McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Anyone have any guesses as to whether a pull rod front suspension would have any advantages over pushrod next year given the mandated lower noses?
Saishū kōnā

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

godlameroso wrote:Anyone have any guesses as to whether a pull rod front suspension would have any advantages over pushrod next year given the mandated lower noses?
Hmmm...

Doesn't the push rod need a higher mounting in the nose, which provides better airflow to the back of the car but compromises tyre wear a bit?

I can't figure out if having a lower nose would be a good or a bad thing.

FrukostScones

Front pull-rod was the biggest mistake in history for McLaren. And it won't pay off next year. But they won#t ditch it in 2014, because they would admit failure.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

sucof

I do not think we are in the position to say the pull rod was a failure. We are just couch guessing....
Also, it is a great investment in to the future as next year noses will be lower, so pull rod will be the choice for most of the teams if not for all.
Also i fail to see where pull rod would be worse than push rod, Scarbs did an article about that in fact if you analyze the geometry, pull rod might be even more efficient than push.

stefan_
stefan_

Hungary 2013 - Thursday (25.07.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Thunder

Are the Fins longer than before?

Also :

I wonder if they will try the new Nose from the YDT.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

stefan_
stefan_

Hungary 2013 - Thursday (25.07.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Apparently they have made decent progress for this race.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

trinidefender
trinidefender

Thunders wrote:Are the Fins longer than before?

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 705801.jpg

Also :

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 705802.jpg

I wonder if they will try the new Nose from the YDT.
Hmmm is it me or are the end plates slightly different in each image? The slot in the the lower end plate looks bigger than the slot in the upper.

Secondly it seems they are using the rear wing with the vertical slots in the end plates

Holm86

The endplates looks exactly the same to me. I guess the reflections on the lower one are fooling you.

But so far it looks like no parts from the YDT is on. Cant see the sidepods properly.

But I guess they have brought the parts to test them I practice.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Holm86 wrote:The endplates looks exactly the same to me. I guess the reflections on the lower one are fooling you.

But so far it looks like no parts from the YDT is on. Cant see the sidepods properly.

But I guess they have brought the parts to test them I practice.
The new forward parts of the side pods with 3 vortex generators on it instead of 2 is being used and we can't see if the rear section of the sidpod is used without the hump is being used. Also the multi element turning
Vanes will probably be used, you can just see them in one of the pics....so all in all I would say a decent few parts are being used

JDC123
JDC123

I know this is off topic but at the start of the season when mclaren were considering using the mclaren mp4-27, my question is would it have been possible (i dont mean financially/ resourcefully) to use the mp4-27 at the start of the season, whilst developing the mp4-28 until it was up to pace and introduce it say half way through the season. Are teams allowed to use two different cars in one season any more? Also when was the last time a team brought a NEW car part way through the season? thanks.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Owen.C93 wrote:Apparently they have made decent progress for this race.
Where are you getting this info from? And how do we know that it isn't because the tyres are reverting to something more similar to last year?

adrianjordan

JimClarkFan wrote:And how do we know that it isn't because the tyres are reverting to something more similar to last year?
Does it matter if it is because of that?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thunder

Hungary, Friday. FP1

Edit: What i see on TV they are running the new Nose from YDT in FP2.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum