2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

that is clearly just sloppy writing. Stella has confirmed it was a PU side pneumatic leak

djos

geogate wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 06:08
that is clearly just sloppy writing. Stella has confirmed it was a PU side pneumatic leak
You could be correct, I’ve seen both “reported“.
"In downforce we trust"

trinidefender
trinidefender

djos wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 06:29
geogate wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 06:08
You could be correct, I’ve seen both “reported“.
During the race it looked like air that was being put into the car not hydraulic fluid judging by the equipment used.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

_cerber1 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 09:34
In my opinion, it is unacceptable when a team like McLaren, with their history, experience and capabilities, disrupts pre-season testing for the second year in a row, but even worse, they did not even predict these problems. As a result, they couldn't run the simulation race and identify the reliability issues we had during the Grand Prix. I can understand when there are any problems on the tests, but they should be resolved within an hour, a maximum of half a day, and not disrupt all sessions. Obviously, the technical staff should reconsider their approach to work.
McLaren is still in a period of transition from the Ron Dennis Era to whatever this Era ends up being (return to winning ways or stuck in the midfield). So far Brown has done an ok job. Once they get to year 5 of the project, then that's the time to judge Brown.

The thing about testing is it won't necessarily show up all of a cars reliability issues, as the teams won't be pushing the cars to the absolute limit. Sometimes you only discover a reliability issue in the first couple of races in a season when you start to push the car to it's limits to find the optimal performance window.

They messed up in the design phase, but if the planned changes in concept/design work then they will be in far better shape than Mercedes are at the moment, probably. Looking at Lando's race pace (with caveats), it didn't look too bad.

Slahinki
Slahinki

MTudor
MTudor

The boys look happy so that means that the upgrades are good.

MTudor
MTudor

I hope that the Baku concept will mean that they worked on the suspensions as well,because that was one the advanteges RBR had last year and Aston has as well,giving that Fallows came from RBR and he probably worked on last year's RBR,in '21.

Lucky
Lucky

McLaren? He used to work at McLaren.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Lucky wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 12:42

McLaren? He used to work at McLaren.
Apparently he was part of the team that developed the F-Duct for the MP4-25. Seems to me like he could be quite an asset to McLaren if these rumors turn out to be true.

Lucky
Lucky

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McLaren may have simplified their management matrix, but aren’t they light on the technical management side? Do they have an Engineering Director, has Stella being replaced as Performance Director? I don’t know if they just have supervisors for the technical offices, with Key overseeing everything? I’m all for making things simple and straight forward but if you look at Red Bull, they’ve got Marshall, Monaghan, Waterhouse, Wache and of course Newey. Senior engineers with Newey as CTO. Just wondering if McLaren are doing things the right way.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 16:12
McLaren may have simplified their management matrix, but aren’t they light on the technical management side? Do they have an Engineering Director, has Stella being replaced as Performance Director? I don’t know if they just have supervisors for the technical offices, with Key overseeing everything? I’m all for making things simple and straight forward but if you look at Red Bull, they’ve got Marshall, Monaghan, Waterhouse, Wache and of course Newey. Senior engineers with Newey as CTO. Just wondering if McLaren are doing things the right way.
McLaren have identified their error. Its the way the floor generates downforce, because of the rule change. They realised this a little too late, but begun work to correct months ago. They also recognised some time ago that they needed to strengthen the technical team as they cut back to far at the start of the budget cap era. It is entirely possible the 2 are connected

Sad, but so soon after the new formula, it can be excused. Even so, a double points finish could still have been on the cards at the first race of this year. So lets wait to see how they get on come Baku & Miami, before we all start to think we know more about running an F1 team, than an F1 team its self

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
Was it the number of management people that changed or just the way they reported up and took accountability, I thought it was the latter which resulted in a situation where multiple managers across stream could be responsible for the same things as several others, so more accountability = no accountability.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 16:58
Ground Effect wrote:
McLaren have identified their error. Its the way the floor generates downforce, because of the rule change. They realised this a little too late, but begun work to correct months ago. They also recognised some time ago that they needed to strengthen the technical team as they cut back to far at the start of the budget cap era. It is entirely possible the 2 are connected

Sad, but so soon after the new formula, it can be excused. Even so, a double points finish could still have been on the cards at the first race of this year. So lets wait to see how they get on come Baku & Miami, before we all start to think we know more about running an F1 team, than an F1 team its self
I would love to see, if even just at the highest level, how teams have apportioned their spending between Staff, CFD, Tunnel Time, Manufacturing, Catering (!) etc It is a shame that at least this information is not released by the FIA.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

Head of aerodynamics David Sanchez has resigned, destination McLaren.
The successor is still unknown but it is believed to be an internal resource.
David Sanchez will now have to complete a period of gardening before returning to work in England.
it is confirmed by italian media

Last edited by organic on 09 Mar 2023, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.