2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Stu

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

jjn9128 wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:29
Blackout wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 11:51
Blackout wrote:
13 May 2021, 21:46

I wonder how the hot air will be directed and vented after exiting the brake discs, knowing that it must exit from the inside face of the drum in 2022...
Well, today some cars seem to vent some of the rear brake air from the inside, but those drums are also quite obscure to me : P
After having looked at a number of pics, especially rear drums, I think I basically understand how the ducting will basically be in 2022.
A very basic drawing
https://i.imgur.com/rsGX06M.jpg
Yes and no. With 2021 there’s a lot of extraneous ducting to blow the axle as much as legally possible. So it’s not just about brake cooling. In 2022 the “air scoop” volume on the brake drum has to have an inlet - entirely visible from the front. And an outlet - entirely visible from the rear.
The picture further up the thread of the McLaren shows roughly how they will do it, there will be an inner structure (currently the cake tin….), but this will be much simplified as the larger wheel diameter and HAVING to vent to the inside edge of the wheel will prevent heated air being used to control tyre temps. This inner structure will have an outer cover to duct used air back towards the centre of the car. Brakes do not get bigger, but the whole assembly (with all of the extraction ducting) will make it all look bigger.

Does the outer drum have a maximum mandated diameter? And does the outlet vent from this also have regulations applied to it?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

jjn9128

Stu wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:00
The picture further up the thread of the McLaren shows roughly how they will do it, there will be an inner structure (currently the cake tin….), but this will be much simplified as the larger wheel diameter and HAVING to vent to the inside edge of the wheel will prevent heated air being used to control tyre temps. This inner structure will have an outer cover to duct used air back towards the centre of the car. Brakes do not get bigger, but the whole assembly (with all of the extraction ducting) will make it all look bigger.

Does the outer drum have a maximum mandated diameter? And does the outlet vent from this also have regulations applied to it?
Cant find that, but the mule cars are not allowed to have 2022 spec components on them. The brake discs were all the 2021 brakes (except Ferrari who ran with a different drill pattern but I believe the same OD). The 2022 discs are bigger diameter than 21.

AFAIK the drum like the wheel and wheel covers will be a spec part to ensure no holes for "cheating" the no throughflow.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Blackout

jjn9128 wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:29
Blackout wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 11:51
Blackout wrote:
13 May 2021, 21:46

I wonder how the hot air will be directed and vented after exiting the brake discs, knowing that it must exit from the inside face of the drum in 2022...
Well, today some cars seem to vent some of the rear brake air from the inside, but those drums are also quite obscure to me : P
After having looked at a number of pics, especially rear drums, I think I basically understand how the ducting will basically be in 2022.
A very basic drawing
https://i.imgur.com/rsGX06M.jpg
Yes and no. With 2021 there’s a lot of extraneous ducting to blow the axle as much as legally possible. So it’s not just about brake cooling. In 2022 the “air scoop” volume on the brake drum has to have an inlet - entirely visible from the front. And an outlet - entirely visible from the rear.
Of course. This pic illustrates it well https://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp- ... 96x525.jpg but I'm just focussing on the cooling air. : )
The wind tunnel 2022 model has rear outlets that are similar to some current inboard outlets.

I wonder if teams can relocate that outlet and put it in a lower pressure area, below the 'L' winglet for example

jjn9128

Blackout wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 08:45
Of course. This pic illustrates it well https://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp- ... 96x525.jpg but I'm just focussing on the cooling air. : )
The wind tunnel 2022 model has rear outlets that are similar to some current inboard outlets.
https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/fullsize ... es/005.jpg

I wonder if teams can relocate that outlet and put it in a lower pressure area, below the 'L' winglet for example
No it has to be in the "scoop" volume and fully visible from behind the car.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Blackout

jjn9128 wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 14:31
Blackout wrote:

Oh, the orange volume in your technical drawing viewtopic.php?p=989432#p989432
Thanks.

jjn9128

Blackout wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 15:46
jjn9128 wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 14:31
Blackout wrote:

Oh, the orange volume in your technical drawing viewtopic.php?p=989432#p989432
Thanks.
I'd call it red... but yes :lol:
#aerogandalf

godlameroso

The cars are going to have extreme pitch sensitivity so it will be interesting to see who designs their car around rock hard suspension that barely moves, and who tries to exploit the pitch sensitivity to potentially extract a bit more downforce. The way downforce is produced via rake angle under different conditions will be the black art to solve.

If your car is very good on corner entry, it could be not great on corner exit because the rear squats too much shifting the aero balance rearward creating understeer. However, if you don't let the car squat enough at the rear end, you have higher COG and the stiff suspension will reduce grip, however you'll still have the aero balance where you want it. Naturally a compromise will have to be made.
Saishū kōnā

Sevach
Sevach

godlameroso wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 04:44
The cars are going to have extreme pitch sensitivity so it will be interesting to see who designs their car around rock hard suspension that barely moves, and who tries to exploit the pitch sensitivity to potentially extract a bit more downforce. The way downforce is produced via rake angle under different conditions will be the black art to solve.

If your car is very good on corner entry, it could be not great on corner exit because the rear squats too much shifting the aero balance rearward creating understeer. However, if you don't let the car squat enough at the rear end, you have higher COG and the stiff suspension will reduce grip, however you'll still have the aero balance where you want it. Naturally a compromise will have to be made.
I think alongside the aero regs there's also rules trying to make everyone go with standard springs and dampers (no hydraulic systems) which also takes away a weapon teams would use to deal with this problem.

AMG.Tzan

I haven't seen any renders with the 2022 cars having high radiator inlets just like every single car since 2020!

Do you think teams won't need high radiator inlets anymore because of the changed aero rules??

btw I don't think high radiator inlets will look quite nice on the 2022 cars :P
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

godlameroso

Sevach wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 00:45
godlameroso wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 04:44

I think alongside the aero regs there's also rules trying to make everyone go with standard springs and dampers (no hydraulic systems) which also takes away a weapon teams would use to deal with this problem.
From what I can see, heave springs are allowed, so teams will still be able to adjust the platform at speed. It's going to be tricky, especially if you want to engineer a flatter car at low speeds and one that has its rake increase at speed.
Saishū kōnā

jjn9128

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 01:41
I haven't seen any renders with the 2022 cars having high radiator inlets just like every single car since 2020!

Do you think teams won't need high radiator inlets anymore because of the changed aero rules??

The way the high inlets work is by moving the side impact structure down. The X,Y,Z location of the side impact tubes are more tightly controlled in the 2022 rules than the current spec. It will be impossible.
#aerogandalf

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 09:37
AMG.Tzan wrote:

The way the high inlets work is by moving the side impact structure down. The X,Y,Z location of the side impact tubes are more tightly controlled in the 2022 rules than the current spec. It will be impossible.
To all intents they (the FIA) are at a point where it would be possible to have a spec tub/safety cell!!
Getting like the old ‘Dallara-spec’ F3….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mclaren111

Stu wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 14:18
jjn9128 wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:

To all intents they (the FIA) are at a point where it would be possible to have a spec tub/safety cell!!

Isn't the tub / safety cell a performance differentiator & therefore likely to stay with teams producing them ?

jjn9128

Stu wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 14:18
jjn9128 wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:

It is pretty much standard now which is kind of sad.
#aerogandalf

_cerber1

Started