McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

seems mclaren have been led round the nose, send out on a wild goose chase .... etc. Because it definitly interesting to see how many of the concepts from the launch car reapear. Take the new bodywork/sidepod layout reminiscent of the launch version, and now the 3 element bargeboard returning, same type as most is running although not with 3elements. It seems mclarens starting point(aero concept) wasnt that far of, but something on the mechanical side really --- things up and blured the results, at the time i did find it amazing that a team that had reasonable good corelation suddenly went so wrong, i mean they did, but looking at the updates it was not the aero concept that was of, i stick to my initial thought, they should never have introduced this front suspension

Javert

f1rules wrote:seems mclaren have been led round the nose, send out on a wild goose chase .... etc. Because it definitly interesting to see how many of the concepts from the launch car reapear. Take the new bodywork/sidepod layout reminiscent of the launch version, and now the 3 element bargeboard returning, same type as most is running although not with 3elements. It seems mclarens starting point(aero concept) wasnt that far of, but something on the mechanical side really --- things up and blured the results, at the time i did find it amazing that a team that had reasonable good corelation suddenly went so wrong, i mean they did, but looking at the updates it was not the aero concept that was of, i stick to my initial thought, they should never have introduced this front suspension
Or maybe the tires f u cked them massively ...
Maybe MP4-28 world champ contender with last year tires :mrgreen:

adrianjordan

wesley123 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:I can't help but wonder whether they are hoping that their original design for the rear airflow will work now with the new tyres...
It's not the original design, it is the updated one with the bump removed
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I was referring purely to the floor around the rear tyres.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

marcush.
marcush.

the shape of the tyre has changed ? so that was where all the trouble started .some teams are more affected than others .

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

marcush. wrote:the shape of the tyre has changed ? so that was where all the trouble started .some teams are more affected than others .
Some have been complaining that the wind tunnel tyres provided by Pirelli didn't deform as accurately as the year before. But they would say that.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

f1rules
f1rules

highres vers of the front pillars covered in flow vis
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 925.44.jpg

trinidefender
trinidefender

Small detail that nobody else seemed to notic, or at least comment about. The slot in the rear ing end plates about half way down was removed for the latter half of the young driver test and accompanying that the back of the end plates are flat instead of pushed outward. Also the slots at the top of the end plate have changed shape ever so slightly

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

f1rules wrote:seems mclaren have been led round the nose, send out on a wild goose chase .... etc. Because it definitly interesting to see how many of the concepts from the launch car reapear. Take the new bodywork/sidepod layout reminiscent of the launch version, and now the 3 element bargeboard returning, same type as most is running although not with 3elements. It seems mclarens starting point(aero concept) wasnt that far of, but something on the mechanical side really --- things up and blured the results, at the time i did find it amazing that a team that had reasonable good corelation suddenly went so wrong, i mean they did, but looking at the updates it was not the aero concept that was of, i stick to my initial thought, they should never have introduced this front suspension
Can anyone confirm the likeness of the car at the drivers test and the car at the start of the season? Also does the mclaren look better on these harder compounds?

A few have harboured suspicion that the tyre might have caused the problem with Mclaren, I too have been a recent convert to such a theory in light of a few other things issues.

Peter Piper

trinidefender wrote:Small detail that nobody else seemed to notic, or at least comment about. The slot in the rear ing end plates about half way down was removed for the latter half of the young driver test and accompanying that the back of the end plates are flat instead of pushed outward. Also the slots at the top of the end plate have changed shape ever so slightly
Well, I guess with the new tyre sidewalls not deforming as much as the original 2013 specs they should have less issues with tyre squirt. So hopefully the less need for bleeding the airflow is a promising sign!

Coefficient
Coefficient

Peter Piper wrote:
trinidefender wrote:Small detail that nobody else seemed to notic, or at least comment about. The slot in the rear ing end plates about half way down was removed for the latter half of the young driver test and accompanying that the back of the end plates are flat instead of pushed outward. Also the slots at the top of the end plate have changed shape ever so slightly
Well, I guess with the new tyre sidewalls not deforming as much as the original 2013 specs they should have less issues with tyre squirt. So hopefully the less need for bleeding the airflow is a promising sign!
Is it not possible that having called time on the development of the 28 McLaren have put old bits on in case the youngsters crash? Thereby saving the latest parts for races without risking damage to them and having to make more.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

trinidefender
trinidefender

Coefficient wrote:
Peter Piper wrote:
Is it not possible that having called time on the development of the 28 McLaren have put old bits on in case the youngsters crash? Thereby saving the latest parts for races without risking damage to them and having to make more.
Considering that McLaren has one of the highest budgets of any team, unlikely. Also remember that almost all the parts used for young drivers test that were added on have been newly designed parts. Thirdly remember that these "youngsters" aren't exactly amateurs, most are drivers from other fairly high profile and big budget racing series such as GP2 etc.

Jackles-UK

f1rules wrote:highres vers of the front pillars covered in flow vis
Also noticed that the tri-split turning vanes below the bulkhead seem to have re-appeared having opted for the simpler flat ones for the majority of the season.

Holm86

Jackles-UK wrote:
f1rules wrote:highres vers of the front pillars covered in flow vis
Also noticed that the tri-split turning vanes below the bulkhead seem to have re-appeared having opted for the simpler flat ones for the majority of the season.
This has already been mentioned.

smr
smr

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ ... stone.html

Have a read of this article about Mclaren after the YDT. Mclaren have made quite a few changes to cater for the 2012 construction tyres and reverted the car back to a similar state as that of launch.

They misunderstood how the 2013 construction would affect the car's aero, much to the detriment of the team's performance so far this season. Hopefully with going back to a known quantity of tyre (which they firmly got on top of last year let's not forget) and the revised / reverted parts we should see an improvement in performance and thus competitiveness. We'll see this weekend anyhow! :)

Racer X

smr wrote:http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ ... stone.html

Have a read of this article about Mclaren after the YDT. Mclaren have made quite a few changes to cater for the 2012 construction tyres and reverted the car back to a similar state as that of launch.

They misunderstood how the 2013 construction would affect the car's aero, much to the detriment of the team's performance so far this season. Hopefully with going back to a known quantity of tyre (which they firmly got on top of last year let's not forget) and the revised / reverted parts we should see an improvement in performance and thus competitiveness. We'll see this weekend anyhow! :)

Im happy for this weekend lets see how it goes 2012 tire construction was good to McLaren so theirs hope but all the other teams also has a good understanding of the 2012 tires and have good cars now so we might still see a bit of a gap between McLaren and other top teams. So who knows they might get faster but so could everyone else by roughly the same margin.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