Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

multisync wrote:Strange as I heard the chassis and areo updates available to Mac's was capable of an additional 1-2 secs per lap with the 'right' engine power so for him to say it's behind the curve is strange
Well that could mean they have updates ready to go on the car but have refrained from using them due to the problems with the Honda power unit. If Honda have fixed them ? I guess we'll find out relatively shortly how good the MP4-30 is.

Andres125sx

Jef Patat wrote:Is that Honda knocking themselves on the chest and blaming McLaren for the first time? If the engine is better than Renault then MCL-Honda should be better than Red Bull and Torro Rosso?
In Hungary they were pretty close, and even McLaren people said several times the aero package still need a lot of development, and even recognized their problems are not only PU related. OTOH Red Bull and STR both have strong aero packages, so I don´t think the statement is so bold.

Anycase we all know these sort of PR must be taken as it is. We´ll see in 6 days

f1universe
f1universe

taperoo2k wrote:
multisync wrote:Strange as I heard the chassis and areo updates available to Mac's was capable of an additional 1-2 secs per lap with the 'right' engine power so for him to say it's behind the curve is strange
Well that could mean they have updates ready to go on the car but have refrained from using them due to the problems with the Honda power unit. If Honda have fixed them ? I guess we'll find out relatively shortly how good the MP4-30 is.
Sounds like that, our engine is better so must be the car. The beauty of motorsport is no matter what you say, the track will put you in your place

Wazari

I don't know why you would think Arai-san is on drugs with that press release. It's been my personal experience in the past that the media will spin translations into the most controversial or sensationalistic way possible and lose the essence of what the speaker was really trying to say. Also for the record it is my nephew that it currently working for Honda racing, not my cousin.

I know there are major changes coming with the ICE part of the PU with emphasis on the combustion chamber design. When they will be introduced, I don't know. It appears that some changes will be in effect at Spa.

Also I am guessing that what Arai-san was trying to say is that McLaren's chassis and aero package needs to be synched better with Honda's power gains. There also could be a situation where all the available torque is not being transferred to the drive wheels without traction loss. McLaren might have set up the aero package and suspension settings for less HP at Hungary than what was available. This is where works teams like Mercedes and Ferrari have a distinct advantage. They can walk down the hallway and find out exactly what PU gains are being made with the shortest chain of communication possible. I think the fact that Honda built a new facility in McLaren's backyard shows their commitment to tighten the communication lines between the two.

So it's always a balancing act between the chassis builder and the engine builder and with each party trying to create their part to maximize the potential from the other. We went through this with Williams, Lotus and McLaren back in the day. Poor Spirit was basically a guinea pig for us to test for the other the teams to come.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Thunder

McLaren Team Preview. As expected they are managing expectations to a realistic level.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2015/be ... x-preview/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

adrianjordan

The way I read it was that, because the engines have been tuned down, the aero and chassis haven't been fully tuned. Also that they are still suffering due to the hampered running in winter testing.

Not so much blaming Mclaren as simply explaining where they are and why...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

f1universe
f1universe

adrianjordan wrote:The way I read it was that, because the engines have been tuned down, the aero and chassis haven't been fully tuned. Also that they are still suffering due to the hampered running in winter testing.

Not so much blaming Mclaren as simply explaining where they are and why...
Arai is saying there is a big gap between the McLaren chassis and the RB chassis, in the other side we have Ron Dennis and Bullier saying the chassis is one of the best, not sure what to think about Arai's words. To me looks like he is trying to justifyn why RB is getting better results than McLaren, and he clearly said the problem is the chassis and not the "superior" Honda engine.

Andres125sx

f1universe wrote: in the other side we have Ron Dennis and Bullier saying the chassis is one of the best
And Button, in the same interview he did reckon the aero was painfull at the start of the season with loads of understeer, so I´ll take his word better than Arai´s one when talking about something he does not manufacture or drive.

a1b2i3r45

f1universe wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
Sounds like that, our engine is better so must be the car. The beauty of motorsport is no matter what you say, the track will put you in your place
The total output power maybe higher than the renault, but that does not mean the driveability & the mapping is better and it makes a big difference.

mclaren111

Martin Brundle:
"The key thing that has hit Honda is that power, reliability, and fuel consumption are, with these engines, effectively all the same thing," explains Brundle. "You have to have all three and if you don’t get the combustion right then you don’t have power, fuel efficiency or reliability. But the upside of that is that if they do get it right, then there will be big gains.”
Interesting thoughts

Thunder

The Full Artcle to mclaren111's Quote:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12479/ ... hey-fix-it
#aerogollum

mclaren111

“Honda has updated our combustion characteristics to further improve our power units for Spa and the second half of the season,” said Honda's motorsport boss Yasuhisa Arai. “This weekend's free practices will be important to test the pairing of the power units to the cars.
The Belgian race, however, will surely be a difficult one for the team and drivers, with expected grid penalties and a long and unforgiving power circuit.
This means they will not be running at full power :cry: :cry:

Thunder

Where does he say that?
#aerogollum

GoranF1
GoranF1

I think here....also 130Bhp down according to GPS.
Arai may lose his job soon,due to his big mouth...
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/ho ... ce-at-spa/
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

mclaren111 wrote:
“Honda has updated our combustion characteristics to further improve our power units for Spa and the second half of the season,” said Honda's motorsport boss Yasuhisa Arai. “This weekend's free practices will be important to test the pairing of the power units to the cars.
The Belgian race, however, will surely be a difficult one for the team and drivers, with expected grid penalties and a long and unforgiving power circuit.
This means they will not be running at full power :cry: :cry:
It does not, it merely means the drivers, Honda engineers and McLaren will have a lot to do in terms of how the increased power effects the cars handling and other technical issues that may develop. As far as the power goes ? It's about getting the power unit to work to the point where you can run it at peak efficiency, so you have predictable power delivery, energy recovery and reliability etc. I doubt even Mercedes run their power unit at it's ultimate power level.