2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SSJ4
SSJ4

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

I know it’s still very early in the season. But I felt it after Bahrain that the cars characteristics have flipped compared to last years

FNTC
FNTC

Sedaxel wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 13:50
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... mulations/

Everyone hiding but Alonso?

Fastest than most with the hard tyre?
Perplexing long run times. Red Bull must have been running full tanks or low engine modes or something. Alonso faster on hards than the others on mediums.

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

FNTC wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 14:45
Sedaxel wrote:

Perplexing long run times. Red Bull must have been running full tanks or low engine modes or something. Alonso faster on hards than the others on mediums.
Yeah. That's obviously not showing the truth.

However, that ALO long run seems to be much better than the ones in previous races. Of course, We can't be sure of that either... But hey, better that good looking stint than a bad looking one, no?

Waz
Waz

FNTC wrote:
Sedaxel wrote:

I've seen suggestions that the medium doesn't have any pace difference over the hard tire at Suzuka, just less durable.

Alonso's times are nicely consistent - please let this be the race they ditch trying to extend stints all the time and just let him off the leash.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Fantastic job by AM to get the upgrades early in the game & bring the performance to the car.
Car characteristics r completely changed.AMR23 was all struggle in high speed corners & AMR24 looks so strong there.
Alonso just got one practice session with upgrade package and he kept improving throughout the qualifying session.One more practice session with the upgrades ; he could have been P3.

Otromundo

Suzuka is my favorite circuit and the change of dates in the calendar seems excellent to me: both the strengths and weaknesses of the cars will be seen more clearly. In fact, for me it's almost as if the season is starting now.

As I feared, it is difficult to travel comfortably with the McL. And the RBs continue ahead in their world. Ferrari...it's not clear where they are, even their drivers think so. Similar to the MB in terms of the drivers, although it seems that they have more problems with the car.

The previous eight, under normal circumstances, would also occupy the top eight positions.

I still believe that first they want to have a car to qualify at the front, something perfectly logical. We will see how many overtaking on the track there are in Suzuka. I also continue to believe that their biggest objective is Monaco, where it is even more difficult to overtake on the track. Montmeló, Silverstone, Hungary... are similar: by starting at the front you avoid a lot of work.

FA's starting position for tomorrow seems excellent to me. Better than I expected.

I will pay close attention to the behavior of the car the first 10/12 laps and the difference with its performance at the end. And the tires, let's see.

If the idea is to create a good basis to qualify at the front, take advantage of starting at the front even if the car is a bit weak and recover the qualifying version at the end when it is unloaded... we are doing well, always talking about FA. His partner is a different case.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

-wkst-
-wkst-

NAPI10 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 17:30
One more practice session with the upgrades ; he could have been P3.
Don't think that they would gain 2 tenths with one more practice session. Michael Schmidt often says that teams tell him that the updates work, but need a 2nd or 3rd race weekend to optimize it.

I think the most important thing will be to have another upgrade package ready for Imola. They started the year a little bit behind, so they needed that extra update in Japan (out of the normal circle) to close the gap in the future. Simple as that, as everybody will make gains.

NAPI10
NAPI10

-wkst- wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 17:59
NAPI10 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 17:30
One more practice session with the upgrades ; he could have been P3.
Don't think that they would gain 2 tenths with one more practice session. Michael Schmidt often says that teams tell him that the updates work, but need a 2nd or 3rd race weekend to optimize it.

I think the most important thing will be to have another upgrade package ready for Imola. They started the year a little bit behind, so they needed that extra update in Japan (out of the normal circle) to close the gap in the future. Simple as that, as everybody will make gains.
One thing checked for the team; getting performance gain with 'Upgrade Package'.Which was not happening last year.
Optimizing this package will take few races; I am not expecting any upgrades for Imola.

NAPI10
NAPI10

nowaysthatsreal wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 08:21
Stroll is a joke
Lance just forgets to drive the car whenever AM introduced upgrades to the car. This is happening past 2 years.

diffuser

FNTC wrote:
Sedaxel wrote:

Alonso seemed to do long run on Mediums in FP1. I think we only have 2 sets of hards...so one is gone. They used of 1 set of mediums in FP1 and 1 set of softs. Leaving 1 new hards, 2 Mediums, 7 softs for qualifying. You tend to only use soft in quali and they only allow a car to carry forward 4 sets into qualifying. They give you an extra set if you make it into Q3. Alonso used 4 sets of softs in Quali. So Alonso has
1 set of new hards
2 sets of new mediums
And
1 set of new softs.

So I think Alonso will run a medium, hard, medium for the race. With a window for a glory run on soft if their is a huge gap to the teams behind or a late safety car.

Otromundo

diffuser wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 18:56
FNTC wrote:
Sedaxel wrote:

Alonso seemed to do long run on Mediums in FP1. I think we only have 2 sets of hards...so one is gone. They used of 1 set of mediums in FP1 and 1 set of softs. Leaving 1 new hards, 2 Mediums, 7 softs for qualifying. You tend to only use soft in quali and they only allow a car to carry forward 4 sets into qualifying. They give you an extra set if you make it into Q3. Alonso used 4 sets of softs in Quali. So Alonso has
1 set of new hards
2 sets of new mediums
And
1 set of new softs.

So I think Alonso will run a medium, hard, medium for the race. With a window for a glory run on soft if their is a huge gap to the teams behind or a late safety car.
That would be fine
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Zaamy
Zaamy

This implies they’ve only got 1 hard and 1 medium (plus the softs).

search

diffuser wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 18:56
Alonso seemed to do long run on Mediums in FP1. I think we only have 2 sets of hards...so one is gone. They used of 1 set of mediums in FP1 and 1 set of softs. Leaving 1 new hards, 2 Mediums, 7 softs for qualifying.
2 sets need to be returned after every practice session, no matter if they are used or not. So in Alonso's case, after starting the weekend with 2H-3M-8S, it went as follows:

after FP1: 2H-2M-7S
after FP2: 2H-1M-6S
after FP3: 1H-1M-5S
after QUA: 1H-1M-4*S (*3 used, 1 new)

so indeed, in total only two sets hard/medium are left, and Aston is the only team which went for this approach.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Zaamy wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 19:42
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKfgvguXMA ... ame=medium

I don't get AM strategy of opting for '1 HARD' & '1 Medium' for race. They have to bolt on a 'Soft' at some point in the race.

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

NAPI10 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 21:13
Zaamy wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 19:42
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKfgvguXMA ... ame=medium

I don't get AM strategy of opting for '1 HARD' & '1 Medium' for race. They have to bolt on a 'Soft' at some point in the race.
Well, there are people who think that starting with softs (new, as Alonso has) is a good option in this circuit. Apparently, there's the possibility to easy gain positions.

What's to be seen is if you can keep that positions or otherwise the tyre dies in few laps and then you're compromised for the rest of the race.