Car enginetones... like ringtones?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
tommylommykins
tommylommykins

Re: Car enginetones... like ringtones?

Urm, sorry to point out the obvious... but don't most normal internal combustion cars produce almost no noteworthy engine-noise at all?

I'm a cyclist, and I listen out for the road-noise of cars rather than the the engine-note.

RH1300S
RH1300S

Ciro Pabón wrote:Hybrids make no noise, so some people is asking for the car to produce some kind of noise, with speakers on the bumpers, to warn pedestrians and cyclists.

I want the enginetone of a Formula One engine, of course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/autom ... l?_r=1&hpw
I'd go for Ride of the Valkyries - Wagner

v. LOUD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx7XNb3Q9Ek

Giblet
Giblet

tommylommykins wrote:Urm, sorry to point out the obvious... but don't most normal internal combustion cars produce almost no noteworthy engine-noise at all?

I'm a cyclist, and I listen out for the road-noise of cars rather than the the engine-note.

Sure, so as a cyclist you understand how much you can feel / hear your tires. Hybrids have very low cd, and low rolling resistance narrow tires making hybrids quieter in this department as well. Anyone with a sporty car or an aftermarket intake you can hear coming.

Again a blind person might hear 1 car coming and not two if one was ahybrid.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

tommylommykins
tommylommykins

Giblet wrote:
tommylommykins wrote:Urm, sorry to point out the obvious... but don't most normal internal combustion cars produce almost no noteworthy engine-noise at all?

Sure, so as a cyclist you understand how much you can feel / hear your tires. Hybrids have very low cd, and low rolling resistance narrow tires making hybrids quieter in this department as well. Anyone with a sporty car or an aftermarket intake you can hear coming.

I do not feel other vehicles' tyres while I am cycling.

I can't say I've ever noticed a hybrid car on the road as I've been cycling... This could either be because I have never actually come across one or because they do not make noise in such significantly fewer amounts that I've noticed the silence while being overtaken and then realising that they were hybrid.

Regardless, until I see good proof that such cars really are silent and deadly, I will go on holding the opinion that anything fast enough to overtake me will be loud enough for me to hear it before I see it (and I'm by no means a fast cyclist, but anything fast enough to get past me would be travelling at 'normal' urban road speeds)

Maybe I'm just being big-headed and am about to be squashed by the next hybrid that comes anywhere near my rear wheel, but this problem is not one that worries me significantly.

autogyro
autogyro

So why then have electric push bikes been banned in a number of Chinese Cities because of the huge increase in accidents?
Is this partly because of the lower sound relative to speed?

Giblet
Giblet

tommylommykins wrote:
Giblet wrote:

I do not feel other vehicles' tyres while I am cycling.

I can't say I've ever noticed a hybrid car on the road as I've been cycling... This could either be because I have never actually come across one or because they do not make noise in such significantly fewer amounts that I've noticed the silence while being overtaken and then realising that they were hybrid.

Regardless, until I see good proof that such cars really are silent and deadly, I will go on holding the opinion that anything fast enough to overtake me will be loud enough for me to hear it before I see it (and I'm by no means a fast cyclist, but anything fast enough to get past me would be travelling at 'normal' urban road speeds)

Maybe I'm just being big-headed and am about to be squashed by the next hybrid that comes anywhere near my rear wheel, but this problem is not one that worries me significantly.
Your on a bike, so it takes a certain amount of '---" to do it anyways. I have mentioned the unsighted twice in this forum, and these are the people that are being addressed. When a blind person is at an intersection, he is using every bit of mental power to hear the beeping on both sides of the street, so he can cross, straight. A blind person will have to trust these intersections.

Problem being, is if a car is waiting to turn right (left in UK), quite often they completely forget about pedestrians, and start to turn just as we get the pedestrian walk sign changes. A car sitting there waiting to turn, makes enough noise to hear (fanbelt, intake, etc). A hybrid shust off, and is completely silent. The blind person will not know it is there.

The entire auto industry is in agreement form a quick google.

As well, I said you can feel and hear your tires when cycling not other cars tires.

I think you are being big headed, not accounting for the people in our society who are not able to do what you can do.

"A Toyota spokesman, John Hanson, said: “I don’t know of any injuries related to this, but it is a concern. We are moving rapidly toward broader use of electrification in vehicles, and it’s a fact that these cars are very quiet and could pose a risk to unsighted people.”"

Seems more than obvious to me.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

Oh, and my bicycle has an 80cc 2 stroke on it.

It's louder then everything around me bar boy racer fart cannon exhaust, and it goes ~60kph.

_GOGGS_

If I'm driving an electric car, i don't want it to make any noise, and i don't want anyone to see me driving it either.
_GOGGS_
-Forza Ferrari-
http://www.ferrarif1forum.com

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

You're right, unless one is a middle aged white or asian person, because in that case it's perfectly fine. :lol:

On the subject of hybrids and pedestrian accidents...
NHTSA study indicates hybrids have higher pedestrian crash rates - Autoblog
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Pandamasque