New carbon fibre wheels

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
marcush.
marcush.

Re: New carbon fibre wheels

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

marcush. wrote:What about those?

http://www.rotobox-wheels.com/#preformance
oooooooooooooooooooooo. i like those too. i may have to buy a motorcycle just to use those wheels. or maybe i'll just buy one wheel and hang it on the wall as art.

note again how they turn the corner from the spoke to the rim with a relatively small radius, not with some huge, smooth, blended, non-distinct blob corner. those radii are probably about as small as you can get using the woven fabric shown. they look similar to the radii on the car wheel that started this thread. laying up a ply-by ply uni aircraft stiffener you could get a smaller radius.

just before the pull tests i saw, the stress guy behind the design said to the composite design engineers watching "the smaller the corner, the better. use the minimum radius around which you can bend the fibers without breaking them."

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Lycoming wrote:....Additionaly, how easy is it to damage these things in the process of mounting the tire?
an excellent point. composites are not good for point loads like those incurred with a typical tire mounting machine. i suspect they must have some special mounting machine or a temporary metal rim bewteen the tire and the machine that they remove after the tire is mounted.