2010 Endurance news

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: 2010 Endurance news

Carbon wrote:I hope all the Endurance Fans here caught last weekend's ALMS from Long Beach - HIGHLY ENTERTAINING, especially the last lap!

2 hours of awesomeness. =D> =D> =D>
Yeah, great race, too bad not too many of those will be around in ALMS this year. After long beach there will be no more factory cars til PLM(if you don't count the Highcroft Acura/HPD. At most we can hope for 1 Dyson vs 1 Highcroft, with maybe the Intersport Lola mixes in here and there....

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Dome letter is a good read despite initially hard to understand the Japanese English. You can really feel his frustration....

dumrick
dumrick

Indeed RacingManiac, that's a bit hard to understand at first, but one gets used to it with practice and I believe it's possible to feel the irrational passion DOME guys have for Le Mans.

In related news, like it had been announced by Mr. Hayashi's letter, the DOME S102 is back on track!

Here's a photo of the car testing this Monday at Fuji Speedway:

To be noticed that the car hasn't run for two years, since Le Mans 2008. It is still in 2008 trim, including pre-2009 spec rear wing.

Pandamasque

What a car though! I wish they had some factory support in Japan. There are rumours about Lexus wanting to join the 2011 World Sportscar Championship (or whatever the name would be).

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Reading the letter it seems they were already soured in the 80s working with Toyota. Conflicting culture and distrust ultimately break-off the collaboration...

Pandamasque

The letter also mentioned they don't want to race out of their pocket but looking for sponsors is not their thing either. I just can't see how this is going to work.

dumrick
dumrick

RacingManiac wrote:Reading the letter it seems they were already soured in the 80s working with Toyota. Conflicting culture and distrust ultimately break-off the collaboration...
Well, my interpretation of the letter isn't that extreme. Sure, they were sidelined by Toyota after 1986 and the decision-making process at the time let DOME down, but the fault is given to the influence Tom's had with Toyota, those days.

To put it into perspective, in 1985 and 1986, Team Toyota at Le Mans were really two single-car teams racing each other. The cars were designed and manufactured by DOME, but car #36 was run by Tom's and #38 by DOME themselves. Hayashi writes that Tom's started head-hunting DOME's main design engineers, what lead in the end Toyota to enroll Tony Southgate to oversee new cars design, that started being built together with (and raced exclusively by) Tom's. That forced DOME to sit away from Le Mans for the 14 years that followed.

Like, in my opinion, most DOME vehicles, these Toyotas were stunning looking, but the results were poor and it's quite understandable the decision from Toyota to change.

On the subject of Monday's tests for the S102, it has completed 59 laps in a period of 2h10m, sharing the Fuji Speedway with other cars (Hayashi mentioned even Toyota Yaris-like vehicles testing together with them!). They've improved their time in 1s, compared with the baseline time the car had established, which Hayashi estimated should represent around 2,5s at Le Mans. Their goal is, by the end of the year, to have the car faster by 2s, compared with 2008.

I think it is relevant to remember that, before Le Mans 2008, DOME tested in Spa and, at the time, the times posted were very competitive (I remember them being close to what the Diesels achieved racing there). Sure, no Judd-powered car will ever beat the Diesels without these having problems, but 2011 will see a big revolution engine-wise, so let's wait and see if they find a solution to get this car back racing...

dumrick
dumrick

Audi's comments on the 30-hour test at Le Castellet in April show a strong confidence in the R15+:
Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich wrote:We haven’t had such a good endurance run for a long time. This has completed our durability testing. Now we’re able to fully concentrate on the performance of the R15 plus and smooth preparation for the race in the time that remains until Le Mans.

vyselegend

Panoz unveils it's new contender: the Abruzzi!

So here it is, the successor of the Esperante, 13 years later... Awsome looking car, very Panozish obviously... It has lots of personality. I think it looks more like a GTP than a traditional GT car.

More pics here

It's a very long car (4,877m), nearly as long as a Maserati MC12. Engine will be the 6,2L Chevrolet V8 from the Corvette LS9, developing 620HP.
Cars will only be delivered to their buyers at Le Mans, every year during the 24h!

Race version is planned to be ready for PLM. Then the plan for 2011 is to enter two cars in ALMS full-time, and Le Mans.
The program is at least for three year.

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

Wow its the batmobile!

Pandamasque

The proportions are very awkward as usually the case with Panoz. And the nose looks like the result of Esperante GTR1-Audi R15 mad love :)

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

There is a lot of "meat" above the wheel....almost as if the wheels are too small or something....

Pandamasque

This is (likely to be) LFA GTE.
There's a TMG badge near the fuel filler cap, that stands for Toyota Motorsport GMBH (Cologne).

It looks nothing like the cars raced by Gazoo at the 'Ring.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

In GTE guise it bears resemblance to what a modern Supra would look like.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.