Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: Honda Power Unit

From your link ncassi:

"Fire whirls are more efficient than other forms of combustion because they produce drastically increased heating to the surface of fuels, allowing them to burn faster and more completely. In our experiments over water, we've seen how the circulation fire whirls generate also helps to pull in fuels. If we can achieve a state akin to the blue whirl at larger scale, we can further reduce airborne emissions for a much cleaner means of spill cleanup," explained Gollner.
Honda!

Snorked
Snorked

There's another feature on the past PUs that needs translating :)

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

regarding SPCCI ......

Honda made a (2 stroke) motorcycle that had CI at partial powers
controlled restriction of the exhaust port raising exhaust pressure ie 'internal EGR' making the charge hot enough to self-ignite

in F1 controlling the MGU-H load can raise the exhaust pressure

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Interesting... seems like McLaren didn't give them enough freedom indeed...

Toro Rosso – Honda appreciate freedom we gave them

godlameroso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 14:27
regarding SPCCI ......

Honda made a (2 stroke) motorcycle that had CI at partial powers
controlled restriction of the exhaust port raising exhaust pressure ie 'internal EGR' making the charge hot enough to self-ignite

in F1 controlling the MGU-H load can raise the exhaust pressure
By increasing back pressure? IE choking the exhaust at full boost/load?
Saishū kōnā

Maritimer
Maritimer

The swirl flame/ temp increase is how the Mazda HCCI engine works isn't it? Spark controlled compression ignition or whatever they're calling it.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

@ godl
we raise the exhaust pressure when we want to and not when we don't - that's clearly possible
remember raised exhaust pressure raises electrical recovery (disproportionately) by increasing turbine PR and efficiency

glenn's post relates to need at partial powers for high induction pressure for CI - ie 3 cylinder running is particularly important

partial powers is when it's difficult (though desirable) to get CI
managed exhaust pressure > managed underscavenge > managed charge temperature > help to managed CI

Singabule
Singabule

glenntws wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 07:06
Wazari wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 04:33
glenntws wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 11:56
Hey Guys,

after being a silent reader in this thread for a pretty long time, I decided to throw out my ideas and concepts about the new engine.

After starting by electric-technology study in last august, I have been busy all the time. Instead of having free time between the terms I work at a big automotive supplier in Neuss in Germany. Pretty cool but I also barely have any free time soo I even had to stop my own engine project because there's no time.

Well now to the Honda engine. First of all I think McLaren made a big mistake by leaving Honda. But let's put that aside.

Now, the sound of the new engine in idle is veeery interesting in my opinion because it actually gives out much information about what philosophy Honda uses for combustion (at least that's what I think). After analyzing the idle sound in Audacity for a bit, I came to the conclusion the the firing order has been changed, at least I'm somehow sure of that because the behaviour is very different, much smoother than before, the ignition pattern seems extremely even. I can't post a screenshot because masking all the parts would simply take to long (maybe I will do it later), but it seems to me that the engine is running on 3 cylinders in idle, keeping them firing for 4 turns and then shutting of the ignition for 4 turns. After a while, they seem to swap the active cylinders and do the exact same process (that's why there's a short pause in the sound).

This sounds very crazy but I actually think this is a extremely big hint to the combustion process. First, the swapping of the active cylinders is normal when doing cylinder shutoff because you want to keep the engine warm evenly so that really is no wonder in my opinion. What makes me going crazy is the actual shutoff of the complete engine for 4 turns, because it makes me think that the combustion process is highly dependent on the intake velocity and the overall air velocity in the cylinder.

Sounds weird first but it makes perfect sense. If Honda goes to low on the throttle, the velocity and pressure in the intake is lower than ok for the combustion process they use. That's why they play through 3 cylinders for 2 times with a relatively high amount of throttle (for idle) and then keep them turned of for 2 times to hold a steady rpm at idle.

Why would Honda need to do this?

Well a couple of pages ago I think roon made some interesing sketches promoting the usage of a swirl dependent combustion process. This idea hasn't left me alone. So here's comes my interpretation of a swirl dependent SPCCI-ICE.

- There is NO pre-chamber.
- One injector and one spark plug. The positions of both however is pretty variable in this concept so my arrangement is just for demo purposes.
- The air near the cylinder wall is the main ignition source. A big chunk of lean air in the center of the engine is the main power source.

https://i.imgur.com/NoKgyfi.jpg

Remember that this idea is not worked out very well, it's just a idea that in my opinion fits to the current things known about the engine and the fact that this year's combustion process is very different according to Wazari.

