Alpine A522

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
paulo_f1
paulo_f1

Re: Alpine A522

stan_french wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:37
Bisonas wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:33
Blackout wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:07
Interesting to see if they keep the somehow oversized bodywork at the back for both tests or maybe try a slimmer version, to test different airflow scenarios, since it seems they definitely have the space to do it.
my guess is theyre gonna look into doing a redbull style packaging if that works. Just pull the radiators at a slightly more shallow angle so they can pull the same "no sidepod" trick.
What no sidepod trick? The huge undercut at the front of the Red Bull is an aero philosophy that starts with the front of the car and works through to the back, the undercut is gone by then and there is actually considerable blockage mid sidepod. It's likely they are turning air outwards and attempting to seal the venturi underfloor with this layout.

The assumption here is that Alpine haven't tried tighter sidepods, or bigger undercuts. Like Ferrari's bigger than expected sidepod, it's highly likely that 18-24 months of aero work has led to this philosophy. Making the underbody and ground effect work is far more important than the overall shape of the upper body of the car.

The team know the heat rejection figures for the engines, and starting in a cold weather test with loads of extra cooling is unlikely. They may have missed something that is on another car and start trying it now in CFD etc, but this is a long lead time process to get it on the car. Just bolting someone else's sidepod shape on your car is likely to make it slower without understanding the flow and making it work across the whole car.

AeroDynamic

Packaging internals of the Alpine A522 power unit
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 24 Feb 2022, 11:32, edited 2 times in total.

RedNEO

Kamel
Kamel

While Fernando is rolling almost 100 laps, I am interested in bottom's shape. Also it's not entirely clear how the new A522 transmission is arranged which can be reconfigured based on different aerodynamic developments

RedNEO

JPower
JPower

Wonder why they ditched the huge inlet deflector thing(is there a proper name for it yet?) from the renders?

RedNEO

Floor strakes. Yeah that could be a baseline version or not it’s hard to know

Kamel
Kamel

Thanks for great images. The car looks compact, sophisticated. Perhaps it is suitable for slow turns imo

Blackout

Yeah this thing looks more and more to me like a water-air intercooler (turquoise). It seems to be linked to 1 of the rear centerline rads (pink) via a hose (yellow). So that rad might be the one that cools the intercooler water.
A neat packaging solution that minimises losses.

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 17:44
Yeah this thing looks more and more to me like a water-air intercooler (turquoise). It seems to be linked to 1 of the rear centerline rads (pink) via a hose (yellow). So that rad might be the one that cools the intercooler water.
https://i.imgur.com/TZFa8Yk.png
I was lookingat that. isn't strange to have the rad sitting right above the exhaustlike that? When the car comes in for a pit stop and air stop flowing through the hoop, woun't the heat rise quickly off the exhaust there ?

godlameroso

RedNEO wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 17:27
https://i.imgur.com/rW7cfT4.png
Very basic, this is clearly the first iteration, there's no curve or 3d shapes, you're allowed a fair bit of freedom in designing those strakes.
Saishū kōnā

Blackout

diffuser wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:18
Blackout wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 17:44
https://i.imgur.com/TZFa8Yk.png
I was lookingat that. isn't strange to have the rad sitting right above the exhaustlike that? When the car comes in for a pit stop and air stop flowing through the hoop, woun't the heat rise quickly off the exhaust there ?
I don think so. This is a proven layout (rad just above the exhaust pipe) used by the Mercedes teams since many seasons. And the exhaust pipes are very well shielded (as well as the rad) All the heat goes to the turbine :)

Kamel
Kamel

What do you think, can the A522 gills auto-open as its implemented in RB. Even if there's no need to use them with that cooling system

diffuser

The equivelent of a diffuser blank page ? I was expecting more strakes.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:56
The equivelent of a diffuser blank page ? I was expecting more strakes.
Diffuser strakes are banned.