Cycling aerodynamics

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ciro Pabón

Re: Cycling aerodynamics

Well, not dead, just evolving: ;) after the controversy surrounding swimsuits, no wonder the UCI ruled so. However, notice it exempts thermal management, and, I imagine, nobody will go against safety. I hope that in a year, your cyclist partners will say something like: "Leg shaving? Oh, c'mon, use a Noname Fuzzy, mate".

Manchild, I find a terrible flaw in the design you posted: shouldn't this bike use cyclist shoes? You know, for better grip...
Ciro

syguy

FuzzyDice wrote:from aerodynamic point of view is smooth leg really better?
I don't think so - for the same reason that golf balls with dimples travel further than those without. Also a turbulent boundary layer will dissipate heat better through convection than a laminar boundary layer. I believe evolution has left us with just enough residual fur to minimize drag and maximize heat transfer. For more try http://www.symscape.com/blog/why-do-cyc ... their-legs
Symscape, Computer-Aided Engineering for all

FuzzyDice
FuzzyDice

good this proves that im not the only crazy person thinking of aerodynamic benefits of unshaven legs :D