Cadillac racing in F1 with Andretti

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
organic

Re: Cadillac racing in F1 with Andretti

Full statement:

Gooch
Gooch

JordanMugen wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 00:22
Of course. But as always, Andretti could have purchased Hispania Racing, Manor Racing or Caterham F1 many years ago. Formula One Management and the FIA did admit three new teams in 2010, after all, those teams were around for a while and were available for purchase when they became insolvent due to prize money only being padi to top 10 WCC.
Not exactly. Gainbridge, who were reported footing most or all of the F1 bill prior to the GM linkup, did not arrive at Andretti until Zach Veach started driving for them full time in 2018. All 3 teams were dead well before then.

Michael Andretti was an absolute moron for not completing the Sauber sale, though. He surely would have secured complete control of the organization by now had it gone through.

Now, this whole email thing is just another level. Embarrassing for Andretti, for sure, but also suggestive of how uncaring FOM was towards the entire process.

Cs98
Cs98

I feel like Andretti is trying to sell us a story here which doesn't make sense. On the one hand they say that they've known for many months that a potential entry was only ever going to be for 2026. On the other hand only a few weeks ago they release pictures of their wind tunnel model of what is clearly a current spec car, and when you read articles on that it says they've been using the Toyota wind tunnel since October designing a car for 2025. So why are you wasting time and money on a wind tunnel model that has no relevance for your entry? It also doesn't help that the model looks like a straight copy of the RB18. Seems to me like there's a lot of games being played here in the media, but not much actual work going on.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Weird how F1 rejected it right before the car launch season and a flurry of other attention-grabbing news

FW17

DOJ to announce antitrust lawsuit against Live Nation as soon as Thursday
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... antitrust/
leveraged its sprawling footprint — as a concert promoter, ticket seller and venue owner — to box out rivals in ways that lessened consumer choice and resulted in rising prices for consumers
Isnt this what Liberty is doing with F1 by promoting Las Vagas and Miami GP and blocking any other new races in the US?

JordanMugen

Why doesn't Andretti just enter some other series like Formula 2 and WEC to start with their European operations? :)

For what they are planning to spend, they could even start a one-make breakaway Grand Prix series too -- which would be lovely! =D>

It still doesn't add up why Andretti are so 'desperate' to enter Formula One now, yet they didn't apply in 2010, or buy any of those three insolvent teams from 2011-2015, or apply with HAAS in 2017 etc. :?:

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
30 May 2024, 17:46
Why doesn't Andretti just enter some other series like Formula 2 and WEC to start with their European operations? :)

For what they are planning to spend, they could even start a one-make breakaway Grand Prix series too -- which would be lovely! =D>

It still doesn't add up why Andretti are so 'desperate' to enter Formula One now, yet they didn't apply in 2010, or buy any of those three insolvent teams from 2011-2015, or apply with HAAS in 2017 etc. :?:
3 races in USA is a bug pull to them, but I agree, starting in F2 would remove the grounds for ant objections as long as they were competitive. Proven record etc
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FeelHeel
FeelHeel

R1’s blatant greed might just backfire in the US. Andretti organization has already proven its competence and dedication.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man, but he was not a good man.
— Phil Hill

Farnborough
Farnborough

FeelHeel wrote:
30 May 2024, 20:51
R1’s blatant greed might just backfire in the US. Andretti organization has already proven its competence and dedication.
"R1" ?

FeelHeel
FeelHeel

Sorry. Alzheimer’s kicking in. F1, of course.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man, but he was not a good man.
— Phil Hill

Mosin123
Mosin123

FeelHeel wrote:
Is money not the reason Andretti wants in? i didnt see him kicking up a fuss when teams was losing a fortune and walking a tight line between competing and bankruptcy - now they all make a nice sized profit he wants in..

its a new found dedication now f1 is in a little golden age.

FW17

Mosin123 wrote:
31 May 2024, 10:16
FeelHeel wrote:
Is money not the reason Andretti wants in? i didnt see him kicking up a fuss when teams was losing a fortune and walking a tight line between competing and bankruptcy - now they all make a nice sized profit he wants in..

That is BS, if it was the case FOM could have stipulated a no sale clause for a certain number of years.

feni_remmen
feni_remmen

At least on a monitory level, I understand why F1 doesn't want Andretti, although I would prefer that F1 had an open to all comers approach to this. At least from a sporting perspective I see no reason as to why F1 teams should be threatened by any outside teams coming in, IF the current teams are the best teams in the world. I WANT to see 13 teams at least. I appreciate that teams would be threatened by not having a prize money blanket covering all teams and I understand why FOCA tried to limit this to 10 teams...

Having said all that and while it is interesting that Andretti have gained a lot of support for an entry, I don't know what the fuss is. The third best team in Indycar and perhaps the 5th best team in US Motorsport will likely be somewhere in the back half of the F1 grid should they be allowed to race. This would be much more interesting if this was a discussion about Penske or Chip Ganassi Racing, but only just. Andretti Autosport have shown themselves to be competitive on a Sauber level. Sauber is one of my favourite teams through the years, but somehow the culture just isn't quite on the top level...

All that said, I would like them in. The rules should be turn up and try to qualify if you can, even though I appreciate this is unrealistic.

Especially in this era of budget caps, let Andretti in at the least level of commitment and let them sink or swim. I would like to see their commitment to the project if there were no guarantees...

Big Tea

I would like to see them in, but TBH they are probably getting as much out of this "argument" as they would get from being at the lower end of the grid. Not automatically assuming they would be, but but it is likely for a couple of years at least.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mosin123
Mosin123

FW17 wrote:
31 May 2024, 12:21
Mosin123 wrote:
31 May 2024, 10:16
FeelHeel wrote:

That is BS, if it was the case FOM could have stipulated a no sale clause for a certain number of years.
Whats BS? that he only wants in for money? Show me where before F1 started its little golden age, Andretti trying to get into F1?