Elliptical tube chassis, question

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Belatti
Belatti

Re: Elliptical tube chassis, question

I don´t think an oval tube is much different than an elliptic tube, regarding the pic I posted there. And more: I don´t know if commercial tubes manufacturing process is that refined to respect such tight geometric definitions.

To answer your question (without ecuations) Miguel first we must talk about type of loads and loads directions. Section A can be stiffer than section B in torsion while section B can be stiffer than A in flexion. Also, an oval or elliptical tube is stiffer if bended (flexion) in one direction (longer axe) than in the other (shorter axe), passing through all intermadiate states from the maximum to the minimum. A circular tube has the same resistence to flexion in any direction (revolution simetry).

The key to visualize and understand how flexion works: you must learn how to calculate (at least intuitively :wink: ) second moments of innertia (dunno if called like this in english) regarding axes (X or Y for a given section). But unfortunately you asked for no equations... :)

The key to visualize and understand how torsion works (for closed sections): membrane theory! Just imagine you are holding the tube in your hand and you cover the hole in one extre with soap, while insuflate air from the other side. The soap will "inflate" forming a bubble (a membrane). Try to picture in your mind that membrane. In the places where that inflated membrane has the maximum slope, there you will have the maximum torsion tangencial tensions. A section wich is stiffer on torsion is a section where a membrane would not "inflate" so much.

Opened profiles (C, L, I) are not good for torsion. "I" profiles are the best for flexion.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Miguel
Miguel

Thank you very much!
Belatti wrote: The key to visualize and understand how flexion works: you must learn how to calculate (at least intuitively :wink: ) second moments of innertia (dunno if called like this in english) regarding axes (X or Y for a given section). But unfortunately you asked for no equations... :)
It seems they are called like that, at least according to wikipedia. By the way, I asked for no equations because I'm a bad, bad forumer, and didn't want you to hide behind maths :twisted:
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Belatti
Belatti

Miguel wrote: By the way, I asked for no equations because I'm a bad, bad forumer, and didn't want you to hide behind maths :twisted:
:lol:
Maths for a single beam are reeeeally simple. Then it keeps getting complicated. :)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna