[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
G-raph

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

variante wrote:
28 May 2024, 13:23
But there's still a lot of little adjustments to explore, so the championship is very much open.
There are a lot of small detailed changes on your car between race 01 and race 02. I don't like that, as it usually means you are hitting your strong development stride. :mrgreen:

Regardless, I still think you are the favourite for the last 3 races, and therefore the championship.

LVDH wrote:
30 May 2024, 16:52
What takes very long though is setting up the new renders. This is now by far is the main block that uses my time.
Thank you for the renders as always. They are super cool, but to be honest I would not be offended if you reverted to something like the 2022 pictures (assuming they were quicker to produce?) if that makes the process simpler for you. They were perfectly fit for purpose.

LVDH wrote:
29 May 2024, 17:51
Hi guys,
here are the cars:
FEST turning up with a Nose S-duct on race 02 as a rookie. LEGEND. =D>

Koldskaal

Round 2 - MONACO GRAND PRIX

Lights out at 15:00 local time
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

LVDH

yinlad wrote:
30 May 2024, 20:02
Maybe I'll take a look at automating something with blender for rendering. I suspect it's possible with enough time buried in the API documents!
I take every piece of help, I can get. The Blender workflow is already pretty automated. I have to manually attach the decals to the cars, which is something that takes a lot of time and so far, I have no good idea how to speed this up.

yinlad

:o... that is all I'll say for now
MVRC - Panthera

Ft5fTL

Congratz to the top 3. I dont know how my car got lower numbers from my runs, very disapointing.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

yinlad

Ft5fTL wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 15:31
Congratz to the top 3. I dont know how my car got lower numbers from my runs, very disapointing.
Exactly what I ran into for R01, it sucked! For this race I made sure to run a MVRC template simulation quote early once the main parts were established, to make sure it was going to correlate in a positive direction. It took a long time but I think was worth it, because actually my R02 car on the fast template was worse than my R01 car, but not the case on the finer mesh!
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

I'm very disappointed with the result, I didn't expect to be on the podium, but I can't explain the difference of 50 points in downforce (cl.a 5.5 instead of 6.0) compared to the full simulation calculated on my workstation.

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 16:57
I'm very disappointed with the result, I didn't expect to be on the podium, but I can't explain the difference of 50 points in downforce (cl.a 5.5 instead of 6.0) compared to the full simulation calculated on my workstation.
Did you run fast preset only locally? Seems to be a common theme if so. Points towards needing to run at least one run of the MVRC preset to get a full grasp of where development is trending.

Andre, how easy is it to run these cases on the CFD cluster now? I'd be interested to give it a try with the free allowance they provide when signing up. After that I'd be curious to know how many MVRC runs you could fit into that time and how much each would cost thereafter. Maybe I'll drop them an email to find out
MVRC - Panthera

variante

Congratulations to G-raph! Enjoy your last victory :twisted:
Massive gains from Panthera. Interesting to read how you achieved them by changing CFD development path.
On my side, I don't think I deserve a penalty, so I'm challenging that decision.
But the gap to G-raph is as expected: 0.2CLA and 0.2s in Monaco.

However, I think most of us expected quite different downforce numbers. Has any CFD setting been changed?
And how did Busor manage to gain 0.242CLA on the rear axle without changing anything at the back?

Details aside, a big thank to the MVRC staff, especially after achieving this fast turnaround.
As anticipated, the championship is very much open. I'll try to leverage my efficiency advantage in the upcoming races.

Ft5fTL

I was using the fast settings with base cell size at 0.7 since the start of the season. No more fast simulations that lasts aroud 2 hours i guess.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

yinlad

variante wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 19:45
However, I think most of us expected quite different downforce numbers.

My 'MVRC' run with the R02 car was very close to the official results, so it was more or less as I expected for me.

Whether the penalty for Variante is overturned or not, I am very happy to be on the podium and to only be 0.35cl away from the leader. I'm confident I can improve my efficiency for Silverstone but suspect I'll be looking to hang onto 3rd, rather than push on towards P2 and P1. Certainly I won't be expecting to find another 0.6cl between races, but I do have a pretty immature floor geometry from this race to continue exploring. I'm also determined to beat Variante to the smallest sidepod inlet this season :lol:
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 19:30
CAEdevice wrote:
Did you run fast preset only locally? Seems to be a common theme if so. Points towards needing to run at least one run of the MVRC preset to get a full grasp of where development is trending.
I never run fast template, I prefer to have the same official meshing parameters, so I use standard template for developement and long template before submitting the car.

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 21:52
yinlad wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 19:30
CAEdevice wrote:
I never run fast template, I prefer to have the same official meshing parameters, so I use standard template for developement and long template before submitting the car.
That is quite the shock then. Will be worth checking the list of parts once the official results arrive vs your entriy .zip to make sure they match.
MVRC - Panthera

G-raph

Nice video as always!

I'm sure you'll be quite irritated if I tell you that I am also a bit disappointed with the results... I really thought I'd easily go below -7.0 Cl. It will be interesting to see what went wrong when I get the official results.

In any case, of course I'm very happy with the win, and I know this will be my last one before Variante unleashes his superior efficiency and wins the championship.

Big congratulations to Panthera for that long awaited podium!

I'm curious to know what Variante's penalty is about...

yinlad

G-raph wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 00:07
Nice video as always!

I'm sure you'll be quite irritated if I tell you that I am also a bit disappointed with the results... I really thought I'd easily go below -7.0 Cl. It will be interesting to see what went wrong when I get the official results.

In any case, of course I'm very happy with the win, and I know this will be my last one before Variante unleashes his superior efficiency and wins the championship.

Big congratulations to Panthera for that long awaited podium!

I'm curious to know what Variante's penalty is about...
Thanks, it took a long time but it did arrive!

Looking at race 1 results he had a warning for rad thickness/planar extrusion. Not sure which as they are both covered in 6.1.1
6.1.1 Each heat exchanger is made up of a single planar shape extruded a distance of 60mm in a direction normal to its front face.
MVRC - Panthera