Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

imightbewrong wrote:
amouzouris wrote: Lotus DDRS??

Are there any more photos of the rear wing?
Access to the hydraulic lines for the DRS, it is not new.
oh ok! makes sense!

Steven
Owner

RB7ate9 wrote:The strakes on the outside of the rear-wing endplates:

Under what rules are they allowed? (i.e. is there a free 50mm space on the outside?) What do the strakes contribute? It seems like they're too small in terms of aspect ratio for effective downforce generation.
The endplates are allowed to be 20mm thick. If they can make the endplates thinner, teams can put whatever they like in this 20mm. It is also how some teams manage to add some fins at the bottom of the endplates (like Williams and Ferrari)

Donuts

Lotus will introduce ( Abu Dhabi) new exhaust pipe that will allow them to regain one third of the lost power from the coanda exhaust design (they hope to eventually regain half of the lost power). Also, they say it (coanda exhaust) has nothing to do with losing top speed, that is just up to wingsettings.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

raymondu999

That's always been the eternal situation though - power in F1 makes very little difference, because the differences in power are relatively minimal
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

munudeges
munudeges

Donuts wrote:Also, they say it (coanda exhaust) has nothing to do with losing top speed, that is just up to wingsettings.
Allison has already said that with the exhaust arrangement they lose horsepower.

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

scarbs
scarbs

Testing the splitter deflection....

Donuts

munudeges wrote:
Donuts wrote:Also, they say it (coanda exhaust) has nothing to do with losing top speed, that is just up to wingsettings.
Allison has already said that with the exhaust arrangement they lose horsepower.
Read, read, read...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/10/30/l ... ine-speed/
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

Forza

ABD - Thursday

munudeges
munudeges

Donuts wrote:
munudeges wrote:
Read, read, read...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/10/30/l ... ine-speed/
I don't understand. I recommend you read what you're posting.

You clearly said above that they said that their new exhaust system has nothing to do with any straight line speed problems they've had. The article you're posting clearly contradicts that:
"We aim to introduce an exhaust pipe that keeps all of the Coanda downforce benefit, but sheds some of the horsepower penalty that we suffered with for our first iteration design,"
There is a horsepower penalty, ergo a straight line performance issue.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Lotus' Coanda presents the problem in therms of horsepower, not the straight line speed.They are less powerful in therms of horsepower everywhere, on straights, slightly curved straights, on approachings to the corners, on exits of the corners... Even with this system, they can still be the fastest car on speed traps also on straights (as Alison said - by reducing rear wing), but that would massively effect their overall performances.

CASE CLOSED!

It's quite bizarre this team was just couple of days ago trying to introduce F-Duct which would significantly improve their sop speeds in Q and even in the race.For now, they've failed with it.Now, they are facing completely opposite situation.I think that they need to introduce some kind of quick and simple upgrade such as Red Bull's DDRS to reduce drag at least in Q.When I say aquick update, I mean they don't have to spend too much of an additonal resources on that.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

madly
madly

MarkedOne8 wrote: ..
It's quite bizarre this team was just couple of days ago trying to introduce F-Duct which would significantly improve their sop speeds in Q and even in the race.For now, they've failed with it.Now, they are facing completely opposite situation.I think that they need to introduce some kind of quick and simple upgrade such as Red Bull's DDRS to reduce drag at least in Q.When I say aquick update, I mean they don't have to spend too much of an additonal resources on that.
That 'quick update' would be waste of their resources for the last 2 GPs. Look at WCC points. Lotus lost P3 and they are about 40 points after MCL and above 50 points after SF. Massa is back on form and regularly brings medium points, Grosjean is avoiding any risk so he brings small points (still it's better than to finish race after first lap). MCL and SF are little faster than E20 so... I think they accepted P4 in WCC.

I think it was right decision that Lotus abandon in year development of their passive F-duct. It was to tricky to setup that beast. Let's hope it wasn't lost direction and they will benefit from this development in 2013.

Coanda exhaust? IMHO they thought it would be banned in 2013 and started relatively late this development. They are still at the early stage of implementation.

munudeges
munudeges

If you have less horsepower then your straight line performance suffers. Pretty easy to understand. Horsepower is the biggest limiting factor on straight line speed with no effect on anything else. If you reduce your wing angles because of that horsepower loss then you're just losing elsewhere, so that's a bit nonsensical.

PlatinumZealot

Coolest front wing in a long while!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Madly, I think the Coanda exhaust will still be alowed in 2013.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/