Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Re: Ferrari SF23

gordonthegun wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 18:41
This photo is from the Spanish GP, when the new sidepods were introduced.
The pull-rod entry into the bodywork is very close to the floor:

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ion-1.webp

This one is from today. The pull rod entry seems in a higher position:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzzVmF9WYAQ ... name=large
Looks likely the same to me. Shadows playing a bit of tricks so you cant see the curvature and thus real height.

The angle of it, while also not some definitive proof, would also suggest nothing has changed.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Couple of points. Has the beam wing been modified? Looks a slightly different profile although again might be the angle/poor interpretation of the image.

Also notice there seems to be some change around the diffuser in relation to the serrations? Or is that a shadow?

vorticism

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 10:19
If there was a SIS tube there, such a clean geometry wouldn't be possible - as seen on McLaren and Mercedes.

https://i.ibb.co/711gZvh/fiorano-2-2023.jpg
I think they're the only one doing this because their sidepod undercut is pushed farther forward than other teams, corresponding with this steep floor ramp, everything is more compressed forward. If it was swept back like RB or McL the bulb cover would need to be even larger. As well since their floor is so low so far forward, they might not be able to hide a SIPS in there without a huge cover. So, we might be looking at the two choices depending on legality boxes:

SIPS high in sidepod when floor is low in region (Ferrari)
SIPS low in floor when floor is high in region (RB, McL, AMF1)
𓄀

gordonthegun

Old floor on the car in the garage:

gordonthegun

dialtone wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 20:18
f1316 wrote:
gordonthegun wrote:
This photo is from the Spanish GP, when the new sidepods were introduced.
The pull-rod entry into the bodywork is very close to the floor:

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ion-1.webp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzzVmF9WYAQ ... name=large
Wow great spot. I’m conscious of angles and how they can fool you but looking at these it seems hard to argue against there being a difference. I wonder if there were compatible shots in Canada or if this forms part of the set up changes (inc softer suspension settings) that they supposedly found at the tyre test?
Nah they're the same, engine cover is very different. You can't change the suspension without changing half the car.
Canada:

Austria:

Vanja #66

vorticism wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 21:15
I think they're the only one doing this because their sidepod undercut is pushed farther forward than other teams, corresponding with this steep floor ramp, everything is more compressed forward.
Yes, the car started with more undercut than 2022, but a lot less than RB19. With that geometry they needed the SIS tube inside the sidepod, so they could declutter the floor.

gordonthegun wrote:
Indeed it is, great spot. So this was one of those "internal" suspension changes made.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

vorticism

How much do you want bet this is an edge-wing-skate hybrid? The barrel shape is back, the wing forms the forward part of it, and there's a cryptic witness line just aft of the suspension cable anchor--the cable anchor which is conveniently acting as an anchor (perhaps giving them an extra connection beyond the six permitted). Next time it's lifted up onto a truck we shall see...

dialtone wrote:

Nah they're the same, engine cover is very different. You can't change the suspension without changing half the car.
I agree, I think what we're seeing is a slightly different ride height with associated rod displacement. The vertical window looks the same relative to seams.

Edit: compare in these photos. The window is in the same location relative to the checkerboard weave.

Last edited by vorticism on 30 Jun 2023, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

vorticism wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 23:08
How much do you want bet this is an edge-wing-skate hybrid? The barrel shape is back, the wing forms the forward part of it, and there's a cryptic witness line just aft of the suspension cable anchor--the cable anchor which is conveniently acting as an anchor (perhaps giving them an extra connection beyond the six permitted). Next time it's lifted up onto a truck we shall see...

dialtone wrote:

I agree, I think what we're seeing is a slightly different ride height with associated rod displacement. The vertical window looks the same relative to seams.
Sorry, can you explain what you mean by edge wing skate hybrid? I’m lost 😂

vorticism

Vinlarr89 wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 23:14
Sorry, can you explain what you mean by edge wing skate hybrid? I’m lost 😂
Now that I look at that other photo again, they have a tube running to that area taped to the floor so it might just be a pressure tap detail. So this is totally speculative, but would allow them both a wing and a skate. Note Mclaren may have had something like this already, in older photos there was an edge wing that passed above and below the floor.

𓄀

chrstphrln

vorticism wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 23:08

dialtone wrote:

Edit: compare in these photos. The window is in the same location relative to the checkerboard weave.

https://i.postimg.cc/6qCkCwm1/IMG-2387.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L6T7SyKf/IMG-2388.jpg
:wtf:

For me it is clearly not.
Just count the squares or look closely at the distance to the bottom parting line of the floor.
It is different.

organic

New parts - Austria

dialtone
dialtone

No suspension. Checking the suspension geometry around parts like diffuser sidewall or sidepods that both changed is going to lead to see ghosts.

One and Only

Different floor could result with suspension arm entering it at different spot. Meaning suspension didn't move up, but rather floor moved down.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

organic

Xyz22
Xyz22