[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
IvailoStefanovBG

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Mercedes case is very simple. Actually this PU are so complex that after months of investigation FIA couldnt prove Ferrari use illegal engine. So they had the suspision made an agreement and the result is that Ferrari's engine is 100hp down. FIA, RBR Mercedes used simple thinking last year to initiate Ferrari PU check. If you have 100kg/s maximum fuel flow and thermal efficiency around 52-53% you can not produce the amounts of energy to achieve this lap times or straight speeds. So this year we have the same case with Mercedes. Yes - they are good, but simply they are not gods and can not change simple thermodynamics. Achieving this lap times means the have to rise thermal efficiency of the engine with 5% for just an year of development wich is simply impossible. Thats why FIA will save some time and resources and will introduce this TD. How Mercedes makes their trick is simply not important and discuss ing it is pointless. Even FIA with bunch of measurements and checks can not prove this or find the loopholes which are used. You can burn oil, coolant, introduce ozone, cool the air, acumulate some fuel inside engine, use illegal fuel additives or whatever - the effect of all this is seen in track and for me and obviously for FIA is out of rules.

etusch

Revs84 wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 10:11
Even Verstappen said that the car felt good and that it was great to drive around the track.

In fact, even though on a one lap pace they're still nowhere, on long run pace they are very competitive. I think they're the closest they have been this year. It's not clear how much of this is down to chassis improvements or track conditions though.

As always we don't know fuel loads and engine modes but interestingly, on the medium compound Red Bull were slightly faster than Mercedes. On the softs, slightly slower. Degradation levels are not yet clear - interesting to see if anyone will be pushed for a second stop.

Seeing that there's a delta of 0.7s between softs and medium, I'm curious to see on which tyre Red Bull will seek to qualify in Q2 seeing that the teams behind are very close on a one lap pace.
They choose the opposite what merc do, I think.

TNTHead

etusch wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 10:21
Revs84 wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 10:11
Even Verstappen said that the car felt good and that it was great to drive around the track.

In fact, even though on a one lap pace they're still nowhere, on long run pace they are very competitive. I think they're the closest they have been this year. It's not clear how much of this is down to chassis improvements or track conditions though.

As always we don't know fuel loads and engine modes but interestingly, on the medium compound Red Bull were slightly faster than Mercedes. On the softs, slightly slower. Degradation levels are not yet clear - interesting to see if anyone will be pushed for a second stop.

Seeing that there's a delta of 0.7s between softs and medium, I'm curious to see on which tyre Red Bull will seek to qualify in Q2 seeing that the teams behind are very close on a one lap pace.
They choose the opposite what merc do, I think.
And on AMuS they suggested that the Honda engine was tuned down even more than on usual fridays so very curious to see. When the gap VER-ALB is (much) smaller this weekend it would definitely show that the balance issues are a lot less. ALB is probably mainly because of that struggling. Then confidence rises and he/they can push even more.

holeindalip
holeindalip

All I can say even with all the oil burn restrictions and all the td’s and whatever else restrictions they have put in the pu’s Mercedes has still been at the top, seems more and more likely that everything they are doing is legal, as they aren’t worried about any restriction the fia imposes. We can take this to the merc pu unit thread because this isn’t the place to accuse them of cheating or talking about the merc pu....

Juzh

Verstappen's q3 lap 1:16.292 (have to open in youtube)
P3

ME4ME

Nicely driven lap by Max. Clean yet using all the road.

ispano6

Looks like Max will have a pretty good chance at overcutting Hamilton if their long run pace pans out like practice did. Max was setting faster and faster times toward the end of his runs.

As long as the feel is there Max can use his confidence to chip away the deficit. He should wait for the front two to duke it out and let them race each other first. Get Alex into the mix and we might have some nice team work. Horner always says timing a tow is difficult but I hope at some tracks they leverage it in quali since it seems the two Mercedes are more or less battling each other and wouldn't do the same.

godlameroso

Mercedes Q3 advantage is .6 over their race pace. So as it stands Merc is .1 or .2 faster in race trim, and it will rest on who can make the tires last the best.

Overcut or undercut?
Saishū kōnā

Big Tea

ispano6 wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 18:04
https://cdn-image.as-web.jp/2020/08/150 ... e04a11.jpg

Looks like Max will have a pretty good chance at overcutting Hamilton if their long run pace pans out like practice did. Max was setting faster and faster times toward the end of his runs.

As long as the feel is there Max can use his confidence to chip away the deficit. He should wait for the front two to duke it out and let them race each other first. Get Alex into the mix and we might have some nice team work. Horner always says timing a tow is difficult but I hope at some tracks they leverage it in quali since it seems the two Mercedes are more or less battling each other and wouldn't do the same.
Is he demonstrating how a body part is going to behave tomorrow.?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

Do you remember when I said Red Bull would be within .2 of Mercedes based on testing? Everyone thought I was nuts, that I was wrong, that I should be disrespected for my views, etc. But the data says I was right. Verstappen is within .2 in race pace.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 20:57
Do you remember when I said Red Bull would be within .2 of Mercedes based on testing? Everyone thought I was nuts, that I was wrong, that I should be disrespected for my views, etc. But the data says I was right. Verstappen is within .2 in race pace.
They’re within 2 tenths when the track temperatures are 50 C.

They weren’t within 2 tenths at Silverstone 1, with mild ambient/track temperatures.

And that means RB have done a great job with their car in these conditions. But you can’t take a gap from 1 event and extrapolate that as the gap. You’ve got to average all the data from all of the conditions/races.

Sieper

Mercedes is now setting up the car more for tire longevity I think, or at least their engineer talks made such statements. It has been proven they need that and not only when it is 50 degrees track temp imho. But that indeed remains to be seen as last weeks it was H.O.T. That costs pace. I think in the race RBR is genuinely closer since they said they found the major issue.now, will they be able to keep challenging. Let’s see. Tomorrow Merc will want to win by a margin. I even expect them to turn up the wick.

holeindalip
holeindalip

Sieper wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 23:00
Mercedes is now setting up the car more for tire longevity I think, or at least their engineer talks made such statements. It has been proven they need that and not only when it is 50 degrees track temp imho. But that indeed remains to be seen as last weeks it was H.O.T. That costs pace. I think in the race RBR is genuinely closer since they said they found the major issue.now, will they be able to keep challenging. Let’s see. Tomorrow Merc will want to win by a margin. I even expect them to turn up the wick.
Rumor has it merc didn’t even use the highest strat mode in qualifying, probably testing for the ban coming next week, power units will probably be ran harder in the race. Barring tire issues I doubt max will be anywhere near the mercs....

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:25
etusch wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:52
If Mercedes (or anyone else) uses something to burn together eith gasoline, fia must ban this. After that it is noy problem Q mode.
But if someone uses additional fuel they can use.with another mode too.
This is the problem. Instead of going for the sickness they are going for the symptoms.
I don't know if this was said but the reason for the simplification of the maps was that it was getting to complicated to enforce the regs that all the teams that had the same PU were getting all the same software. The verification of the maps was taking too long.

langedweil

holeindalip wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 03:11
Rumor has it merc didn’t even use the highest strat mode in qualifying, probably testing for the ban coming next week, power units will probably be ran harder in the race. Barring tire issues I doubt max will be anywhere near the mercs....
But that's totally ok, it just makes the PU's more prone to failures (God, I miss the mega-white-puff-blows).
Fix the mappings via Parc Ferme, and let the driver decide what to use when. And to spice it up, deny the pitwall to intervene with information.
HuggaWugga !