So think about it that way. The intake valves and ports are arranged and designed in a way that promotes a extremely huge amount of swirl on the outer boundaries of the chamber near the walls. The charge in the center of the cylinder of course also achieves a pretty big amount of swirl but the velocity is nowhere near to the velocity of the air at the outer boundaries. Now during intake and compression, the air inside the complete cylinder gets enriched with fuel but to a pretty lean level. This charge would barely ignite on it's own, especially not under high rpm's.

The trick is with a second injection phase very shortly before the ignition point. A very pointed spray of fuel gets' sprayed in the direction of the outside chamber. The amount off added fuel to the center is very low in comparison and with good pre calculations the AF-ratio can still be kept very low in the center. The little amount of fuel raises the charge at the walls above the neccessary AF-ratio for ignition. A spark plug near the wall now ignites this charge which in turn (because of the violent swirl) reaches the complete wall in a very short amount of time. The charge pressure in the center of the cylinder now get's extremely hot and dense because of the fire ring around it.

This extremely high pressure is more than enough to let the charge in the center of the cylinder ignite in a way very similar to HCCI.

With good design and calculation, the amount of richer fuel on the walls can be kept very low, allowing for a overall very lean charge in the cylinder.

Now, why is this so velocity dependent? The problem with this concept is the huge dependency on the swirl. If the velocity and density of charge in the cylinder is not high enough at the cylinder walls, the fire ring will not be established fast enough and many not wanted this could happen. The charge in the center could ignite in a pattern which is not going well with some parts of the head or piston (pressure-wise) or the charge may not even ignite at all because the pressure in the cylinder is simply to low to keep this combustion process alive. Running the engine under very low load would require a very rich charge near the wall and a at least stochiometric charge in the center and the whole efficiency thing is gone.

Also with a too high amount of fuel near the walls you promote the washing out of oil which of course is not good for the engine. A slightly rich fuel mixture near the cylinder wall however would not do so much damage and the huge amount of swirl would even promote the pick-up of oil particles at the wall which could help with the ignition of the outer charge (there's your possible source of oil consumption).

So, these were my ideas for the current engine. Not a very refined sketch from me and surely not thought out to the end but definetly "doable". And: I try to keep up with the conversation a bit more in the next time. I just love this forum and this thread! :)
Hi Glenn, good to hear from you and I am impressed. You must have spent quite a bit of time think about this. I bolded out a portion of your post which is very astute and critical to achieve the desired combustion characteristics utilizing extremely lean mixtures under load. Are you sure you are the age you say you are? 8)
Yes I am sir! :) I'm even writing a test in software development today :D
Glad to see u back glenntws, that is the most beautiful insight what may honda do with its rough engine. As Tanabe information related to mid season target, and with the firewhirl journal is also brand New (2016), do you think it is possible to create race engine after 2 years only? If honda done it correctly, how much your estimation for the PU output continuously with current PU regulation? Also how about the exhaust energy? Will it lower as Hasegawa always say?

glenntws
glenntws

Singabule wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 18:22
glenntws wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 07:06
Wazari wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 04:33

Hi Glenn, good to hear from you and I am impressed. You must have spent quite a bit of time think about this. I bolded out a portion of your post which is very astute and critical to achieve the desired combustion characteristics utilizing extremely lean mixtures under load. Are you sure you are the age you say you are? 8)
Yes I am sir! :) I'm even writing a test in software development today :D
Glad to see u back glenntws, that is the most beautiful insight what may honda do with its rough engine. As Tanabe information related to mid season target, and with the firewhirl journal is also brand New (2016), do you think it is possible to create race engine after 2 years only? If honda done it correctly, how much your estimation for the PU output continuously with current PU regulation? Also how about the exhaust energy? Will it lower as Hasegawa always say?
Actually I didn't knew about this journal it just came from my mind as a weird idea :D Creating a new Combustion concept with good manpower can be done in less than 2 months. But this heavily depends on how complex the new system is and how much it's comparable to other concepts. this concept is definetly not easy to be tamed and it's a big deal in terms of placement of injector and spark plug because even though this is definetly variable, it's hard to combine a small cylinder head with a strong swirl promoting chamber design.

But all in all it fits very well to the timespan Wazari talked about, so about end if 2016 since it' s been worked on and it appears they heavily worked on it since summer. So this timespan fits well.

What I do think is that IF they really use this concept of some kind of it (which Wazari hinted) there is a huge potential because this system really is a hard thing to be controlled and regarding chamber design there are always things you can improve.

