2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Yes that would be a good move for Honda. Direct competition for Mclaren. Has this ever been done before though? Two rival teams with the same power unit, and the engine manufacturer is not a works engine for either team?

For Sure!!

Wazari

ringo wrote:Yes that would be a good move for Honda. Direct competition for Mclaren. Has this ever been done before though? Two rival teams with the same power unit, and the engine manufacturer is not a works engine for either team?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 1050da.jpg
I loved that car. Honda did supply engines to two teams in the same season but they were not the same specs. In '87 we supplied both Lotus and Williams with engines, however the Lotus ran a re-tuned version of the '86 engine while Williams was supplied with an '87 spec engine. I believe Lotus was able to win two races that year with the "old" engine.
Last edited by Wazari on 27 Dec 2016, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

diffuser

Sonador wrote:Í think Honda is on the right way to become succesfull again, they seem very committed, real and humble.
Really like Honda efforts, i think they wil be much better next year.
Mclaren on the other hand i am not so sure.
diffuser wrote: I think that is normal, the PU rules are stable while the Chassis have changed. Many have said that whoever exploits the NEW chassis rules the best will be ahead and everyone else will be catching up.
The chassis development realy dissapointed me, it is not the same Mclaren i know and love from a decade ago.
They used to be very good at chassis development, especially towards the end o the year.
I wonder what is wrong.
diffuser wrote: Again here I hope they moved their attention to 2017 year's car.
Also i do not understand why Boullier is still there.
Sack him, and keep Capito!

Or put a guy in that can motivate people, bring passion and fire back in a team.

Its killing me slowly to see the decline of Mclaren.
And they are taking one of the great drivers of altime with them .....
diffuser wrote: Obviously they felt that Capito couldn't be trusted.

Not sure how you would know that EB isn't motivating people.

Really McLaren hit rock bottom when Merc left and some of the Paddy Lowe's went along with it(end of 2013).
EB, PP, Tim Goss, Matt Morris and the the likes are part of that rebuilding.

PlatinumZealot

@ ringo

McLaren and williams in 2014.
Williams fared much better.

Don't think they will ever switch to honda because right now Claire is so much in bed with Toto that even Suzie is suspicious.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:@ ringo

Don't think they will ever switch to honda because right now Claire is so much in bed with Toto that even Suzie is suspicious.
ROFL

Force India would be better than Williams if McLaren would let it happen.

Wazari

PlatinumZealot wrote:@ ringo

Mercedes had their own team in 2014 and the 106A also powered Force India.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

2012-2013 Redbull Renault Lotus Renault although Redbull was the worx team at that time.

erikejw
erikejw

Wazari wrote:F1 like many other things boils down to people and money, but more importantly people. I am optimistic about next year from HRD's side because "the feel" is right at Sakura. Not only do you have to have good engineers but you need a core of engineers that have a racer's mindset and now I believe that is in place at HRD. Nakamura-san really wants to win and produce a top-tier PU. The knowledge gained over the past two seasons have been priceless and the rate of improvement has been in geometric increments. Not only are the weaknesses known but several solutions for each area have been designed and are being tested, not just one. Finding failures and blowing up things at this point is a good thing and I love engine destruction on a dyno, haha.....

If I'm being totally honest I am concerned about all the recent changes at McLaren. Changes in leadership can be a good thing but always come with an adjustment period which in this case I hope is minimal. The sponsorship or funding at current doesn't worry me about McLaren but about the direction this new regime will take. I've been told that the mood at Woking is good and the personnel seem upbeat and optimistic about next season. I know much work has been completed for next year's chassis.

I hope EB chooses his words wisely as his latest comments do nothing except make most of us at HRD wish we were supplying at least one more team. Happy New Year everyone!
Interesting insights :)
If I was at Honda I would question the McLaren affiliation. They havet whined about the engine for long now but havet taken none whatsoever responsibility for their chassis. Everything bad is engine related.

If McHonda will start sin races I wonder how much cred McLaren will give Honda or will we just here how great the chassis is?

Most likely so !!!
Think about that

RedNEO

erikejw wrote:
Wazari wrote:F1 like many other things boils down to people and money, but more importantly people. I am optimistic about next year from HRD's side because "the feel" is right at Sakura. Not only do you have to have good engineers but you need a core of engineers that have a racer's mindset and now I believe that is in place at HRD. Nakamura-san really wants to win and produce a top-tier PU. The knowledge gained over the past two seasons have been priceless and the rate of improvement has been in geometric increments. Not only are the weaknesses known but several solutions for each area have been designed and are being tested, not just one. Finding failures and blowing up things at this point is a good thing and I love engine destruction on a dyno, haha.....

If I'm being totally honest I am concerned about all the recent changes at McLaren. Changes in leadership can be a good thing but always come with an adjustment period which in this case I hope is minimal. The sponsorship or funding at current doesn't worry me about McLaren but about the direction this new regime will take. I've been told that the mood at Woking is good and the personnel seem upbeat and optimistic about next season. I know much work has been completed for next year's chassis.

I hope EB chooses his words wisely as his latest comments do nothing except make most of us at HRD wish we were supplying at least one more team. Happy New Year everyone!
Interesting insights :)
If I was at Honda I would question the McLaren affiliation. They havet whined about the engine for long now but havet taken none whatsoever responsibility for their chassis. Everything bad is engine related.

If McHonda will start sin races I wonder how much cred McLaren will give Honda or will we just here how great the chassis is?

Most likely so !!!
Think about that
I expect to here an apology from you to McLaren then.

Andres125sx

erikejw wrote: They havet whined about the engine for long now but havet taken none whatsoever responsibility for their chassis.
Looks like you only read the statements wich support your prejudices #-o

I´ve read several people from McLaren recognizing their chasis is far from the best, you too, but I get the feeling when people like you read someone from McLaren saying they enjoy 3rd best chasis that´s a praise, when IMHO that´s a critic to their own chasis.

Or you think McLaren is happy with 3rd best anything? #-o

diffuser

2 months before the start of testing!

We'll not be seeing anyone run last years chassis this year.

Honda will also have their new spec? Not final but new?

mclaren111

"Wazari wrote:
I've been told that the mood at Woking is good and the personnel seem upbeat and optimistic about next season. I know much work has been completed for next year's chassis.
Good positive news & very glad to hear.

With 2017 starting so late, Zak Brown now has enough time for some good team building.

Also, thank you Wazari for all the news.
Last edited by mclaren111 on 27 Dec 2016, 14:22, edited 2 times in total.

mrluke
mrluke

Thanks for the insights as ever wazari :)

The progress made by Honda over the last two seasons has been readily apparent and the fact they are now on an even footing with Renault is testament to the hardwork and no doubt long hours undertaken by Honda.

At the moment the Mclaren / Honda relationship comes across as Mclaren being the angry drunk that goes home and takes it out on his dog.

I'm not sure the "3rd best chassis" is an accurate appraisal of Mclaren's 2016 season. There were definitely moments where it was but there were a lot of occasions where Mclaren were much further down. Saying their chassis is definitely better than force India, Str and Ferrari is a big statement.

Here's genuinely hoping 2017 isn't another "transition" year

GoranF1
GoranF1

mrluke wrote:Thanks for the insights as ever wazari :)

The progress made by Honda over the last two seasons has been readily apparent and the fact they are now on an even footing with Renault is testament to the hardwork and no doubt long hours undertaken by Honda.

At the moment the Mclaren / Honda relationship comes across as Mclaren being the angry drunk that goes home and takes it out on his dog.

I'm not sure the "3rd best chassis" is an accurate appraisal of Mclaren's 2016 season. There were definitely moments where it was but there were a lot of occasions where Mclaren were much further down. Saying their chassis is definitely better than force India, Str and Ferrari is a big statement.

Here's genuinely hoping 2017 isn't another "transition" year
I didnt see in Abu Dhabi that Honda is on pair whit Renault? What good comes out of the fact that Honda has same or more peak power if overall, on track the Honda is a weaker PU than Renault?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Lucky
Lucky

mrluke wrote: The progress made by Honda over the last two seasons has been readily apparent and the fact they are now on an even footing with Renault is testament to the hardwork and no doubt long hours undertaken by Honda.