Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollus

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Those strakes under the sidepod intakes seem not to be full height in the beginning, and by the time they become full height, they have shifted a bit away from the tub.
I think they allow more air though to the floor that apparent from some angles.
Rivals, not enemies.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

That bottom pic also confused me so much trying to figure out where the front lip of the floor is.

Then I realised that the Ferrari floor front lip above the strakes has a very sharp leading edge as opposed the the merc and Red Bulls with their chunky leading edges.

Probably another area where the ferrari reduces drag with a part that cuts through the air instead of pushing against it to redirect it.

A sharp edge like that might also create a bit of turbulence vortex behind (on top of) it that gets blasted sideways by the undercut shape and powered up further by the strake exits at the front of the floor and edge wings etc.

Also interesting to see how the entirety of the throat of the floor has strakes in front of it right from the splitter to the edge of the floors "bargeboard". As opposed to merc where they seem to have squashed all their strakes up to the outer edge of the floor.

PlatinumZealot

Owen.C93 wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 12:04
Chuckjr wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 00:58
Owen.C93 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:28
I don’t think I’ve ever seen plank wear that far rearward before. Not sure how they manage it.

The front end looks near solid from a heave perspective, but if they just rotate around the front axle I’d expect wear marks at rearmost part of the plank which I don’t.
Rear wear must be from the porpoising. The whole rear of the car slams to the ground dozens of times every lap.
Yes it's from porposing. But I don't see how it can be localised to a region 2/3rd of the way down the plank when it should be flat. In theory it should only wear at the front or rear edge at one time.

Maybe they have a small amount of curvature in the tolerance allowance.

https://i.imgur.com/31T3GYz.png

As for the whole floor design. I think the most interesting part is how they start their strakes from under the tub and not at the inlet like other teams. It's pretty aggressive in terms of expansion ratio. Especally as the air under the tub is pretty clean and far away from the wheel wake.

You can see the under tub strake has been cut as part of the legal zones when looked side on.

https://i.imgur.com/N627iTN.png
As a medium-time watcher of F1 it's not new to see the back of the plank worn. It's the days of high rake cars that made it not happen but I remember seeing planks worn like that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Owen.C93 wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 12:04
Chuckjr wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 00:58
Owen.C93 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:28
I don’t think I’ve ever seen plank wear that far rearward before. Not sure how they manage it.

The front end looks near solid from a heave perspective, but if they just rotate around the front axle I’d expect wear marks at rearmost part of the plank which I don’t.
Rear wear must be from the porpoising. The whole rear of the car slams to the ground dozens of times every lap.
Yes it's from porposing. But I don't see how it can be localised to a region 2/3rd of the way down the plank when it should be flat. In theory it should only wear at the front or rear edge at one time.

Maybe they have a small amount of curvature in the tolerance allowance.

https://i.imgur.com/31T3GYz.png

As for the whole floor design. I think the most interesting part is how they start their strakes from under the tub and not at the inlet like other teams. It's pretty aggressive in terms of expansion ratio. Especally as the air under the tub is pretty clean and far away from the wheel wake.

You can see the under tub strake has been cut as part of the legal zones when looked side on.

https://i.imgur.com/N627iTN.png
For my own edification, what is that slot at the back underside of the tub?

vorticism

hollus wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 12:17
Those strakes under the sidepod intakes seem not to be full height in the beginning...
Correct. They have an "r" shape. Image
𓄀

Andi76
Andi76

GrizzleBoy wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 12:24
That bottom pic also confused me so much trying to figure out where the front lip of the floor is.

Then I realised that the Ferrari floor front lip above the strakes has a very sharp leading edge as opposed the the merc and Red Bulls with their chunky leading edges.

Probably another area where the ferrari reduces drag with a part that cuts through the air instead of pushing against it to redirect it.

A sharp edge like that might also create a bit of turbulence vortex behind (on top of) it that gets blasted sideways by the undercut shape and powered up further by the strake exits at the front of the floor and edge wings etc.

Also interesting to see how the entirety of the throat of the floor has strakes in front of it right from the splitter to the edge of the floors "bargeboard". As opposed to merc where they seem to have squashed all their strakes up to the outer edge of the floor.
The sharp leading edge and the undercut definetely creates a vortex. Ferrari were the first in 2003 to do this very sucessfully to better seal the underfloor. This leading edge and the small undercut even reminds me a lot of the F2003 GA.

mzso
mzso

wowgr8 wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 15:05
At Maranello they are confident of extracting further potential from their power unit when they have completed the homologation program on the reliability of Spec 1, filling the torque curve with the introduction of Spec 2, now more shifted to low revs.
Italian media say spec 2 will have a different torque curve, specifically shifted towards low revs, what does this mean for performance?
What "spec 2"? There can be no more specs because of homologation.

mzso
mzso

dialtone wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:08
_cerber1 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:05
SSScoffee wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:49
Any pics of Sainz's floor?
https://soymotor.com/sites/default/file ... k=Y6GFeWfy
Those strakes leave a tiny amount of air to come through the diffuser, wow.
One would think that getting the most air into the tunnel is the way to go to achieve performance.

mzso
mzso

LM10 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 22:21
Fer.Fan wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 21:52
What a good pictures, for MB and Red Bull. Dream pictures for main rivals. Well done Carlos #-o #-o #-o #-o
Stupid mistake, second race in a row.
Isn’t the value of these pictures being exaggerated? I mean, teams have different philosophies. Would it even make sense to copy such a sensitive area like the floor instead of developing their own ones?

Also, especially now at the very beginning of these new regulations when teams will bring numerous updates the variation will be huge. Ferrari will bring a new floor to Spain, for example.

Another thing I noticed is that we’ve seen Mercedes and RedBull mechanics holding the floor with it’s bottom perfectly visible for us - seemingly without caring much about the fact we could see it. I wonder why? Maybe because of the possible reasons I’ve mentioned above?
Maybe the floors are so restricted by regulation their contribution to performance difference is insignificant.
Last edited by mzso on 24 Apr 2022, 20:12, edited 2 times in total.

Andi76
Andi76

mzso wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 17:33
wowgr8 wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 15:05
At Maranello they are confident of extracting further potential from their power unit when they have completed the homologation program on the reliability of Spec 1, filling the torque curve with the introduction of Spec 2, now more shifted to low revs.
Italian media say spec 2 will have a different torque curve, specifically shifted towards low revs, what does this mean for performance?
What "spec 2"? There can be no more specs because of homologation.
There can be. Only the ICE, the turbo, the MGU-H, exhaust system, fuel and oil specification are "frozen" since March 1st. That still leaves other areas like the MGU-K, electronics, energy store open for developement untill Sept. 1st. Then we have a full "engine-freeze".
mzso wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 18:33
dialtone wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:08
Those strakes leave a tiny amount of air to come through the diffuser, wow.
One would think that getting the most air into the tunnel is the way to go to achieve performance.
Its not as easy as that. The air gets accelerated by gradually decreasing the cross-sectional area and then decelerated back to its original speed and pressure by gradually increasing the cross sectional area. This must be balanced. Just getting more air in the tunnel can destroy this balance. You cannot just get "most air" into the tunnel. The tunnels must be able to work with this air and not get "overloaded", as you also must be able to get it out and bring it back to its original speed and pressure.

jagunx51

look how the nose cone is "peeled off"

............!!!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

You can see all of the pressure taps in the front wing on that last photo.

Nano4k

i had to do it.

flying Ferrari from Lec

to be continued? 2023?

GrrG

Technical analysis of Federico Albano's Imola Grand Prix

https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 14892.html

vorticism

Nano4k wrote: