2024 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
r85
r85

Re: 2024 car comparison thread

Credit to brakeboosted on Twitter: https://x.com/brakeboosted

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobi ... sp=sharing

It's a 2024 car picture collection (launch/car details/upgrades)

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 00:21
If the pics are right nice comparation.
I mean on SF24 previous vs Spa RW spec.

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/wp-c ... 0.jpg.webp
It's not an accurate comparison actually (wing span is not the same on these two photos), RB20 low-mid wing is not as big as last year but still bigger than Ferrari's low-load wing

I can't find good photos from the same angle for comparison yet, we should have them today

Well, AMuS to the rescue :mrgreen: RB has the deepest wing, Mercedes the most shallow. Ferrari and McLaren are almost identical. Mercedes used this wing with a big cutout in Jeddah, helping them with top speed, so I expect them to still be the slowest and also suffer in corners in Spa. On top speed (if beam wings are similar spec for every team and everyone uses new PU) should be Ferrari > RB > McLaren (by 1-2kmh between each at most)

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 08:37
FDD wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 00:21
If the pics are right nice comparation.
I mean on SF24 previous vs Spa RW spec.

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/wp-c ... 0.jpg.webp
It's not an accurate comparison actually (wing span is not the same on these two photos), RB20 low-mid wing is not as big as last year but still bigger than Ferrari's low-load wing

I can't find good photos from the same angle for comparison yet, we should have them today

Well, AMuS to the rescue :mrgreen: RB has the deepest wing, Mercedes the most shallow. Ferrari and McLaren are almost identical. Mercedes used this wing with a big cutout in Jeddah, helping them with top speed, so I expect them to still be the slowest and also suffer in corners in Spa. On top speed (if beam wings are similar spec for every team and everyone uses new PU) should be Ferrari > RB > McLaren (by 1-2kmh between each at most)

https://i.ibb.co/jgQDggQ/comp-spa-24.jpg
I mean only on Ferrari comparation RW low-mid vs medium DF.
BUT, you made beautiful, short, clear comparation for all of them in context of Spa GP, thank you.

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP

W15 vs. RB20

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Image doesn’t work for me.

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP

SirBastianVettel wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 17:54
sorry, I try to figure out how to post a picture here. tried three ways but none works..?

maygun
maygun

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 17:59
SirBastianVettel wrote:
sorry, I try to figure out how to post a picture here. tried three ways but none works..?

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP

maygun wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 18:27
SICK AL SPEEDSHOP wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 17:59
SirBastianVettel wrote:

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg
Thank you. How does it work? I tried it with the [img] button first, then the and then the [media] button but none w ... _HiRes.jpg

argh!! what happend now :wtf: #-o

Vanja #66

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 18:33
Just click img button around the image link (needs to have .jpg, .png, .webp or similar extension), media and other buttons will only mess up the img code :)

YouTube videos are shown just with a link and X posts need to have x.com replaced with twitter.com to be shown in their native form

#BlessYouLaddie

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 20:16
SICK AL SPEEDSHOP wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 18:33
Just click img button around the image link (needs to have .jpg, .png, .webp or similar extension), media and other buttons will only mess up the img code :)

YouTube videos are shown just with a link and X posts need to have x.com replaced with twitter.com to be shown in their native form
Thank you, I'll try it later or another day. I check update pics most time in car threads and am not much active but like to read some tech talk. however, this season is really a thriller. heard there are many oranje McLaren fans in netherlands. :wink:

cplchanb
cplchanb

anyone have a comparison of the various car front wing wobbles at spa?
seems like merc is flexing like the wing of a 787 while the ferrari is rigid as hell.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Good comparison at Spa going on here

viewtopic.php?t=31789&start=150

Wildly different in movement :shock:

Vanja #66

RB20, MCL38 and SF24 rear end comparison in Zandvoort (RB20 photo from Barcelona, same specification was used by Verstappen in Zandvoort). In terms of size this is how things stand:

- rear wing: RB20 and SF24 had near exact same frontal area, MCL38 was clearly smaller
- beam wing: SF24 was the biggest, RB20 and MCL38 almost the same and clearly smaller

Overall, SF24 had the biggest rear end frontal area, followed by RB20 and MCL38. All 3 cars had the same Top Speed figures in Q3, while Ferrari and McLaren had better Top Speed in the race without DRS and tow. The size of these rear elements and Top Speed figures have been telling on overall drag of the rest of the car since early 2022.

As things stand, Ferrari seems to have an edge over Red Bull and both, while McLaren is still slightly behind, but the gap is a lot smaller than last year. Comparing RB in Zandvoort is a bit problematic, since they used slightly draggier bodywork spec from Hungary, but with a lot smaller cooling outlet so its impossible to say if it really is as high drag as Hungary spec.

#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 12:21
RB20, MCL38 and SF24 rear end comparison in Zandvoort (RB20 photo from Barcelona, same specification was used by Verstappen in Zandvoort). In terms of size this is how things stand:

- rear wing: RB20 and SF24 had near exact same frontal area, MCL38 was clearly smaller
- beam wing: SF24 was the biggest, RB20 and MCL38 almost the same and clearly smaller

Overall, SF24 had the biggest rear end frontal area, followed by RB20 and MCL38. All 3 cars had the same Top Speed figures in Q3, while Ferrari and McLaren had better Top Speed in the race without DRS and tow. The size of these rear elements and Top Speed figures have been telling on overall drag of the rest of the car since early 2022.

As things stand, Ferrari seems to have an edge over Red Bull and both, while McLaren is still slightly behind, but the gap is a lot smaller than last year. Comparing RB in Zandvoort is a bit problematic, since they used slightly draggier bodywork spec from Hungary, but with a lot smaller cooling outlet so its impossible to say if it really is as high drag as Hungary spec.

https://i.ibb.co/t4gZ5xW/zvr-24-rb-mcl-fer.jpg
I think this is oversimplified. We can't go off of pictures alone. Ferrari was 12km/h down on Red Bull and 7km/h down on Mclaren in the high speed corners in qualifying. You should consider the downforce to drag ratio (efficiency), not just top speed.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 16:22
I think this is oversimplified. We can't go off of pictures alone. Ferrari was 12km/h down on Red Bull and 7km/h down on Mclaren in the high speed corners in qualifying. You should consider the downforce to drag ratio (efficiency), not just top speed.
Ehhh, think you got that the other way round...

Also, what's cornering got to do with chassis drag?

#BlessYouLaddie