2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

-wkst- wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:32
Yep, from the first lap on the hards he simply was uncompetitive, most likely just a lack of grip, so he decided to concentrate on the guys behind.

You could see that pretty good how different lines PIA was able to take in every corner, ALO very cautious on the other side like he still had a full tank.

But the team is obviously aware of the grip problem - just look at the "weird" tyre choice for the race, which makes a bit sense now.

Or as ALO said multiple times: the extra grip of a new set in Q hides their problems.

I thought that Alonso knew Piastri couldn't pass him and that he wasn't fast enough to pass the guys in front of him. He just brought it home. In fact he was toying with Piastri, pushing him into Russell. Killing Piastri tires by keeping him close.
Last edited by diffuser on 07 Apr 2024, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

Good race by Alonso. plus data on all three compounds across different fuel loads. Hopefully car can be optimised even further. Stroll needs to up his game or needs to retire from the sport

F1doc
F1doc

nowaysthatsreal wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:48
Stroll needs to up his game or needs to retire from the sport
Very. Again he is the most likely driver of the "top 5" teams to not score, as proven again today.

-wkst-
-wkst-

diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:43
-wkst- wrote:
Yep, from the first lap on the hards he simply was uncompetitive, most likely just a lack of grip, so he decided to concentrate on the guys behind.

You could see that pretty good how different lines PIA was able to take in every corner, ALO very cautious on the other side like he still had a full tank.

But the team is obviously aware of the grip problem - just look at the "weird" tyre choice for the race, which makes a bit sense now.

Or as ALO said multiple times: the extra grip of a new set in Q hides their problems.

I thought that Alonso knew Piastri couldn't pass him and that he wasn't fast enough to pass the guys in front of him. He just brought it home. In fact he was toying with Piastri, pushing him into Russell. Killing Piastri tires by keeping him close.
He controlled PIA, but not as comfortable as in the 2 previous stints. PIA closed the gap way too fast. I don’t believe that ALO likes to have a driver a lot of time in the „dangerous“ DRS range. 1,5-2 sec is „playing“, what ALO often does to kill the opponents tyres.

NAPI10
NAPI10

F1doc wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:51
nowaysthatsreal wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:48
Stroll needs to up his game or needs to retire from the sport
Very. Again he is the most likely driver of the "top 5" teams to not score, as proven again today.
AM should sign Sainz replacing Lance ; can’t miss this golden opportunity [-o< [-o<

peewon

-wkst- wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 10:59
diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:43
-wkst- wrote:

He controlled PIA, but not as comfortable as in the 2 previous stints. PIA closed the gap way too fast. I don’t believe that ALO likes to have a driver a lot of time in the „dangerous“ DRS range. 1,5-2 sec is „playing“, what ALO often does to kill the opponents tyres.
I think it was very comfortable. You needed a significant pace advantage even to pass into turn 1 with DRS. If you were 0.5+ ahead at the start of the straight, you were probably safe. Alonso just loves to preserve tyres so he sort of let Piastri close up.

Jambier

Happy overall.

Car and Alonso solid in qualy AND race.

Now let’s continue and see if they can grab some podiums.

Thing is Red Bull and Ferrari are the clear two best teams, so it will be hard for the others to grab podiums

Season being very very long I still keep hope let’s push

Jambier

Again for me this year is showing more than 2023 that Aston can be a top team.

Last year felt like a « luck » with others doing bad like 2009 felt like with Brawn, this year is more impressive IMO

SSJ4
SSJ4

Good tyre deg

xReVo
xReVo

0 performance differences compared to previous weekends (the gaps don't matter much, they change based on the track, strategy, etc.) with Alonso fighting against Piastri and the two Mercedes. The objective should be to beat Ferrari, but evidently I have a different mentality. In any case, great race from Alonso, I hope they bring some updates that work.

-wkst-
-wkst-

SSJ4 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 15:45

Good tyre deg
Context is everything. If you do not push at the start of a stint your deg looks better, but the average lap time still shows the real picture....

diffuser

SSJ4 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 15:45

Good tyre deg
I think that information is interesting but it's unidimensional. So in Alonso's case he is always controlling his pace. He was never stuck behind someone that was reducing his pace. When you look at Russell's Medium pace at the end of the race, alot of the drop off is cause he comes up on Piastri.

Waz
Waz

Stroll had some gutsy overtaking moves during the race, but it seemed he was setup with more downforce at the rear, and suffered a bit in top speed.

Alonso his usual genius, drove an excellent race on all 3 tires, great overtaking when needed after pit stops, and brilliant use of DRS to keep Piastri as a buffer. McLaren had weaker top speed and Alonso obviously confident of keeping him behind. Notice how Alonso broke the 1 second barrier immediately after the straight each lap and then dropped back into it before the detection zone.

He clearly had some pace to spare at the end, scampering off with a lap nearly 2 seconds faster after Russell passed Piastri.

Race management by AM still a bit weak.

Otromundo

I am happy with the race. It has been better than could be expected taking into account logic and that we are practically racing with one driver. Although nothing to object because the other is polite, I liked his start in this race... and his family pays the bills on time. Plus they seem to know what they are doing.

Soft ones at the beginning was one of the alternatives considering that the car still seems a bit sperm whale-type to me when it is loaded. And there were also many with the soft ones behind. Thank goodness the accident was on the first lap, if it had been 4-5 laps later the soft ones would have been a fiasco.

ALO with PIA reminded me of the same situation it had with NOR and it ended the same: ALO managed to burn the McL's tires. It's fine and shows the vast resources that ALO has in the race... but it would be better not to depend so much on ALO's hocus-pocus and tricks to score above the team's current possibilities. Indeed, that's what they chose him for and pay him... but a technical advantage somewhere would be nice. Soon.

For me the season has started, now we will see how the teams perform and progress by improving their cars. If MB is still asleep we have to be able to travel comfortably with the McLs first. Ferraris, despite their fun family skirmishes, I think have several decisive advantages. It will be difficult to reach them. This is how I see things: 1.- pair ourselves comfortably with McL both in qualifying and in the race.
2.- The Ferraris...
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

SSJ4
SSJ4

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong. The car is still 5th best in terms of race pace.

Mike krack wasn’t calling these upgrades a “package”. Probably had them in the windtunnel before pre season testing. Guess we’ll have to wait for imola like most other teams