Oh and another thing: My idea of last year which I posted here was 95% the same like the one Honda actually used in 2017 and that was extremely funny when I saw that :D And according to Wazari my new idea again seems to be on the right track so this is just hilarious :D

MrPotatoHead

Glen your sketch looks just like a Duramax diesel cylinder head. Others have tried similar layouts on petroleum engines as well.

The idea of using swirl and / or tumble on turbo charged engines to help with mixture control and burning is nothing new. Audi has done it for years. Ford and many others do it now on new turbo DI engines.

And the things you mentioned have no relation to the cylinder shutoff in my opinion.
They aren’t doing anything different with idle cylinder shutoff than they did back in the V8 days.

glenntws
glenntws

MrPotatoHead wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 20:53
Glen your sketch looks just like a Duramax diesel cylinder head. Others have tried similar layouts on petroleum engines as well.

The idea of using swirl and / or tumble on turbo charged engines to help with mixture control and burning is nothing new. Audi has done it for years. Ford and many others do it now on new turbo DI engines.

And the things you mentioned have no relation to the cylinder shutoff in my opinion.
They aren’t doing anything different with idle cylinder shutoff than they did back in the V8 days.
Well then, it's nothing new :) and if you don't see the correlation between cylinder shutoff and the combustion process it probably was just a weird idea by me :)

Oh and my name is Glenn, not Glen :D

MrPotatoHead

glenntws wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 21:53
MrPotatoHead wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 20:53

Well then, it's nothing new :) and if you don't see the correlation between cylinder shutoff and the combustion process it probably was just a weird idea by me :)

Oh and my name is Glenn, not Glen :D
All just my opinion of course. Please don’t take offense to anything.

And I realized after I posted that I got your name wrong my bad!

HPD

Craig: Through out testing the car has been reliable and reasonably fast, eventually completing the most mileage of any team! While rumours of the Honda engine being a detuned 2017 unit, there’s clearly evidence its not the same specification as used in Abu Dhabi at the end of last year.

In the pits the engine note is different, a distinct almost two-stroke style ‘brap’ to the throttle being blipped, then in corners on the overrun or part throttle, the cylinder cutting creating the mis-firing sound is gone. So, while perhaps the hardware may not be much changed, the way the engine is operated is certainly different.

https://drivetribe.com/p/f1-what-update ... u5DGEhnU2Q

blueytoo
blueytoo

I think the non-Japanese-speaking world misses out on a lots of interesting info on Honda F1.
Seeing the photos of the three engines shows there has been a lot of development, but perhaps too driven by shrinking the aero profile for McLarens's size zero than doing what Honda is good at - making powerful, efficient engines.

I'm still confused that Honda could be so far off the mark when there is corporate knowledge of F1 and the full track simulation dynos shown on videos on the Honda F1 site.

I still haven't been able to find anything written about how Gilles Simon directed engine development.

I read that there are lots (was it hundreds) of engineers working on Honda's F1 project. Sounds like the Honda way would bring lots of knowledge from ICE and hybrid development + free thinking engineers able to develop new concepts.

Add in a dose of Japanese obsession (NHK Supreme Skills TV program is really amazing). I can only surmise that Honda was hamstrung by its collaborators or by its own budget. Fingers crossed for Toro Rosso and reascendency of Red Bull with Honda.

GhostF1
GhostF1

blueytoo wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 00:23
I think the non-Japanese-speaking world misses out on a lots of interesting info on Honda F1.
Seeing the photos of the three engines shows there has been a lot of development, but perhaps too driven by shrinking the aero profile for McLarens's size zero than doing what Honda is good at - making powerful, efficient engines.

I'm still confused that Honda could be so far off the mark when there is corporate knowledge of F1 and the full track simulation dynos shown on videos on the Honda F1 site.

I still haven't been able to find anything written about how Gilles Simon directed engine development.

I read that there are lots (was it hundreds) of engineers working on Honda's F1 project. Sounds like the Honda way would bring lots of knowledge from ICE and hybrid development + free thinking engineers able to develop new concepts.

Add in a dose of Japanese obsession (NHK Supreme Skills TV program is really amazing). I can only surmise that Honda was hamstrung by its collaborators or by its own budget. Fingers crossed for Toro Rosso and reascendency of Red Bull with Honda.
Personally, I cannot wait until images of the RA618 are shown at the end of the year. That and more than likely the RA619 for next year will be manifestations of what Honda truly wanted to build, with as little compromise as possible.