2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

xReVo wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 15:59
0 performance differences compared to previous weekends (the gaps don't matter much, they change based on the track, strategy, etc.) with Alonso fighting against Piastri and the two Mercedes. The objective should be to beat Ferrari, but evidently I have a different mentality. In any case, great race from Alonso, I hope they bring some updates that work.
They consolidated the teams they finished ahead of in Quali, with the exception of Leclerc. Russell and Hamilton tried to make the same one long stint, like LeClerc, work for them and couldn't.

To AMR's credit, they were always running at plan + laps. This tells you they had some pace in hand. It was never Alonso saying, tires are finished, lets pit. It was the opposite. Tires are good we can go longer. How much more pace is anyone's guess.

diffuser

SSJ4 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 16:27
Oh yeah don’t get me wrong. The car is still 5th best in terms of race pace.

Mike krack wasn’t calling these upgrades a “package”. Probably had them in the windtunnel before pre season testing. Guess we’ll have to wait for imola like most other teams
I think they've over taken Merc in pace but it's close. Clearly faster in quali trim. More of a challenge in race trim but Merc have to overcome their quali deficit in the race and that isn't easy.

Otromundo

diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 16:29
xReVo wrote:
0 performance differences compared to previous weekends (the gaps don't matter much, they change based on the track, strategy, etc.) with Alonso fighting against Piastri and the two Mercedes. The objective should be to beat Ferrari, but evidently I have a different mentality. In any case, great race from Alonso, I hope they bring some updates that work.
They consolidated the teams they finished ahead of in Quali, with the exception of Leclerc. Russell and Hamilton tried to make the same one long stint, like LeClerc, work for them and couldn't.

To AMR's credit, they were always running at plan + laps. This tells you they had some pace in hand. It was never Alonso saying, tires are finished, lets pit. It was the opposite. Tires are good we can go longer. How much more pace is anyone's guess.
Agree 100%
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Otromundo wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 16:38
diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 16:29
xReVo wrote:

Agree 100%

Alonso last lap show much left in the tyres...
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https% ... aq2tc1.png

krich
krich

Long time reader and now registered! hi everyone!

It looks like the tire degradation issue has been resolved. The first and second stints on the soft and medium tires were competitive. However, Aston still needs to find four tenths to match Ferrari's pace (Red Bull is simply out of reach under these regulations).

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

krich wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 19:17

It looks like the tire degradation issue has been resolved. The first and second stints on the soft and medium tires were competitive. However, Aston still needs to find four tenths to match Ferrari's pace (Red Bull is simply out of reach under these regulations).
Is not simple as it is! Obviously Aston didn't went or couldn't go so fast as McLaren(Norris),Ferrari or Redbull.

Xyz22
Xyz22

krich wrote:

They are now using the same approach as Ferrari drivers used last year, that is carefully managing the pace through the race.
The upgrades probably helped a bit as well.

Joseki
Joseki

China will be a good test if dry (or at least it would have been if not for the Sprint weekend).

The track is very hard on the tyres and the long straight will make managing the pace and holding position almost impossible.
It should be a proper test on tyre wear.

diffuser

Xyz22 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 20:01
krich wrote:

They are now using the same approach as Ferrari drivers used last year, that is carefully managing the pace through the race.
Everybody does that.

Xyz22
Xyz22

diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:08
Xyz22 wrote:
krich wrote:

Everybody does that.
I know. Now that they know more about the limitations of the car they can manage it better to avoid extremely high deg. That is what i meant.

diffuser

Xyz22 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:20
diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:08
Xyz22 wrote:

Everybody does that.
I know. Now that they know more about the limitations of the car they can manage it better to avoid extremely high deg. That is what i meant.
I'm not convinced they had the new upgrades dialed in. They lost half of FP1,FP2 was rained out. So they had FP3 to dial in the upgrades, which was at colder temps than the race, and they didn't have the overnight to perform a deep analysis of the data gathered. They now have the race data and 2 weeks to prep for China.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 03:15

I'm not convinced they had the new upgrades dialed in. They lost half of FP1,FP2 was rained out. So they had FP3 to dial in the upgrades, which was at colder temps than the race, and they didn't have the overnight to perform a deep analysis of the data gathered. They now have the race data and 2 weeks to prep for China.
Check this interview from Alonso. It's suspicious (start at 35 seconds):

Baretto asked him what he thought about the upgrades.
Alonso says "It is difficult to compare from track to track but I guess we have a lot of data now after the whole weekend. We will analyze everything".
Why does he say it's difficult to compare from track to track when he drove the old car in FP1 and the new car in FP3. Same track. He didn't really give a straight answer so he's clearly not telling something.

I find it strange that after an upgrade package of this extent that, they would still forecast P9 and P10. There is definetely some fine tuning and analysis required here to extract the performance because I don't feel that they achieved that this weekend considering the size of the upgrade package. I expected a 3-4 tenths boost. .

peewon

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 04:04
diffuser wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 03:15

Check this interview from Alonso. It's suspicious (start at 35 seconds):

Baretto asked him what he thought about the upgrades.
Alonso says "It is difficult to compare from track to track but I guess we have a lot of data now after the whole weekend. We will analyze everything".
Why does he say it's difficult to compare from track to track when he drove the old car in FP1 and the new car in FP3. Same track. He didn't really give a straight answer so he's clearly not telling something.

I find it strange that after an upgrade package of this extent that, they would still forecast P9 and P10. There is definetely some fine tuning and analysis required here to extract the performance because I don't feel that they achieved that this weekend considering the size of the upgrade package. I expected a 3-4 tenths boost. .
No they themselves said about 2 tenths. They might have learnt from last year to keep the expectations grounded a bit. Also, they're a distant 4th on pace and close to 5th still. So without knowing Mercedes deg issues, P9/10 is a reasonable prediction

Skywalker12
Skywalker12

Compared with 2023 Japanese GP, AM have improved 1.7s in quali, the most of any team. I think that is a good result for development done over the winter.

Alonso_fin
Alonso_fin

Skywalker12 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 11:04
Compared with 2023 Japanese GP, AM have improved 1.7s in quali, the most of any team. I think that is a good result for development done over the winter.
Most tend to forget that last years Japanese GP was in late September, considering that and the unsuccesful upgrades of last season the jump over the winter in performance is huge.

I feel like the team didn't have enough time to dial in the new upgrades, because they only had a session and a half to gather data, the track was much colder and Stroll clearly didn't have a great time dialing in the new parts.

The upgrades still had a positive impact on tyre degredation - let's hope that they can find a tenth atleast with the gathered data for the Chinese GP!
Last edited by Alonso_fin on 08 Apr 2024, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Watching F1 since 2004.