huge diesel engine

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The engines are two stroke diesels, and it must be assumed forced induction.
Here are some pictures and info, just click images Engine and Machinery
http://english.hhi.co.kr/Promotion/Gallery.asp

GrndLkNatv
GrndLkNatv

Re:

luisandregg wrote:
manchild wrote:I've read about those new single-propeller tankers that can use their own engine only outside the ports since rotation of such huge propeller would create “tsunami” in port (diameter 9 m and weight between 90 and 100 t).
Here is the largest one I could find on the web http://www.hhiir.com/hiview.asp?ino=574&page=
What kind of machine is used to manufacture such propellers, man??

Here in the states there was a company called Bruce McBeth who build engines of that size to power Ships, Tug Boats and Ice Houses. My friend has pictures of him, his mom and sister standing on top of a piston looking up through the top of the cylinder.
Machines are fixed with tools and parts and people with kindness and understanding.

Giblet
Giblet

Re: huge diesel engine

While I was doing an IT for a large forestry company, that has the largest private rail network in North America, I drank a large bottle of rye with a train engine mechanic. Well, to be clear, it was when we were done work :)

Hearing stories of working on 128 litre v16 engines was interesting drunk talk.

He said it's really no different than regular engine work, except you can not lift any of it. The basic rule is "up one size". If you needed a socket wrench on a regular diesel, you needed a 3 foot torque wrench on this. Screwdriver - Airhammer. Rubber Mallet? 4 pound sledge with a rubber mat, etc.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute