Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

I have to go look it up but it's something along the lines of having to stay in 1st gear for a certain length/speed. The teams were able to alter ignition timing between shifts for a sort of traction control. It eliminates shifting early.
Honda!

raymondu999

Until 100kph
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

yener

Its the old car they have testing. The complete aero packet is the 2011 W02's.

Even the exhaust are still blowing the diffuser. Maybe they have someting under the Aero Packet we can't see, but i dont think so.

In my opinion you should be stupid or hiding something if you dont use periscope exhaust in the first test.
And offcourse, they will test the new car later. But didn't the teams get a young driver test? And didn't they had periscope exhaust on the WO2?
They did! Why shouldnt they now?

One Simple Reason...
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

raymondu999

So the comparison data would be more comparable, relative to their old data?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

yener wrote:Its the old car they have testing. The complete aero packet is the 2011 W02's.

Even the exhaust are still blowing the diffuser. Maybe they have someting under the Aero Packet we can't see, but i dont think so.

In my opinion you should be stupid or hiding something if you dont use periscope exhaust in the first test.
And offcourse, they will test the new car later. But didn't the teams get a young driver test? And didn't they had periscope exhaust on the WO2?
They did! Why shouldnt they now?

One Simple Reason...
and that would be the 2012 tyres.

elf341
elf341

siskue2005 wrote:
dren wrote:They are probably testing the new starts using only first gear. The team was really good at starts last year. The new regulations may hurt them a bit in this area.
What is the specific new rule, which would hurt their starts this year?
If I recall correctly, under the new rules they must stay in first gear until they reach 100kph.
There were some rumours going around that some teams were able to implement automated traction-control-style launch systems under the guise of an anti-stall system, and the first gear rule should eliminate this loophole.

Gridlock

Someones, Scarbs I think, mentioned in passing that this (the 100KPH combined with the updates to the shifting rules) is actually Technical Directives from last year put into the main regs, rather than a new rule.

Secret TDs that we don't know about = ah, must be Bernie's Flying Circus #-o

retpog55
retpog55

Loving the pics guys...keep em coming tommorow. O:)

adrianjordan

Sorry this is as OT as they come, but Gridlock...is your avatar a screengrab from Sherlock?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

retpog55
retpog55

Schumy currently tops the times on day two - 1m18.561s, 6 tenths quicker than anybody else.

Autosport state that no obvious new parts etc on the W02.

pocketmoon

retpog55 wrote:Schumy currently tops the times on day two - 1m18.561s, 6 tenths quicker than anybody else.

But still enjoying the benefits of an EBD ?

Gridlock

adrianjordan wrote:Sorry this is as OT as they come, but Gridlock...is your avatar a screengrab from Sherlock?
No it's a screengrab of reality from my drive last week ;)

Raptor22
Raptor22

pocketmoon wrote:
retpog55 wrote:Schumy currently tops the times on day two - 1m18.561s, 6 tenths quicker than anybody else.

But still enjoying the benefits of an EBD ?

it wasn't the most effective EB around.
Better comparision would be his times this year compared to last year's Jerez test session.
Howmuch time did they find over the season vs others and how much has the others lost

xpensive
xpensive

It's all in the mercury, which is not obvious from the outside, I just hope and pray it won't be banned?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

munudeges
munudeges

xpensive wrote:It's all in the mercury, which is not obvious from the outside, I just hope and pray it won't be banned?
It all seems to be in the front wing now. Apparently Merc have a new front wing and the sole purpose for not bringing the new car to the test and squandering valuable mileage is so that other teams don't get to see it.