems that alot of the gases are blower much wider then i first thought. Could they have made the setup in order to blow air from the rearwheels? Not sure if anyone understands or if it even would work etc.

But it looks as they are blowing some of the exhaust gases at/around the rear wheels.
By blowing gases there could you "push" away the "real" air hitting the real wheels and in some sense lower the drag? They do have some sick top speeds so i don´t know :P
The truth will come out...

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

If Bobby Kubica was in the seat they would be consistently on the podium right now. I don't think Petrov got that much better... I just think he has a less competitive teamate to challenge him. Kubica was always signifcantly further up the order than petrov last year... I dont think this is a secret to renault though... Maybe.... (just a thought) they should've given Grossjean a shot at the seat this year... he seems to be doing very well on the pirelli tires in gp2. I like heidfeld but he's nothing but an average driver... A decent update and a driver with really good talent (Hamilton, Alonso, Kubica) and this thing will win a race.

piast9
piast9

HampusA wrote:Just watched the video, it seems that alot of the gases are blower much wider then i first thought.
You saw the flow direction when the vehicle was stationary. At speed that flow would be much closer to the car.