2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
08 May 2023, 21:57
diffuser wrote:
08 May 2023, 21:50
AR3-GP wrote:
08 May 2023, 21:09
I find this kind of analysis to be shallow. They don't paint any particular picture. You have the Mclarens listed ahead of Alonso....I guess Aston Martin is in trouble...oh no wait Stroll is at the top :wink:

The only measurements of value are those conducted in isolation in qualifying laps. Race calculations are based on massive slipstreams and DRS for people who were at the back.
Think you missed the point. We'll, atleast my point...was just that Stroll push the "push to bypass button " to get there.
Sorry I wasn't referring to your post. It was the tweet...I have a long standing axe to grind with this twitter channel. It's a hybrid of actual information mixed in with shock value...It annoys me. :lol:
I've seen them goof a number of times, but this chart is good to just check some numbers and trends, not to be taken too seriously (as i'm sure people will).

peewon

organic wrote:
08 May 2023, 20:10
Monaco is their best chance if their tyre warmup is fine
I think Barcelona might be more likely than Monaco, specially if the weather is hot in Spain. They really struggle to get the tyre upto temp for quali on low deg tracks.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
I find this kind of analysis to be shallow. They don't paint any particular picture. You have the Mclarens listed ahead of Alonso....I guess Aston Martin is in trouble...oh no wait Stroll is at the top :wink:

The only measurements of value are those conducted in isolation in qualifying laps. Race calculations are based on massive slipstreams and DRS for people who were at the back.
Think you missed the point. We'll, atleast my point...was just that Stroll push the "push to bypass button " to get there.
Thats mainly battery deployment right? Is that enough to account for 18 km/hr diff to Alonso?

diffuser

peewon wrote:
09 May 2023, 02:05
diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Think you missed the point. Well, at-least my point...was just that Stroll push the "push to pass button " to get there.
Thats mainly battery deployment right? Is that enough to account for 18 km/hr diff to Alonso?
160 hp for more time. is it just that?...don't know. There was the DRS train...Maybe Stroll starting the race from further back, they took some wing off of Stroll's car? There was strong gusts of wind too.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
09 May 2023, 02:36
peewon wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Think you missed the point. Well, at-least my point...was just that Stroll push the "push to pass button " to get there.
160 hp for more time. is it just that?...don't know. There was the DRS train...Maybe Stroll starting the race from further back, they took some wing off of Stroll's car? There was strong gusts of wind too.
It's clearly him being in a slip stream (lead by multiple cars), with DRS, and his push to pass button. It creates the perfect scenario to hit this kind of top speed.
A lion must kill its prey.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
09 May 2023, 02:54
diffuser wrote:
peewon wrote:

It's clearly him being in a slip stream (lead by multiple cars), with DRS, and his push to pass button. It creates the perfect scenario to hit this kind of top speed.
Not convinced that's the only difference between Alo and Str's top speed was.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
09 May 2023, 04:48
AR3-GP wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Look at their cars. Same front wing. Same rear wing. You can't "take wing off". These wings are not adjustable aside from aero balance fine tuning on the front wing.
A lion must kill its prey.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
09 May 2023, 05:04
diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Look at their cars. Same front wing. Same rear wing. You can't "take wing off". These wings are not adjustable aside from aero balance fine tuning on the front wing.
The front wing is adjustable, it isn't as obvious on the rear but it can't be ridged. They're always talking about flap adustments in FP or before a tire change. Never listened close enough to notice if they were talking just about the front.

zoroastar

i dont think anything but front wing can be adjusted after parc fèrma. thats not normally the thing that people talk about when they are needing to gain top speed haha. was a pretty huge margin though

peewon

diffuser wrote:
peewon wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I don't think that's possible under parc ferme. A bit strange though if it's not just ERS deployment. Maybe deployment + slipstream.

-wkst-
-wkst-

diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Maybe they had slightly different set-ups, after lap 30, shortly after ALO passed both SAI and OCO, the "max speed" gap between ALO and STR was already 11 kph.

organic

Alonso raced with the high downforce beam wing configuration. Seems quite likely to me that lance was using the low downforce beam wing if there is such a discrepancy in top speeds. Worth noting also that double slipstreams can make a big difference to top speed vs single slipstream

I have a picture of Alonso running the high df bw but can't find an angle of stroll's car from the rear from the race

Juzh

organic wrote:
09 May 2023, 14:03
Alonso raced with the high downforce beam wing configuration. Seems quite likely to me that lance was using the low downforce beam wing if there is such a discrepancy in top speeds. Worth noting also that double slipstreams can make a big difference to top speed vs single slipstream

I have a picture of Alonso running the high df bw but can't find an angle of stroll's car from the rear from the race
Can you make out anything from tsunoda's onboard? he's very close to stroll, but still its very hard to see anything in that area.

I also checked alonso's onboard, he was constantly pressing mgu-k kill button (k0) whenever he'd got somewhat close in drs zone, because you really don't need to waste energy for those extra 10-15 kmh if the move isn't feasible. He knew he'd be unable to pull off a move so he just pressed it all the time at around 330 and saved energy for elsewhere in the lap, until he was certain a move was on. He did this even when overtaking sainz and gasly on all three drs straights. Vs Sainz he pulled out of slipstream at aroud 333 and immediately pressed K0. Stroll wasn't doing this (at least not nearly to same extent) even when instructed by his engineer, so he'd waste that energy more often than not, then running around with higher derates on other straights, further costing him time.

Another thing to consider ALO ran at much higher pace compared to STR, this naturally uses more energy over the lap.

vorticism

organic wrote:

In quali photos I looked through their beam wings looked identical. Unless they would change it for the race, I would think they ran the same hardware. I can post those quali pics if need be.
𓄀

organic

Juzh wrote:
10 May 2023, 00:51
organic wrote:

Can you make out anything from tsunoda's onboard? he's very close to stroll, but still its very hard to see anything in that area.

I also checked alonso's onboard, he was constantly pressing mgu-k kill button (k0) whenever he'd got somewhat close in drs zone, because you really don't need to waste energy for those extra 10-15 kmh if the move isn't feasible. He knew he'd be unable to pull off a move so he just pressed it all the time at around 330 and saved energy for elsewhere in the lap, until he was certain a move was on. He did this even when overtaking sainz and gasly on all three drs straights. Vs Sainz he pulled out of slipstream at aroud 333 and immediately pressed K0. Stroll wasn't doing this (at least not nearly to same extent) even when instructed by his engineer, so he'd waste that energy more often than not, then running around with higher derates on other straights, further costing him time.

Another thing to consider ALO ran at much higher pace compared to STR, this naturally uses more energy over the lap.
Thank you for that onboard - from that it looks like stroll was running the same bw configuration as alonso

And from conversations on this forum with vanja it sounds like beam wing differences don't change the overall drag level by a huge amount - certainly not enough alone to make the 20 km/h difference between the two drivers.

To me the difference in deployment strategy is a far more acceptable reason