BAR Honda 2002 chassis 09 rebuild

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
thestig84
thestig84

Re: BAR Honda 2002 chassis 09 rebuild

Busy couple days driving but worth it as now the chassis is home!
Loading it up

A little bit of cleaning and organisation
I picked up some more bits while I was collecting the tub. Some more useful than others. The lower wishbones that I had left in the tub from earlier visit fitting are a big win, wing mirrors, steering rack (although might not use) and a fair few other useful bits and bobs.

Will update further once settled in with a bit more of a plan. Updates probably come in fits and starts.
(The nose and front wing isn't mine. Its a 2001 so doesn't fit anyway!)

thestig84
thestig84

Some progress. Sorry its a bit random, just enjoying getting stuck in....so its important big stuff mixed with more finishing touch type bits depending on free time.

3D printer is coming in very useful. The lower wishbone rear mounting recess hole was 95mm taller than the wishbone. No idea what the original correct solution is but for the time being this printed spacer will work.

Designed and printed a rain light housing that fits a modified Chinese rain light in. Finished off with a modified rain light carbon BAR 060 cover

And now with wishbones fitted. Also added the chassis access panel, that was a BAR 020 part I have trimmed down to fit

thestig84
thestig84

Progress on the steering. 3d printed some column supports. Needed to have the column bar turned down a tiny bit to fit the two 22mm bearings.

With the column in position I could finish mounting the wheel checking the positioning against pictures and feel.
Finished 3d printed paddles and boss fitted

Wheel in position. Still need to wire up the dash but that will wait until quick release spline and universal joins by the rack are located and welded.
(Made and added couple period chassis placards from its one F1 championship race)

Might notice the mirrors (think they are BAR showcar versions). The mirror glass is ready to be fitted after paint. Another 3d print job made the glass holding bracket.

Tapped and fitted some helicoil inserts that seem to support the mirrors all ok

coaster

The good old ender3 saves the day, nice.

thestig84
thestig84

It really has and I'm sure will continue to do so. It would be so time consuming and expensive to have to have bits made.

Obviously I will need to have certain items made but even then I will probably print prototypes first.

thestig84
thestig84

Progress on the rear wing. The 040 has a beam wing that intersects the rear crash structure. I have the rear crash structure but not the beam wing. I did have an R&D 070 and 080 beam wing. The 080 outer end plate attachment holes lined up with my end plates so unfortunately that was the chosen one and got chopped in half! Some aluminium and a bit of 3d printing and I made it fit as close as I could get to the 040 from photos

Now back to the rack. The spline was welded on. That meant I could now drill the hole for the wiring loom and solder the connector for the wheel. Once that was done I also fitted a carbon shroud to help it look a little more original.

Might spot in those pictures there is now a seat. Its a Williams FW29 seat that I had to trim a bit. Seems a good fit though.
A decent ebay find popped up, a 6 point Willans harness.
As you can see it is for a track car so the belts are too long. I have had a tailor shorten all the belts down and a few other attachment changes to make it fit and more like the origianl.

With the rack connector wiring/loom finished I was very happy the wheel wiring worked. The display powers on and the switches can change the gear number and switch on the rain light.
The cockpit how it currently stands. Photo with wheel powered on and modified belts fitted

I will post steering rack pic tomorrow, just waiting on a coat of paint

thestig84
thestig84

Steering rack now complete and functional. (All but a missing LH steering arm.)
Bit more use of carbon tubing to tidy up the look.

Until such time as I find a more suitable single seater steering rack I have returned to China to get a surprisingly usable go kart rack. Made a mounting plate and 3d printed two clamps, its all using original holes and fully reversible
Pictures of the front overall and one of the rack looking back into the cockpit