2024 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
90feet

Re: 2024 Williams Racing F1 Team

JPower wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 21:04
DGP123 wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:20
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:13
Carlos said that not every guy can choose his team, and he chose Williams. Why not Merc? Is he stupid?
Merc didn’t want him, with KA waiting. Signing a cast off from Ferrari, is not a good look either. Many teams seemed to agree, hence why he’s now ended up at Williams. Think he just sees his days out in F1, like many before him, who have failed at big teams.
Most people thought he would be miles off Leclerc's place and was essentially a seat warmer for Mick Schumacher.
I might be misreading this, hopefully I am, but are you saying there are people who thought Carlos Sainz Jr at Ferrari would be a seat warmer for Mick Schumacher? As in Mick "not good enough for Haas, enjoy your WEC career" Schumacher would join Ferrari? As an actual race driver?

diffuser

90feet wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 21:22
JPower wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

Merc didn’t want him, with KA waiting. Signing a cast off from Ferrari, is not a good look either. Many teams seemed to agree, hence why he’s now ended up at Williams. Think he just sees his days out in F1, like many before him, who have failed at big teams.
Most people thought he would be miles off Leclerc's place and was essentially a seat warmer for Mick Schumacher.
I might be misreading this, hopefully I am, but are you saying there are people who thought Carlos Sainz Jr at Ferrari would be a seat warmer for Mick Schumacher? As in Mick "not good enough for Haas, enjoy your WEC career" Schumacher would join Ferrari? As an actual race driver?
Prior to Mick Schumacher's faithful year at Haas. Not after.

JPower
JPower

90feet wrote:
JPower wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

Absolutely.

People thought Mick was a shoe-in at Ferrari due to family ties, FDA sponsorship, and his championship win in F2.

Sainz was thought to be a cheap(er) stopgap that would give Leclerc backup for a couple of years. People on here and elsewhere were predicting quali gaps of 4-5 tenths and for Leclerc to have a 1.5x his points over a season before the season.

So yeah, I can’t say the past 3.5 years at Ferrari have been a failure. He overachieved given initial expectations. There are people who have posted in this thread today that have said Sainz was not good enough to drive for Ferrari.

90feet

JPower wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 22:46
90feet wrote:
JPower wrote:

Absolutely.

People thought Mick was a shoe-in at Ferrari due to family ties, FDA sponsorship, and his championship win in F2.

Sainz was thought to be a cheap(er) stopgap that would give Leclerc backup for a couple of years. People on here and elsewhere were predicting quali gaps of 4-5 tenths and for Leclerc to have a 1.5x his points over a season before the season.

So yeah, I can’t say the past 3.5 years at Ferrari have been a failure. He overachieved given initial expectations. There are people who have posted in this thread today that have said Sainz was not good enough to drive for Ferrari.
Just to be clear though, re: diffuser's post - you're referring to before Mick's time at Haas, correct?

JPower
JPower

90feet wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 23:11
JPower wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 22:46
90feet wrote:

Absolutely.

Just to be clear though, re: diffuser's post - you're referring to before Mick's time at Haas, correct?
Yes, not after.

90feet

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying my dudes. That makes way more sense.

Chuckjr

Outstanding signing for Williams. Looking forward to seeing Carlos and Albon head to head. I’m as excited to see that as I am Ham and Leclerc. I continue to be impressed with the work James V is doing at Williams. Fair of them to write a porous contract allowing Carlos to sign with a better team if the stars align. But he will have to pound Albon into submission all year if he is going to ever hope to drive for a top team again. If he can’t, I can see Carlos becoming a journeyman like Bottas or Hulk. Prolly not what Carlos wanted, but it’s not such a bad life being a journeyman F1 driver.
Watching F1 since 1986.

deadhead

Chuckjr wrote:
30 Jul 2024, 00:06
But he will have to pound Albon into submission all year if he is going to ever hope to drive for a top team again. If he can’t, I can see Carlos becoming a journeyman like Bottas or Hulk. Prolly not what Carlos wanted, but it’s not such a bad life being a journeyman F1 driver.
It's unlikely he could demonstrate that level of "dominance" over either Russell or Hülkenberg, making Albon the most plausible scenario for him to exhibit any superiority over a teammate.

diffuser

deadhead wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 01:51
Chuckjr wrote:
But he will have to pound Albon into submission all year if he is going to ever hope to drive for a top team again. If he can’t, I can see Carlos becoming a journeyman like Bottas or Hulk. Prolly not what Carlos wanted, but it’s not such a bad life being a journeyman F1 driver.
It's unlikely he could demonstrate that level of "dominance" over either Russell or Hülkenberg, making Albon the most plausible scenario for him to exhibit any superiority over a teammate.
Think he was hoping to go to AMR. There was a minute there where AMR were thinking of replacing Lance. Then Lance's form improved.

Jurgen von Diaz

diffuser wrote:
deadhead wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 01:51
Chuckjr wrote:
Think he was hoping to go to AMR. There was a minute there where AMR were thinking of replacing Lance. Then Lance's form improved.
I wouldn't be surprised if the entire team is thinking of replacing Lance every year until Lawrence steps into the meeting with a contract.

KimiRai
KimiRai

KimiRai wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 14:45
Auto motor und sport says Newey won't go to Williams

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... on-vowles/
Great article about Williams in general

Henk_v
Henk_v

franbatista123 wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:10
From a neutral's perspective, it will be interesting to see how Albon fares against Sainz. I've always been on the camp that Albon is a bit overrated and has been flattered by weak teammates, but now he will have a true benchmark
I think Albon might actually prove to be underrated once truly challenged. He has been driving inferior cars against farts as teammates in a team that is actually happy to finish 16th+ . How numb must he be? I really see flashes of brilliance, but how motivating is it to challenge for q3 knowing you'll fall outside the points anyway...

KimiRai
KimiRai

Albon's new floor was found to be outside the regulatory volume. Could mean disqualification

chrisc90

Also could be a thrown away upgrade if there are discrepancies between how it’s measured.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

That's gonna be costly.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.