2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

If Honda will decide for one seat they have to see at this season which driver will be Toro Rosso's choice for other seat. If they're planning to be good next season...

loner

Gasly for 2018 confirmed then, a rookie ..
well is Honda gonna have a say in the first driver choice hmmm
para bellum.

WaikeCU

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 11:08
Gasly to race this weekend instead of Kvyat

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13203 ... lace-kvyat
I think Kvyat still is a great driver, but I think he's the kind of driver that needs a team to back him up and a team where he feels he's fully comfortable. Just look at his records in the past at Toro Rosso and Red Bull compared to his last 2 seasons, something has put a permanent scar on his abilities and that is the moment he got relegated from Red Bull. Doubt he'll overcome this setback. This is another scar on his confidence and abilities. For sure F1 is a hard world, but I wouldn't associate the word ethical with the brand Red Bull. Red Bull just wants to seize every moment to gain further exposure (=$$$). Normally teams wait it out till next season and not rush things, but Red Bull seems to think otherwise.

I believe we have seen the last of Daniil, sadly. Not many seats available anymore. Sauber or Williams, unless he brings a lot of $$$ to a team, then maybe he'll have a drive for next season, but at the moment, it doesn't look good at all.

To think Palmer still has his seat and Kvyat hasn't... what a cruel world it truly is.

NathanOlder

Gasly has chosen number 10 to be his permanent number, Kobayashi no only doesn't have a seat in F1 anymore, he now doesn't have a number .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

R4BLR
R4BLR

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 13:57
Gasly has chosen number 10 to be his permanent number, Kobayashi no only doesn't have a seat in F1 anymore, he now doesn't have a number .
It's a shame for Kobayashi, I enjoyed his time in F1, but I can't see a return on the cards.

As for Gasly - I would of expected 61... 6as1y

Vasconia

WaikeCU wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 13:38
NathanOlder wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 11:08
Gasly to race this weekend instead of Kvyat

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13203 ... lace-kvyat
I think Kvyat still is a great driver, but I think he's the kind of driver that needs a team to back him up and a team where he feels he's fully comfortable. Just look at his records in the past at Toro Rosso and Red Bull compared to his last 2 seasons, something has put a permanent scar on his abilities and that is the moment he got relegated from Red Bull. Doubt he'll overcome this setback. This is another scar on his confidence and abilities. For sure F1 is a hard world, but I wouldn't associate the word ethical with the brand Red Bull. Red Bull just wants to seize every moment to gain further exposure (=$$$). Normally teams wait it out till next season and not rush things, but Red Bull seems to think otherwise.

I believe we have seen the last of Daniil, sadly. Not many seats available anymore. Sauber or Williams, unless he brings a lot of $$$ to a team, then maybe he'll have a drive for next season, but at the moment, it doesn't look good at all.

To think Palmer still has his seat and Kvyat hasn't... what a cruel world it truly is.
2017 has been a bad season for Kvyat. I was expecting to see him fighting back this season, because 2016 was too hard for him. I second the idea that he is a very good racer but I think he lacks some mental strenght. But at the same time, how can I say this? I can´t fully understand how humilliating for him was to be fired from RB and race again with TR.

Even Palmer admits that its pretty normal not to be renewed. Its must be the first time I see a driver admitting his poor performance. :mrgreen:

marmer
marmer

on an even worse note for danil. he is only 23 so can't jump in the Williams. the only other seats are at sabuer but they look like being filled by charles and marcus

ncassi22
ncassi22

loner wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 13:21
Probably yes. This is purely me speculating; but it seems they're giving Gasly enough time to understand the Renault powerunit so that when the Honda's fitted he can do a comparison. This allows them to unfortunately let Kvyat go for 2018. Also means that the second driver is not from the current grid. (PURELY SPECULATION)

loner

ncassi22 wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 16:29
loner wrote:
Probably yes. This is purely me speculating; but it seems they're giving Gasly enough time to understand the Renault powerunit so that when the Honda's fitted he can do a comparison. This allows them to unfortunately let Kvyat go for 2018. Also means that the second driver is not from the current grid. (PURELY SPECULATION)
Indy?
para bellum.

marmer
marmer

loner wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 16:39
ncassi22 wrote:
loner wrote:
Indy?
only driver worth the time in indy would be either sato or rossi
sato would only fit for the engine being a honda he is not a spring chicken anymore
rossi while was good for what the manor was isn't a young driver anymore really either

so no i would't expect them to get a driver from Indy

Sevach
Sevach

marmer wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 16:48

only driver worth the time in indy would be either sato or rossi
sato would only fit for the engine being a honda he is not a spring chicken anymore
rossi while was good for what the manor was isn't a young driver anymore really either

so no i would't expect them to get a driver from Indy
Newgarden is young and fast, he has no European experience which hurts, but he could make the jump.

marmer
marmer

It's on sky's website that gasley won't be at the US gp due to him fighting for the super formula title in Japan that weekend. Perhaps they could test someone else that weekend

ncassi22
ncassi22

loner wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 16:39
ncassi22 wrote:
loner wrote:
Indy?
I suspect they'd probably want a young Japanese driver. I don't know who's eligible ito. license ( maybe also language?? Media purposes etc.) Tomoki Nojiri has the pace, but this year he's been inconsistent in SF and SGT... same with Yamamoto (Where-as Gasly is 2nd in the championship). Or maybe they just stick with Kvyat. I'd want at least one of my drivers to be a known quantity.

loner

here is a thought
i still consider Wazari as a reliable source and he said spec 4 is a pleasant surprise
the current PU is regular Q3 recently so the spec 4 should go places...
if this is the matter i suspect Honda will push for a big name or decent at least from the current grid lure him with money as a plus.
para bellum.

HPD

I think Honda can push to get a veteran driver. Having two newbies I do not like the idea very much