McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL34

PhillipM
PhillipM

M840TR wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 08:41
Disappointed to not see the front suspension back though. Maybe for Germany?
Yeah, I thought they'd be running it, but playing with the floor revisions may have eaten into their testing time, if they're still playing with the floor now it might not even be ready for Germany unless that's all they're waiting on info from.

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 08:22
mwillems wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 23:16
I wonder if they are looking for the solution that allows them to successfully run the Merc/RB style front wing.
There’s no one solution that’ll allow them that. RedBull and Merc can run high df fw because they have a very strong rear end regardless. Plus it’ll require a redesign of the bargeboards etc as well so definitely not this year.
True, but I was hoping they would be able to find some aggressive methods of pushing the turbulent air away from the floor using aero behind the wheels, bit by bit.

Do you not think the Mclaren has a strong Rear end, I got the impression that had improved a lot through the year and was quite impressive. I'm guessing that it will improve more if the new suspension can be made to work, with a more effective underfloor, (Car more parallel to the ground through corners etc) something that I think may also be key to moving towards the RB/Merc front wing solution. But this is armchair guessing, would be happy to understand more about how that is right or wrong.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

M840TR
M840TR

mwillems wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 13:05
M840TR wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I wonder if they are looking for the solution that allows them to successfully run the Merc/RB style front wing.
There’s no one solution that’ll allow them that. RedBull and Merc can run high df fw because they have a very strong rear end regardless. Plus it’ll require a redesign of the bargeboards etc as well so definitely not this year.
True, but I was hoping they would be able to find some aggressive methods of pushing the turbulent air away from the floor using aero behind the wheels, bit by bit.

Do you not think the Mclaren has a strong Rear end, I got the impression that had improved a lot through the year and was quite impressive. I'm guessing that it will improve more if the new suspension can be made to work, with a more effective underfloor, (Car more parallel to the ground through corners etc) something that I think may also be key to moving towards the RB/Merc front wing solution. But this is armchair guessing, would be happy to understand more about how that is right or wrong.
Nothing too impressive; car was losing 0.5 sec in fast corners on Friday and another 0.5 sec in the slow ones. I think they'll try to fix the front-end from POU instead of changing the philosophy, which can be quite disruptive. It's sensible this way as well.

scarbs
scarbs

f1rules wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 09:18
im not sure, but before the frontpart of the bargeboard was attached to the tea tray some way in, picking up more air from under the car and leading it out, i think they have moved the attachment out to the edge of the tee tray like most others, and then as mentioned, made a more agressive curve to create stronger outwash to help control tyre wake. This is really a big change. Cold help seal the floor making it more effective and leading more clean flow to the rear
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8ZgIsIWkAATWEf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_VnGqpX4AA6GRg.png

EDIT

no definitly, attachmentpoint to tea tray has been moved to the tea tray edges
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_VxAX_X4AAvf5Z.png
Picture1 is the new Mac....
https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/1 ... 79136?s=19
f1rules wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 09:18

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 14:01
mwillems wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 13:05
M840TR wrote:

Nothing too impressive; car was losing 0.5 sec in fast corners on Friday and another 0.5 sec in the slow ones. I think they'll try to fix the front-end from POU instead of changing the philosophy, which can be quite disruptive. It's sensible this way as well.
Ahh on the Friday, I hadn't seen any of the timings yet, I was thinking of the year as a whole. Just switched on to the F1 properly today. Hopefully that is just symptomatic of Friday running. Only caught the back end of P3 today and it seems like there was some rain so I'm not 100% confident of where the car is for Qualy, but Q3 for sure. Lando looked good but it wasn't really even running for everyone so hard to tell.

But completing the POU modification might improve the whole of the car through corners, no? If the front end works better the whole car should work better, particularly the underfloor I would have thought as the car sits much nicer along the ground. The Red Bull is sparking everywhere it is so low to the ground, imagine unlocking some potential close to that.

I may be completely wrong, but I just feel that the front suspension, along with finding more mid to high speed front grip (Bigger front wing, more work behind the wheels to move the turbulent air away from the floor) are the keys to bringing this car to the front. Is this a fair assessment?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 20:31
Well, if you look at them they're trying to turn the flow out earlier and more aggressively - that might not be required with the serrations further back, so they may just have two options with similar simulator data and it's faster just to try it out and see what works on track.
Maybe it was never a plan for Silverstone. Not enough slow speed corners for it to make a big impression.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I think you're saying they running more DF in the FRont cause they have more in the back to balance it?

At the end of the day what they all try to do is increase the airflow to the diffuser while creating as airtight a seal around the floor that they can maintain in all corners.

I'm not sure the droopy front wing is a problem.

_cerber1

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:36
M840TR wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I think you're saying they running more DF in the FRont cause they have more in the back to balance it?

At the end of the day what they all try to do is increase the airflow to the diffuser while creating as airtight a seal around the floor that they can maintain in all corners.

It lacks the downforce of a conventional FW to increase outwash. Redbull has fw upwash AND a strong rear, so the best of both worlds, unlike Mclaren.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:01
M840TR wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 20:31
Well, if you look at them they're trying to turn the flow out earlier and more aggressively - that might not be required with the serrations further back, so they may just have two options with similar simulator data and it's faster just to try it out and see what works on track.
Maybe it was never a plan for Silverstone. Not enough slow speed corners for it to make a big impression.
They lost a lot of time in those corners.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 23:06
diffuser wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:36
M840TR wrote:

It lacks the downforce of a conventional FW to increase outwash. Redbull has fw upwash AND a strong rear, so the best of both worlds, unlike Mclaren.
Earlier in the year in f1technical aero analysts paper thingy, it said that the part of the wing in front of the tire didn't generate a lot of DF cause of turbulence caused by the tire behind it. That most of the DF is created by the inner part. So McLaren generate some DF from the droop as air slides out that way and the recyles that air to remove the wake from the tire.

That just what I understood from reading that f1technical artical/paper.

mclaren111

Nice angle of the flow directors...

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 23:07
diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:

Really? How much ?

I see 3 slow corners ...2 in S1 and 1 in S3.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 15:11
M840TR wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 23:07
diffuser wrote:

Really? How much ?

I see 3 slow corners ...2 in S1 and 1 in S3.

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 86x498.jpg